Trying to decide what to do with 1031 money

Trying to decide what to do with 1031 money

Member since 2024 · 1 post · 1 vote

Currently I’m the GP of a family LP with RE assets. We’re in the process of selling a property worth several million and I’m feeling overwhelmed by the options of what to reinvest it in. Some partners would benefit from more immediate cash flow with less involvement, whereas other partners prefer the long game and are capable of managing the day-to-day responsibilities. We’ve discussed multi-unit, hotels, RV parks, syndication, and single-family, etc.
I've created a TIC interest so each can go their own route with the 1031, but they're looking to me to help them decide which route is best, and then find and purchase the property(ies).
So, I’m looking for someone who has experience with investing in these many different areas, who might be willing to help me understand the pros and cons of each option. 
I’d also be grateful for any book/podcast recommendations that specifically breakdown the what, why, and how for comparing the different options. (Besides Brandon Turner- I’ve already read them)

Thank you in advance! 

1Reply
23 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    1y

    Hi Mesia

    Im an analyst at Marcus & Millichap here in Southern California. My team has worked on deals across the country and we actually have a member of our team out in Utah who's currently working on a 1031 for a client. I'd be happy to connect you

  • Robert EllisBusiness Member
    Developer · Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Mesia Swan:

    Currently I’m the GP of a family LP with RE assets. We’re in the process of selling a property worth several million and I’m feeling overwhelmed by the options of what to reinvest it in. Some partners would benefit from more immediate cash flow with less involvement, whereas other partners prefer the long game and are capable of managing the day-to-day responsibilities. We’ve discussed multi-unit, hotels, RV parks, syndication, and single-family, etc.
    I've created a TIC interest so each can go their own route with the 1031, but they're looking to me to help them decide which route is best, and then find and purchase the property(ies).
    So, I’m looking for someone who has experience with investing in these many different areas, who might be willing to help me understand the pros and cons of each option. 
    I’d also be grateful for any book/podcast recommendations that specifically breakdown the what, why, and how for comparing the different options. (Besides Brandon Turner- I’ve already read them)

    Thank you in advance! 


     I'd invest in a fund and become a GP and push returns. Sponsor your own deals with your track record. stay an active role, get on a board of directors or advisory board so you have involvement in the fund every month. I have an example I can send you if you want to speak further 

  • Julio GonzalezPro Member
    Specialist · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Welcome, Mesia! Sounds like you’re navigating some big decisions—excited to see where you take this!

  • Real Estate Agent · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2020 · 490 posts · 205 votes
    1y

    If you are interested in chatting short term rentals, I am in the local SLC area, happy to chat. I have had a few clients invest in STRs via 1031 because of their additional tax benefits and possibilites. 

  • Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    1y

    Hi Mesia,

    I'd be happy to share my insights. I’ve owned and operated apartments, an RV park, and a boutique hotel through syndications, so I understand the nuances of each asset type. I’d be glad to offer insight into each of these asset classes and help vet any potential deals. If you’d like to chat further, let me know and we can hop on a call to discuss.

  • Realtor · Provo, UT · Member since 2020 · 374 posts · 270 votes
    1y

    Would be happy to chat. I've done about every investment strategy personally and have invested in 3 markets across the country.

  • Andrew HasserPro Member
    Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2023 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    Have your team member come to the Utah Real Estate Exchange meetups. Plenty of 1031 targets.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.