Recent College Grad looking to buy my first rental

Recent College Grad looking to buy my first rental

New to Real Estate · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2025 · 1 post · 2 votes

Hi everyone!

My name is William, and I’m excited to officially join the BiggerPockets community! I’ve been learning from podcasts and YouTube for a while now, and I finally decided to create a profile here so I can learn more within this community.

I'm from Chattanooga, TN, and just got my B.B.A. in finance and a minor in CSCI. I was just hired full-time to work in Ai-Tech Sales, but I'd like to start house hacking as soon as possible. I've always been drawn to the idea of financial freedom through real estate. Right now, I'm working on analyzing deals, and I've been focused on multifamily homes, but haven't found one that makes sense for me. I plan to take out an FHA loan to make this possible, but I'm worried about picking the wrong place. Overall, I just want to learn a lot about real estate by reading about other people's experiences until I can decide for myself.

I look forward to connecting with other like-minded people out there and learn from everyone! 

2Reply
38 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 11 votes
    1y

    William,

    Best of luck in finding a home that is suitable for you! House-hacking is definitely the way to go if you're just starting out. My wife and I have done it twice with duplexes. We did live-in remodels and used medium-term rental strategies to maximize income. A couple of recommendations: connect with a realtor in your area and learn where the decent neighborhoods are and don't buy a home based on emotion or the "need" to close a deal. Also, look for houses with mother-in-law suites or ADU's in addition to small multi-family. If you have any questions, let me know!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.