New Member from Japan

New Member from Japan

Real Estate Investor · Minano, Saitama · Member since 2013 · 13 posts · 2 votes

Hello, I live in Japan with my Japanese husband and two children. I am from America. My husband and I first started thinking of investing in real estate over 10 years ago when we first got married. I'm embarrassed to say we haven't started. We have read many books and I even attended a seminar at a AZREIA where I was basically told we would have too much trouble getting financing through American banks because my husband is a foreigner and my salary is kept really low (we own our own company which is an English school) for Japanese tax reasons. I got frustrated and stopped moving forward, but the dream has not died!

Our plan is to invest in buy and hold rental properties. We would like to start with multifamily and move up to small apartment buildings. Our family goal is to be mobile. Our plan is to hire teacher/office manager to replace us in our school and possibly get some passive income from the profits of our school. It is small so after paying the employees, there might not be much. So the bulk of our passive income will come from real estate. We want to make enough to be free to move back and forth between the two countries and eventually retire and live off of the passive income.

I found the BP podcast about 10 days ago and I think I have listened to most of them. I just read a line from the Millionaire Real Estate Investor that said when the student is ready to learn the teacher will appear. I feel like BP did that for me. My husband and I debated about signing up for the Rich Dad coaching but it is such a chunk of money, we didn't. I'm so glad now! I really hope I can connect with someone who has experience being an expat and getting financing to invest in real estate in America. As soon as I can I will jump over to the forum and start asking questions. I am very excited to join the community. I feel like it might be the support I have been needing to make the leap. It has already been extremely motivating. Thank you!

Sincerely,

Kristin Shitara

1Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Tokyo, WI · Member since 2013 · 38 posts · 3 votes
12y

Hi Walter,

I've been meaning to go back and read all of your posts. Keyword: Japan. I'm interested in at least learning about investing in Japan--thinking about it in the long term. I'm paying rent in Tokyo. I've had thoughts of buying a 3LDK and renting out two rooms. For now, I'm starting off back in my hometown (where there definitely aren't any earthquakes). I'm purchasing my first multi-family in the middle of June. It's my summer project and a way grow some roots back home. Giving it a try to see what can be done from overseas.

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Tokyo, WI · Member since 2013 · 38 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    @kristin shitara

    Hi Kristin,

    You might have a way around the no credit issue if you find the right lender that is willing to translate your credit in Japan.(????) Maybe a big bank like HSBC or Citibank or the other end of the spectrum, a local bank that is willing to do an in house loan for you.

    Also, if your US credit card had a 2% foreign transaction fee, I can recommend the US credit card I use.

    ????????^_^

  • Investor · Nagano, Nagano · Member since 2014 · 66 posts · 18 votes
    12y

    Hello @Kristin Shitara , @Patrick C. and @Matt E. ,

    I was just curious as to what kind of deals your doing in the US? Have you looked at investing in Japan as well and what did you think?

    Have a great day!

    Walter

  • Tokyo, WI · Member since 2013 · 38 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    Hi Walter,

    I've been meaning to go back and read all of your posts. Keyword: Japan. I'm interested in at least learning about investing in Japan--thinking about it in the long term. I'm paying rent in Tokyo. I've had thoughts of buying a 3LDK and renting out two rooms. For now, I'm starting off back in my hometown (where there definitely aren't any earthquakes). I'm purchasing my first multi-family in the middle of June. It's my summer project and a way grow some roots back home. Giving it a try to see what can be done from overseas.

  • Investor · Nagano, Nagano · Member since 2014 · 66 posts · 18 votes
    12y

    Hey @Matt E. ! Your line about the "no earthquakes" made me chuckle - such a valid concern here! Let me know how the close goes on your deal in Wisconsin. Obviously having the team on the ground will be the key. Look forward to hearing about it and chatting when you come back after the summer!

    Cheers!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.