Newbie Beginning My Journey To Financial Freedom House Hacking

Newbie Beginning My Journey To Financial Freedom House Hacking

Member since 2021 · 37 posts · 18 votes

I'm scared to death but gaining more confidence everyday using all the tools provided her on the Bigger Pockets platform. Cant wait until I find and close on my first multi-family property, Any advice is welcome especially when looking at the turnkey housing opportunities on here. How does that work? Can FHA financing be used to purchase those? Please advise all the ins and outs to purchasing those.

2Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Justin WindhamPro Member
Banker · Nationwide · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
4y

@Shera Ewing

Welcome to Bigger Pockets!

You’ll find plenty of friendly, knowledgeable people willing to respond to your posts.

There are a few self-contained guides that you can access here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/guides

I really like the alerts feature that can quickly guide you to current topics that might interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Justin WindhamPro Member
    Banker · Nationwide · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Shera Ewing

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets!

    You’ll find plenty of friendly, knowledgeable people willing to respond to your posts.

    There are a few self-contained guides that you can access here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/guides

    I really like the alerts feature that can quickly guide you to current topics that might interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

  • Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Shera Ewing no, FHA insured loans are for owner-occupants only. If you plan to house hack a small multifamily (2-4 units), then utilizing an FHA-insured loan is highly recommended and is constantly discussed here on BP. If you're solely looking for a non-owner occupant investment, then more likely than not you'll have to go conventional. Start consulting with lenders now to get pre-approved and to determine how much you will qualify for. Hope this helps!

  • Andrew FreedBusiness Member
    Investor · Worcester, MA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Shera Ewing If you're looking to househack, I'd recommend starting with a 3-4 family (if possible since some areas don't have a large stock of these) with parking in a good location. Usually when you house hack a 3-4 family, you can live for free or close to free. Also with parking, you reduce the vacancy on a multi which tends to be one of your largest expenses. I'm house hacking right now so always feel free to DM me with questions. 

  • Member since 2021 · 37 posts · 18 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Justin Windham:

    @Shera Ewing

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets!

    You’ll find plenty of friendly, knowledgeable people willing to respond to your posts.

    There are a few self-contained guides that you can access here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/guides

    I really like the alerts feature that can quickly guide you to current topics that might interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts


  • Member since 2021 · 37 posts · 18 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Shera Ewing:
    Quote from @Justin Windham:

    @Shera Ewing

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets!

    You’ll find plenty of friendly, knowledgeable people willing to respond to your posts.

    There are a few self-contained guides that you can access here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/guides

    I really like the alerts feature that can quickly guide you to current topics that might interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

    Thank you! I appreciate your feedback! I will be checking those out so I can better navigate this platform.



  • Member since 2021 · 37 posts · 18 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Andrew Freed:

    @Shera Ewing If you're looking to househack, I'd recommend starting with a 3-4 family (if possible since some areas don't have a large stock of these) with parking in a good location. Usually when you house hack a 3-4 family, you can live for free or close to free. Also with parking, you reduce the vacancy on a multi which tends to be one of your largest expenses. I'm house hacking right now so always feel free to DM me with questions. 

    That’s exactly the route I’m trying to go. Just haven’t found anything in the right area with cash flow. It’s also find them turnkey. Thanks for being a resource for me. I will definitely be having questions! 
  • Member since 2021 · 37 posts · 18 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Michael Dumler:

    @Shera Ewing no, FHA insured loans are for owner-occupants only. If you plan to house hack a small multifamily (2-4 units), then utilizing an FHA-insured loan is highly recommended and is constantly discussed here on BP. If you're solely looking for a non-owner occupant investment, then more likely than not you'll have to go conventional. Start consulting with lenders now to get pre-approved and to determine how much you will qualify for. Hope this helps!

    Hi Michael.

    I’m already pre-approved for an FHA loan and looking for a multi-family unit now. Problem is so many need so much repair that I can’t afford. I’m looking for something more turnkey. That doesn’t require a lot to fix. Hopefully something comes up soon. I’m not in a rush. Just waiting… Lol
  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 941 votes
    4y

    @Shera Ewing If you are ok having roommates a single family house hack where you rent the rooms can also work really well!

  • Melissa CarterBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · ME · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 9 votes
    4y

    Welcome @Shera Ewing!

    I agree with @Conner Olsen 

    I am currently house hacking by renting out one room in my house. I think sometimes we want to jump right into it, when what we should focus on is building the foundation. 

    Reading as many articles as I can, listening to the podcasts in the car and getting involved in these forums has helped to take away the nerves. Start small and then build your way up!

    You got this!!

  • Memphis, TN · Member since 2021 · 82 posts · 37 votes
    4y

    @Shera Ewing welcome to Bigger Pockets. I strongly suggest using a company that you can trust and that has experience in the markets you're interested in. This platform is great for connecting with people in the real estate industry that have seen it all and have decades of experience. 

  • Member since 2021 · 37 posts · 18 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Melissa Carter:

    Welcome @Shera Ewing!

    I agree with @Conner Olsen 

    I am currently house hacking by renting out one room in my house. I think sometimes we want to jump right into it, when what we should focus on is building the foundation. 

    Reading as many articles as I can, listening to the podcasts in the car and getting involved in these forums has helped to take away the nerves. Start small and then build your way up!

    You got this!!

    Thanks for the vote of confidence Melissa!! I appreciate it! I’m taking in all information as I can too! This platform sure helps a lot! Glad I found it!
  • Member since 2021 · 37 posts · 18 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Conner Olsen:

    @Shera Ewing If you are ok having roommates a single family house hack where you rent the rooms can also work really well!

    Hi Conner!

    Hummmm. I’m going to have to seriously think about that one. I think the only way I would do that is if the property has an in-law suite. Wonder how common those are??? Hummm
  • Member since 2021 · 37 posts · 18 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Cade Edwards:

    @Shera Ewing welcome to Bigger Pockets. I strongly suggest using a company that you can trust and that has experience in the markets you're interested in. This platform is great for connecting with people in the real estate industry that have seen it all and have decades of experience. 

    Hi Cade!

    Thanks for the welcome! I was possibly coming to your area to buy, but starting local first. 
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.