New and aspiring real estate investor

New and aspiring real estate investor

Keene, NH · Member since 2023 · 22 posts · 13 votes

Hello, I am new to the BiggerPockets Forums and wanted to give a little introduction about myself and how I came across the forums. Currently I am a Senior at Keene State College in NH! Originally from the central Massachusetts area where I went to a Tech school to study carpentry. Fast forward to now, I double majoring in Construction Management & Occupational Health and Safety, along with a minor in Business Management. I am currently one of two captains on the Men's Basketball team here. My graduation year will be 2023-2024 due to the pandemic which allowed me to stay an extra year to participate in sports and add my second major!

Not too long ago I was fortunate enough to come across the BiggerPockets Podcast sent to me by a friend. Always interested in real estate, I decided to give it a listen from the beginning. After listening to over 30 episodes, reading How to Invest in Real Estate, and Rich Dad Poor Dad (Everyones favorite lol) I decided it was time for me to create an account and begin networking with other likeminded investors in my area. I hope to continue to learn about real estate through the forums, but I am also on here to ask many questions that will help me succeed as a young investor. 

If anyone has book suggestions or any advice for a new investor like myself I would love to converse and learn from each other, Thanks!

0Reply
7 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · San Diego, CA · Member since 2022 · 587 posts · 298 votes
3y

Hi Jeffrey! 

First off, welcome to BP! This platform is the place to be. 

I actually went to high school in Newburyport and went to Manchester quite a lot before I moved to SD! 

That's so exciting you're interested in real estate. I would love to offer insight and discuss your interests in real estate. Feel free to DM me if you're interested in connecting.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Keene, NH · Member since 2018 · 38 posts · 14 votes
    3y

    Hi @Jeffrey Hunter! I am a local real estate agent and an investor based out of Keene! I love seeing other people get into this at a young age, and would love to meet up and talk some real estate with you. I also host a real estate investing meetup here in Keene once a month, it was at Modestman this month so feel free to come out to the next one and meet some local investors.

    Also a big basketball guy, so I might have to catch a game!

  • Lender · San Diego, CA · Member since 2022 · 587 posts · 298 votes
    3y

    Hi Jeffrey! 

    First off, welcome to BP! This platform is the place to be. 

    I actually went to high school in Newburyport and went to Manchester quite a lot before I moved to SD! 

    That's so exciting you're interested in real estate. I would love to offer insight and discuss your interests in real estate. Feel free to DM me if you're interested in connecting.

  • Keene, NH · Member since 2023 · 22 posts · 13 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Shane Moynihan:

    Hi @Jeffrey Hunter! I am a local real estate agent and an investor based out of Keene! I love seeing other people get into this at a young age, and would love to meet up and talk some real estate with you. I also host a real estate investing meetup here in Keene once a month, it was at Modestman this month so feel free to come out to the next one and meet some local investors.

    Also a big basketball guy, so I might have to catch a game!

    That is awesome, I'd love to share contacts with each other and meet up! I just got out of our pregame practice. We actually have a home game tomorrow at 7:30 vs one of our rivals schools. If you are interested in going, I could get you on the ticket list.

    Are you doing a February meet up at Modestman? If so, I am interested in attending and meeting local investors in Keene.  

    Also, is the best phone # to reach you the one attached to your profile?
  • Keene, NH · Member since 2023 · 22 posts · 13 votes
    3y

    Hi Alli!

    Thanks for the warm welcome to BP! I sent you a connection request. I am still getting familiar with the forums and how to navigate around them. Would love to chat through DM! 

  • Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2022 · 198 posts · 161 votes
    3y

    Congrats on taking that first step, Jeffrey! It’ll be a fun journey! Good luck with your endeavors! 

  • Dan SheeksPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 621 posts · 362 votes
    3y

    Hello Jeffery. I saw your post in the forums.

