19-Year-Old Apprentice in DFW | Starting My Real Estate Journey

19-Year-Old Apprentice in DFW | Starting My Real Estate Journey

New to Real Estate · Southfield, DFW · Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 6 votes

Hey Everybody,

My name’s Caleb, I’m 19 years old and currently working full-time as an apprentice electrician in the Dallas–Fort Worth area. I work long hours in the trade, but I’ve been using my free time to study real estate investing. My main interest right now is house hacking — I’d like to buy my first property within the next couple of years and turn it into the foundation for a rental portfolio.

I don’t come from a real estate background, but I’m committed to learning and putting in the work. I’ve been diving into books like The Millionaire Real Estate Investor and listening to BiggerPockets podcasts, and I’m starting to really understand how powerful real estate can be for building wealth.

I joined this community because I want to surround myself with people who are actually doing the things I want to do. I’m here to learn, contribute where I can, and connect with other investors — especially those active in the DFW area.

Looking forward to learning from you all and eventually sharing my own progress here.

Caleb

5Reply
89 views

Most Popular Reply

Diego AlvaradoBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Flower Mound, TX · Member since 2016 · 297 posts · 139 votes
1y

Hi Caleb, 

Welcome to BP and to real estate investing!!! It is great you are ready to start this young. 

Electrician is a very good place to begin, as such, I would recommend you, if as an electrician you work in houses, that you check and learn about the problems that a house has in every aspect even though you can't do any hands-on you can ask how it was fixed and understand the lifetime of a house.

Then to begin in real estate investing you have to begin planning on your first purchase from now. Look at your saving for the down-payment, plan for your first house hacking, etc.

There are many ways to get to the same goal. You just have to be diligent in your finances.

Reach out if you have any questions.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Diego AlvaradoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Flower Mound, TX · Member since 2016 · 297 posts · 139 votes
    1y

    Hi Caleb, 

    Welcome to BP and to real estate investing!!! It is great you are ready to start this young. 

    Electrician is a very good place to begin, as such, I would recommend you, if as an electrician you work in houses, that you check and learn about the problems that a house has in every aspect even though you can't do any hands-on you can ask how it was fixed and understand the lifetime of a house.

    Then to begin in real estate investing you have to begin planning on your first purchase from now. Look at your saving for the down-payment, plan for your first house hacking, etc.

    There are many ways to get to the same goal. You just have to be diligent in your finances.

    Reach out if you have any questions.

  • New to Real Estate · Southfield, DFW · Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 6 votes
    1y

    Thanks for the welcome! I should clarify — I’m actually a commercial electrician, so I don’t see residential situations often, but working around large systems has given me a solid understanding of how buildings in general are put together. I know residential issues are different, so I’ve been making an effort to learn more about those separately since I know they’ll come up when I start investing.

    Right now my main focus is being disciplined with my finances and stacking capital for a down payment, so that’s where most of my energy is going. Out of curiosity, when you were preparing for your first investment, how did you approach saving for the down payment?

  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2021 · 142 posts · 59 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Caleb Trejo:

    Hey Everybody,

    My name’s Caleb, I’m 19 years old and currently working full-time as an apprentice electrician in the Dallas–Fort Worth area. I work long hours in the trade, but I’ve been using my free time to study real estate investing. My main interest right now is house hacking — I’d like to buy my first property within the next couple of years and turn it into the foundation for a rental portfolio.

    I don’t come from a real estate background, but I’m committed to learning and putting in the work. I’ve been diving into books like The Millionaire Real Estate Investor and listening to BiggerPockets podcasts, and I’m starting to really understand how powerful real estate can be for building wealth.

    I joined this community because I want to surround myself with people who are actually doing the things I want to do. I’m here to learn, contribute where I can, and connect with other investors — especially those active in the DFW area.

    Looking forward to learning from you all and eventually sharing my own progress here.

    Caleb


     Hi Caleb

    I love that you're so young and already thinking of this. I wish I would have started investing at your age. With that said, you may be able to invest sooner than you think.

    I'd love to introduce you to a lender of mine who is highly knowledgeable about investment loans and strategies. She is also local in the DFW area and so am I. It's important to align yourself with people who are local to the area. 

    • New to Real Estate · Southfield, DFW · Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 6 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Kristin Flores-Brockman:
      Quote from @Caleb Trejo:

      Hey Everybody,

      My name’s Caleb, I’m 19 years old and currently working full-time as an apprentice electrician in the Dallas–Fort Worth area. I work long hours in the trade, but I’ve been using my free time to study real estate investing. My main interest right now is house hacking — I’d like to buy my first property within the next couple of years and turn it into the foundation for a rental portfolio.

      I don’t come from a real estate background, but I’m committed to learning and putting in the work. I’ve been diving into books like The Millionaire Real Estate Investor and listening to BiggerPockets podcasts, and I’m starting to really understand how powerful real estate can be for building wealth.

      I joined this community because I want to surround myself with people who are actually doing the things I want to do. I’m here to learn, contribute where I can, and connect with other investors — especially those active in the DFW area.

      Looking forward to learning from you all and eventually sharing my own progress here.

      Caleb


       Hi Caleb

      I love that you're so young and already thinking of this. I wish I would have started investing at your age. With that said, you may be able to invest sooner than you think.

      I'd love to introduce you to a lender of mine who is highly knowledgeable about investment loans and strategies. She is also local in the DFW area and so am I. It's important to align yourself with people who are local to the area. 


      Thanks so much for the encouragement! I really appreciate that. I’d definitely be open to connecting with your lender — learning more about financing options is something I know will be a huge part of getting started the right way. Since I’m focused on house hacking as my first step, I’d love to hear what strategies she recommends for someone just starting out in DFW.

  • TX · Member since 2023 · 19 posts · 4 votes
    11mo
    Quote from @Caleb Trejo:

    Hey Everybody,

    My name’s Caleb, I’m 19 years old and currently working full-time as an apprentice electrician in the Dallas–Fort Worth area. I work long hours in the trade, but I’ve been using my free time to study real estate investing. My main interest right now is house hacking — I’d like to buy my first property within the next couple of years and turn it into the foundation for a rental portfolio.

    I don’t come from a real estate background, but I’m committed to learning and putting in the work. I’ve been diving into books like The Millionaire Real Estate Investor and listening to BiggerPockets podcasts, and I’m starting to really understand how powerful real estate can be for building wealth.

    I joined this community because I want to surround myself with people who are actually doing the things I want to do. I’m here to learn, contribute where I can, and connect with other investors — especially those active in the DFW area.

    Looking forward to learning from you all and eventually sharing my own progress here.

    Caleb


    Hi Caleb, 

    That's great! Wishing you luck! I'm 18 and I'm also going to invest in real estate in the next several years! 

    I love connecting with like minded people my age here!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.