New to the site and REI, Washington state local

New to the site and REI, Washington state local

Member since 2021 · 13 posts · 3 votes

Good morning everyone! I am new to REI and bigger pockets and figured I'd start by saying hello! I've read several books and watched several videos on investing. Just need to take the jump. After I save up a few more grand.

1Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 333 posts · 459 votes
4y

Welcome :) You might start by doing what I did 20 years ago and am still doing - flipping mobile homes in mobile home parks. Why? I'll give you 3 quick typical examples. 

1) Purchased home for $5,000. Pretty up for $3,000. Total in $8,000. Sold for $24,000. 

2) Purchased home for $10,000. Pretty up for $10,000. Total in $20,000. Sold for $40,000. 

3) Purchased home for $50,000. Pretty up for $50,000. Total in $100,000. Sold for $170,000.

Mobile homes in parks are personal property, not real estate. Bought and sold like a car. Fast, simple, investment level choice, outstanding profit margins, not a lot of competition (most investors have no idea how or why this niche housing segment works).

Take the cash you make and invest in income producing real estate :)

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 333 posts · 459 votes
    4y

    Welcome :) You might start by doing what I did 20 years ago and am still doing - flipping mobile homes in mobile home parks. Why? I'll give you 3 quick typical examples. 

    1) Purchased home for $5,000. Pretty up for $3,000. Total in $8,000. Sold for $24,000. 

    2) Purchased home for $10,000. Pretty up for $10,000. Total in $20,000. Sold for $40,000. 

    3) Purchased home for $50,000. Pretty up for $50,000. Total in $100,000. Sold for $170,000.

    Mobile homes in parks are personal property, not real estate. Bought and sold like a car. Fast, simple, investment level choice, outstanding profit margins, not a lot of competition (most investors have no idea how or why this niche housing segment works).

    Take the cash you make and invest in income producing real estate :)

  • Member since 2021 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    Thank you Jerry!  I have indeed thought about turning mobile home parks myself.  I believe my biggest battle is with myself and the worry of (what if?) .   I still have yet to Watch an experienced investor actually do a walk through during a real transaction.   Seeing is believing I guess is where my mind is going ha ha.  I know once I see one successful transaction done then that’s be concrete for me to jump in nose first.  My end goal is to bring in at least 5-10K a month passive on the low end of my journey.  I know the times has severely changed since your beginning, how would you go about finding deals or getting started if you had to start from scratch with let’s say , No job, 3-4k$ in savings and credit score of let’s say 600 flat?    Just a small scenario to go by .   

  • Julio GonzalezPro Member
    Specialist · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets, Daryl!

    This is a great place to learn more about real estate investing so take advantage of all the great resources.

  • Justin WindhamPro Member
    Banker · Nationwide · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Daryl Allen

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets!

    You’ll find plenty of friendly, knowledgeable people willing to respond to your posts

    There are a few self-contained guides that you can access here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/guides


    I really like the alerts feature that can quickly guide you to current topics that might interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Daryl Allen:

    Good morning everyone! I am new to REI and bigger pockets and figured I'd start by saying hello! I've read several books and watched several videos on investing. Just need to take the jump. After I save up a few more grand.

    Welcome, Daryl.  Glad to have you! 

  • Member since 2021 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    Thanks guys! I'm addicted to reading REI books. I just need to save a bit more to start my journey . And possibly increase my credit score.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.