New from Los Angeles

New from Los Angeles

Investor · Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2013 · 147 posts · 50 votes

Hello to the BP community!

I'm O'brian, 29 years old, and new to the real estate investing world. I'm living in Los Angeles where I work full-time as an aerospace engineer. I came across BiggerPockets through the podcast a few months ago and it opened a whole world of opportunities in my mind. The last couple months I've just been reading real estate books, listening to podcasts, and just educating myself in my spare time. I also just finished my graduate studies at USC, literally 3 days ago so now I've got no more excuses to not begin this real estate adventure.

I'm interested in the buy and hold model of SFH or multifamilies that cashflow because I'm committed to invest for the long haul. I'm realizing how challenging it is to find property in LA that makes economic sense so I'm interested in investing out of the county (up to 2 hour drive) or even out of state. To be quite honest, the out of state investing sort of scares me since I haven't even purchased property before, though compared to LA's market the numbers in Memphis or Dallas to name a few are very attractive.

In any case, I'm here on BiggerPockets looking to chat, meet, and network with like-minded individuals or experienced investors. My goal is to acquire my first property in 2014 before I turn 30! But first, I need to start taking action in 3..2..1...

Thanks and looking forward to meeting everyone!

O'brian Rossi

0Reply
66 views

Most Popular Reply

J. MartinPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
12y

Welcome O'brian, from Norther California.

It's definitely hard to find anywhere near the ratios talked about on BP on the left coast. But there are some out there in less "prime' areas. I haven't gone out of state yet, but many do.. I'm a 'fix and hold' investor too because I don't want to have to do flips my whole life.. lol Here's some tips for the site..

You'll find lots of good info in the "Learn" link across the top navigation bar, and in the link at the top of this introduction forum. You can tag people by putting @ in front of their name, then clicking their name when it pops up at the bottom of the message box. You can click on the "vote" button if you like someone's post or is helpful. And you can earn "awards" for various "achievements" - just look at your profile. Hope that helps with the site! Good luck on your investments!

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Consultant · Camarillo, CA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Be sure to check out my Meetup in WH

    http://www.meetup.com/Commercial-Real-Estate-Mastermind-Network/

  • Investor · Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2013 · 147 posts · 50 votes
    12y

    @Christopher Cafferty

    Thanks for sharing. I haven't had any personal experience with HOAs, but your experience sounds like a train wreck waiting to happen with you as an investor having little to no control to avoid it, other than not investing in them from the beginning! If we meet up at Ali's thing, we should definitely talk more.

    @Matt R.

    Hope to meet you at Ali's as well!

  • Developer · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2009 · 15 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    Hello there Mr. Rossi, welcome aboard...you've got options and not just in CA but right over the border in Las Vegas as well...Check my sig line and let's get in contact.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Temecula, CA · Member since 2014 · 1 post · 0 votes
    12y

    Welcome @obrian

    The riverside county area is still a great place to find buy and hold properties. Specifically, the Hemet San Jacinto areas. Altough hemets interior is less than desirable... there is proposed growth on the westside. Im an agent in the area and have seen first hand equity/ flipping/ buy and hold potential. would love to connect with you if youre interested.

  • Investor · El Segundo, CA · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 11 votes
    12y

    Hi O'Brian, Welcome to BP! We're also new investors in the So Cal area.

  • Investor · Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2013 · 147 posts · 50 votes
    12y

    @James Shelby @Xavier Ramirez Thanks for the welcome. I'm not familiar with the Las Vegas or Hemet market, but I am looking for cashflowing properties in stable and growing markets.The higher than national avg unemployment rates are a little worrisome to me though.

  • Investor · Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2013 · 147 posts · 50 votes
    12y

    Hi @Leah M., I work right in El Segundo!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.