New to real estate looking for passive investment opportunities

Most Popular Reply

Brett SynickyPro Member
Solo 401k and SDIRA Consultant · Orange, CA · Member since 2013 · 873 posts · 498 votes
1y
Quote from @Steve Yount:

Recently retired, looking to invest 401k assets outside of the public markets.


Basically two options. SDIRA or Solo 401k if you're self employed. Within them you can have checkbook control or go through the custodian for everything. Look at the two options and make the best decision based on your goals. Here's a couple articles about checkbook IRA and solo 401k. Educate yourself on disqualified parties and prohibited transactions. Couple articles below on those topics as well.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/member-blogs/2810/blog_posts/2...

https://www.biggerpockets.com/member-blogs/2810/21298-solo-4...

https://www.biggerpockets.com/member-blogs/2810/47960-disqua...

https://www.biggerpockets.com/member-blogs/2810/44738-prohib...

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brett SynickyPro Member
    Solo 401k and SDIRA Consultant · Orange, CA · Member since 2013 · 873 posts · 498 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Steve Yount:

    Recently retired, looking to invest 401k assets outside of the public markets.


    Basically two options. SDIRA or Solo 401k if you're self employed. Within them you can have checkbook control or go through the custodian for everything. Look at the two options and make the best decision based on your goals. Here's a couple articles about checkbook IRA and solo 401k. Educate yourself on disqualified parties and prohibited transactions. Couple articles below on those topics as well.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/member-blogs/2810/blog_posts/2...

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/member-blogs/2810/21298-solo-4...

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/member-blogs/2810/47960-disqua...

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/member-blogs/2810/44738-prohib...

  • Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    1y

    Thanks.  I will check it out.

  • Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    1y

    @Brett Synicky Thanks for providing these links. I probably did not make my situation clear as I am just starting to learn the lingo. I'm retired, and have rolled most of my 401K assets over to IRA's, but those IRA's are not performing. I'm going to ask my finance guys if any of them are setup as self-directed, but I doubt it. I'm not really interested in cash flow. I'm interested in capital appreciation. Can someone tell me what the options are for that?

    • Brett SynickyPro Member
      Solo 401k and SDIRA Consultant · Orange, CA · Member since 2013 · 873 posts · 498 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Steve Yount:

      @Brett Synicky Thanks for providing these links. I probably did not make my situation clear as I am just starting to learn the lingo. I'm retired, and have rolled most of my 401K assets over to IRA's, but those IRA's are not performing. I'm going to ask my finance guys if any of them are setup as self-directed, but I doubt it. I'm not really interested in cash flow. I'm interested in capital appreciation. Can someone tell me what the options are for that?

      You’re welcome. The beauty of the self-directed retirement space is that you get to self direct. Generally speaking it’s probably a good idea to invest in what you’re already comfortable with.
  • Gregory SchwartzBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · College Station, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    There’s a wide spectrum of passive real estate investments—are you looking to lend, buy a fixer-upper, or invest in turnkey properties? Each option has different levels of involvement, risk, and return. Clarifying your goals can help narrow down the best strategy for your 401k assets.

  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    If you had money in the market with the exception of the past few months it should have been performing extremely well. What is your asset allocation? That might be the problem. I haven't found RE to be passive unless you are considering REITs which in my brief experience were mimicking the TSM, syndications or lending. 

  • Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    1y

    @Jules Aton. Thanks.  I'm allocating a lot more assets to fixed income and bonds because I am taking a beating on equities.  I'm not really interested in REITs.  I like what I am learning about syndications, accredited investor banking, and better tax strategies.

  • Julio GonzalezPro Member
    Specialist · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Hi Steve, you came to the right place! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Lakeland, TN · Member since 2015 · 214 posts · 105 votes
    1y

    @Steve Yount we work with lots of investors in your situation. We actually point you in the right direction to get your assets rolled over into a SDIRA vehicle and then we work with a lender that does non-recourse loans or you can purchase our turnkey options with cash from your SDIRA. 

    Non-recourse loan rates are in the mid-7% range  currently with various amortization periods up to 30- year amortization periods.

  • Todd AndersonPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2023 · 392 posts · 175 votes
    1y

    @Steve Yount,

    This is a great and very under utilizesd way to invest in Real Estate.  

    I am currently working with an investor that is doing this exact thing.  She has a SDIRA in which she needed to deploy 400k.  We found that she could purchase two new construction duplexes. She will keep a small amount of capital in the SDIRA to cover expenses. Most of the expenses should be very minimal because the properties are new construction and carry a builders warranty.

    This investor that I'm working with, has been very impressed with the ease of this process, and the ability for it to be hands off in the future. The only small complication is the lending criteria, which we were able to navigate easily.

    Feel free to connect if you're interested in the details of all this worked.

    Best of luck.

  • Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    1y

    @Todd Anderson Thanks.  Sounds interesting.  I will get back to you if I decide to go that route.  In which case, I would like the see the analysis of the deal, or a reasonable facsimile.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.