    Bigger Pockets recently published a book that's perfect for you! It's called First to a Million. You should check it out! www.biggerpockets.com/teen. I am the book's author and would be happy to answer any questions or jump on a phone call if you'd like.

    I'm always happy to talk to young aspiring investors. I'm also a real estate investor and high school business teacher, so working with young people is what I love to do! Best of luck to you!

    Dan Sheeks

  • Keene, NH · Member since 2023 · 22 posts · 13 votes
    3y

    Thanks for the response, Dan! 

    I would love to read your book! I'll take a look at it and send you a few messages. Currently I am looking to further my knowledge in financing, analyzing, and finding deals. Specifically house hacking. I believe that finding a duplex/triplex in my area that pays for my expenses is the perfect way to start my investing portfolio.

    As for your teaching career, that is extremely cool. My high school had a business tech trade that was available to students. I decided to go the carpentry path. If we could have done both, I would've. It is important we start implementing curriculum like business and finance classes for younger generations.

  • Brett MerrillBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Ludlow, MA · Member since 2016 · 114 posts · 48 votes
    3y

    Hi @Jeffrey Hunter. Welcome to BP! Looks like you are off and running. I am a huge advocate for house hacking and highly recommend this strategy to slingshot your REI business. If done properly, there's no better way to leverage your money in my opinion. The key to a successful house hack boils down to knowing your market, proper analysis, and having your team in place. The best part is all of this can be obtained through BP including the forums, reading lists, webinars, calculators and meetups. I love discussing this strategy so please feel free to connect and I'd be happy to help to the best of my ability.

  • Lien VuongBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Boston, MA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Welcome to the community! I think you're definitely on the right path to become an investor. Given you major I think you should intern for a construction company (maybe in the summer?) who focuses on investors to see how the business is and what some of the day to day is like. There's nothing in an in person and real life example. 

  • Keene, NH · Member since 2023 · 22 posts · 13 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Brett Merrill:

    Hi @Jeffrey Hunter. Welcome to BP! Looks like you are off and running. I am a huge advocate for house hacking and highly recommend this strategy to slingshot your REI business. If done properly, there's no better way to leverage your money in my opinion. The key to a successful house hack boils down to knowing your market, proper analysis, and having your team in place. The best part is all of this can be obtained through BP including the forums, reading lists, webinars, calculators and meetups. I love discussing this strategy so please feel free to connect and I'd be happy to help to the best of my ability.


    Brett, thank you for the welcome! I am enjoying BP so far. Tons of kind and likeminded individuals on here that are willing to help each other - Just an overall great community!

    House Hacking is definitely in my best interest. Currently working on building my team of individuals who will help me succeed! I would be interested in speaking about strategy through DM. I sent you an invitation to connect. Look forward to talking!

  • Keene, NH · Member since 2023 · 22 posts · 13 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Lien Vuong:

    Welcome to the community! I think you're definitely on the right path to become an investor. Given you major I think you should intern for a construction company (maybe in the summer?) who focuses on investors to see how the business is and what some of the day to day is like. There's nothing in an in person and real life example. 


     Hey Lien!

    That is something I have thought about. This past summer I did a safety internship with a Construction Insurance Broker out of Boston, MA! It was an overall great experience getting to see the ins and outs of construction. I traveled to over 8 states and visited apartment complexes, skyscrapers, concrete plants, windmill farms, and much more! Most of these projects I got to see at different stages throughout the project so it gave me some real world experience that was beneficial to me and my investing career. As of right now, I am trying to decide whether I will be doing an internship as a project manager or taking a chance to focus on myself, my real estate, and trading journey. I am weighing my options. Any input would be great!

  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2019 · 179 posts · 91 votes
    3y

    Welcome Jeffrey!

    There's lots of things to do in real estate. Instead of trying to do a bunch of things at once, write down what your goals are then pick a strategy in RE that'll support you in that goal and FOCUS. Follow One Course Until Successful. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.