Publishing Sales Exec interested in Real Estate Investing!

Publishing Sales Exec interested in Real Estate Investing!

New to Real Estate · NY · Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 1 vote

Hi everyone,

My name is Hunter and I've previously lived a large part of my life in Germany and China, having returned to the US permanently for three years now. I currently work as a sales executive for a large printing company, and I'm based out of New York. 

Two things at the same time led to me registering for these forums. One, my wife and I were recently looking around for our first place to own, and the financial side of it seemed rather rough for NYC. Then my wife coincidentally bought Rich Dad, Poor Dad and after reading it, my perspective has changed dramatically. I now see the money we've saved for our first residence as a good opportunity to begin our real estate portfolio and take control of our financial lives. 

I'm hoping I can build good foundations with BiggerPockets. I've seen many Google Searches with this name, and just today I also discovered the ultimate beginner investor's guide at my local bookstore, so I had to join and see what it's all about. 

I've now seen courses from BiggerPockets, I attended my first real estate seminar last Friday, made an appointment with a potential real estate coach for month's end, and lately I've now been looking into some beginner online courses from NYU. At this point, does anyone have any resources to learn that I absolutely cannot miss? Any good books, or important seminars? 

Thank everyone for reading and I'm so excited to begin this journey! 

0Reply
18 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Charlottesville Virginia · Member since 2021 · 348 posts · 346 votes
    1y

    Hello Hunter, 

    Congrats on your success as a sales executive and wanting to get involved in real estate investing! I don't necessarily have content recommendations. However, my biggest piece of advice for people with situations like yours is to house hack. House hacking might require a little more creativity in NYC than other places but the fundamentals are still the same. Almost always it will be the highest ROI thing that you can do with your money. My first deal was a house hack and when you combine rent savings, appreciation, loan paydown, tax savings, and in this case even cash flow, my internal rate of return (sorta like ROI but more detailed) was almost 300% annually. Not every deal is that good, I definitely got lucky on my first one, but still house hacks almost always will give better returns than other options.

    Feel free to reach out if you have any questions or want to learn more about house hacking!

  • New to Real Estate · NY · Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    Hi Jacob,

    Thanks for your reply! Actually I left some details out of that first post that are important to the plans that are kinda coming together in my head at the moment.

    I'm originally from South Carolina, where I'm relatively familiar with the market having all of my family still living down there. My dad is also an experienced contractor who could flip a house for me if I invested in one within a certain radius of him. I think I'd have an easier time assembling a team down there and having local people available, not to mention homes down there are much more affordable. There are still a ton of unanswered questions about this plan though. Where exactly to buy, how to buy, how to spot the deal, etc... For that missing chunk of the process, I'm getting as many books and seminars as I can right now to at least get a framework down.

    It feels a little overwhelming right now, but slowly I feel like there are some workable pieces of the puzzle coming together.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.