New Member Introduction

New Member Introduction

New to Real Estate · Georgetown ON · Member since 2025 · 10 posts · 2 votes

Hello Everyone,

My name is Bob Judge, and I am 45 years old. I am currently based in Canada and am looking to embark on my real estate investment journey in the United States, specifically focusing on multifamily properties.

While I own a house in Canada, which has been my only investment so far, I am eager to diversify my portfolio and begin investing in real estate in the USA. My goal is to retire within the next 10 years, and I’m looking to build a strong and sustainable portfolio that will enable me to enjoy my retirement years.

I have done some research, but I’ve found that many mentors and coaches are asking for significant fees, which feels like a large financial commitment, especially as a newcomer to real estate investing. As such, I am reaching out for expert advice on how best to start my journey in real estate, particularly as a Canadian looking to invest in the U.S.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance, resources, or recommendations you may have for someone in my position. Your expertise and advice would be invaluable as I begin this exciting venture.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you.

0Reply
32 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Tyler, TX · Member since 2016 · 49 posts · 23 votes
    1y

    Hi Bob,

    Investing in U.S. multifamily properties as a Canadian is a big step, but it’s doable with the right preparation. Start by talking to a cross-border CPA and attorney to handle taxes and legal structures properly. Consider starting small, like with a duplex, to get experience. Skip the pricey coaches for now, there are plenty of free resources like here on BiggerPockets and YouTube. Networking with Canadians who’ve invested in the U.S. and finding good local agents or property managers will also help a lot. Take it one step at a time, and you’ll get there. Good luck!

    • New to Real Estate · Georgetown ON · Member since 2025 · 10 posts · 2 votes
      1y

      @Jeffrey Robison Thank you for the great advice! I’ll definitely reach out to a cross-border CPA and attorney and start small with a duplex. I’ll also check out the free resources on BiggerPockets and YouTube. Networking with Canadians who’ve invested in the U.S. sounds like a great idea. Thanks again for your support!

  • New to Real Estate · Georgetown ON · Member since 2025 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    1y

    .

  • Lender · Tyler, TX · Member since 2016 · 49 posts · 23 votes
    1y

    Depending on your finances you don't necessarily need to start with a duplex, but I wouldn't go any more than 4 unit if you're going residential. That's just my opinion, some will say with the right deal go get that 100 unit deal. 😁

    • New to Real Estate · Georgetown ON · Member since 2025 · 10 posts · 2 votes
      1y

      @Jeffrey Robison 

      Thanks for the advice! I’m planning to start by buying in Buffalo to gain experience and learn the ropes. I believe starting with something smaller will help me build the knowledge I need before considering larger deals down the road. Appreciate your input!

  • Matthew Irish-JonesBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    The process is a lot easier if you find the right agent.  The right agent will have worked with Canadians before, will have lenders set up that can work with Canadians and will have a seamless process for management.

    Not only can an agent set you up with a GC, property manager, lawyer, insurance broker, inspector and everything else you need, they can analyze deals and put numbers in front of you.

    Your job as an investor is to vet the vendors they are providing and double check their analysis.  There is an much art as science in financial projections and numbers change with the market.  Since pro forma's are a projection they are as good as their assumptions, as an investor, you need to agree with the underlying assumptions. 

    Irish Jones Realty4.947 Reviews
    View Page
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.