New to STRs and Landlording in General

New to STRs and Landlording in General

Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 6 votes

Good morning,

My wife and I are looking to buy a STR and I've done some research and reading, but there is always so much left to learn. Good books so far have been Short-Term Rental Tax Secrets and Every Airbnb Host's Tax Guide (still working on this one). I posted a question in the STR forum looking for confirmation and/or guidance on our plan. If someone is able to answer it or even just address a portion, that would be helpful (I realized it's quite long after I posted it). I tend to bounce around the web a lot looking for information, but this forum seems to stand out above others for quality information, and any help is appreciated. Thx.

Justin in Sacramento

5Reply
18 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2021 · 516 posts · 408 votes
    1y

    What's up Justin, I'm a local broker, investor, and I manage 100+ Airbnb properties. Sacramento has been a very stable market for STR so you're definitely on the right track. I didn't see your other post but I'll have a look now and DM you :)

  • Julio GonzalezPro Member
    Specialist · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Hi Justin, welcome to BiggerPockets! You're off to a great start. STRs can be a great wealth-building tool, and this community has tons of experience to share! 

    -Julio

  • Scott ScovilleBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2019 · 497 posts · 272 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Justin Unck:

    Good morning,

    My wife and I are looking to buy a STR and I've done some research and reading, but there is always so much left to learn. Good books so far have been Short-Term Rental Tax Secrets and Every Airbnb Host's Tax Guide (still working on this one). I posted a question in the STR forum looking for confirmation and/or guidance on our plan. If someone is able to answer it or even just address a portion, that would be helpful (I realized it's quite long after I posted it). I tend to bounce around the web a lot looking for information, but this forum seems to stand out above others for quality information, and any help is appreciated. Thx.

    Justin in Sacramento


    Hey Justin, I'm an investor in Sacramento, mostly LTR's and MTR's. A lot of investors are pulling out of the STR market in Sacramento do to over supply and lack of demand. Vacancies are up with STR's. If you do decide to go the STR route, make sure that the deal still pencils as an LTR. Happy to chat about over phone anytime.

    Scoville Realty & Investments LLC
  • Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 6 votes
    1y

    Hi Scott, thank you, while we are located in Sacramento, the property in question is in Mendocino on the coast.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.