New to Real Estate — Ready to Learn and Grow

New to Real Estate — Ready to Learn and Grow

Member since 2025 · 13 posts · 3 votes

Hi everyone! I'm excited to be here as a new member of BiggerPockets. I live in Coweta County, Georgia, and I'm just beginning my journey into real estate investing. While I’m new to the field, I’ve been diving into books, YouTube videos, and podcasts to build a strong foundation. Three books that have really inspired me so far are Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki, as well as The Book on Investing in Real Estate with No and Low Money Down and How to Invest in Real Estate —both published by BiggerPockets.

Since I’m not currently working a 9-to-5, I’ve been using this time to focus on learning and building a foundation for long-term success. My goal is to achieve financial freedom through real estate, and I’m here to connect with and learn from more seasoned investors.

Looking forward to growing and contributing to this community!

1Reply
131 views

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Terrance HillPro Member
    Realtor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2010 · 425 posts · 117 votes
    1y

    Hi Hermia,

    Welcome to BiggerPockets! It sounds like you’re already diving in and building a strong foundation. That dedication will pay off as you start taking action. Coweta County has some interesting markets for rentals and flips, so connecting with local investors could really help you accelerate your learning.

    Would love to share insights and hear about the strategies you’re exploring as you grow your portfolio!

  • Member since 2025 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    1y

    Hi Terrence,
    Thank you for the information—I’d be happy to hear your insights.

    Since I don’t currently have capital to invest, I’m exploring a few creative ways to get started. One idea I’m considering is finding good fixer-upper deals in decent neighborhoods and adding value through sweat equity. My husband and I are willing to do hands-on work like landscaping, interior and exterior cleaning, painting, and other tasks that don’t require much upfront money. The plan would be to improve the property and sell it for a small profit to help build initial capital.

    I’m also looking into wholesaling, as well as the possibility of using hard money or private money to finance my first deal. In addition, I’m very interested in house hacking a small multifamily property—ideally a duplex or triplex—again using creative financing options, as long as the numbers make sense.

    While I'm based in Coweta County, I’m definitely open to exploring opportunities in other counties with solid neighborhoods and good investment potential.

  • Realtor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2021 · 239 posts · 120 votes
    1y

    @Hermia Bernard Welcome aboard! Congrats on getting your foot in the door and deciding to get started with REI. The books you chose are great, and I'm a huge fan of Robert Kyosoki. His work helped me a lot when I got started in REI, and I think his books have really aged with grace.

    Newnan will be a great start for you to get your feet wet. Even if you're looking into a househack, the area has seen a lot of growth potential over the past few years. I also have family roots in Coweta and Troup counties, and most of my early investing years were spent there, so I know it's a decent market to explore.   

  • Member since 2025 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    1y


     @ Lateefah Matthews

    Thank you so much for sharing this information. It's especially helpful to gain insights from someone based here in Georgia. I’ll definitely take a closer look at the markets you mentioned.

    If you happen to know of any real estate investor groups or meetups in Coweta County or nearby areas like Fayette County, I’d love to hear about them!

  • New to Real Estate · Miami, FL · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 457 votes
    1y

    Welcome, Hermia! You’re doing exactly what a strong start looks like, studying the right material and surrounding yourself with the right community.

    Not working a 9-to-5 gives you a real edge right now: time. Use it to network locally, analyze deals daily, and maybe even shadow someone actively investing in Coweta County or nearby markets.

    You're building the right foundation, stay consistent and opportunities will come.

    Glad to have you here.

  • Wholesaler · Portsmouth NH · Member since 2019 · 208 posts · 95 votes
    1y

    Welcome in Hermia! This is a solid area to get started. I'd recommend also joining some local investor Facebook groups and finding your local REIA in your city/state. It'll help you build relationships with wholesalers, lenders, contractors, and title companies, which are key early on.

  • Member since 2025 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    1y

    @Drago Stanimirovic

    Thank you for the words of encouragement—I truly appreciate it.

    I completely agree that networking locally and shadowing someone who’s actively investing in my area or nearby markets would be extremely valuable for my learning and growth. Regarding your suggestion about analyzing deals daily, I’d love to hear your insights on how to approach that effectively.

    On a separate note, I noticed your profile lists you as a lender. As someone who isn’t currently employed, could you offer some guidance on the steps I should take now to qualify for a loan through a private lender? I’m planning to purchase my first property within the next 1 to 3 months.

    Thanks again—I look forward to learning more from you

    • New to Real Estate · Miami, FL · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 457 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Hermia Bernard: Allways happy to Help! I sent you a DM with details. 


      @Drago Stanimirovic

      Thank you for the words of encouragement—I truly appreciate it.

      I completely agree that networking locally and shadowing someone who’s actively investing in my area or nearby markets would be extremely valuable for my learning and growth. Regarding your suggestion about analyzing deals daily, I’d love to hear your insights on how to approach that effectively.

      On a separate note, I noticed your profile lists you as a lender. As someone who isn’t currently employed, could you offer some guidance on the steps I should take now to qualify for a loan through a private lender? I’m planning to purchase my first property within the next 1 to 3 months.

      Thanks again—I look forward to learning more from you

      Always happy to help! I sent you ad DM with details. 

  • Member since 2025 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    1y

    @Izaiah Barba Thank you for your insights. I will definitely look into finding local investor Facebook groups and REIA in my state

  • Member since 2025 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    1y

    @Lateefah Mathews

    Thank you so much for sharing this information. It's especially helpful to gain insights from someone based here in Georgia. I’ll definitely take a closer look at the markets you mentioned.

    If you happen to know of any real estate investor groups or meetups in Coweta County or nearby areas like Fayette County, I’d love to hear about them!

    • Realtor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2021 · 239 posts · 120 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Hermia Bernard:

      @Lateefah Mathews

      Thank you so much for sharing this information. It's especially helpful to gain insights from someone based here in Georgia. I’ll definitely take a closer look at the markets you mentioned.

      If you happen to know of any real estate investor groups or meetups in Coweta County or nearby areas like Fayette County, I’d love to hear about them!

      @Hermia Bernard I'm glad you found it helpful. You're definitely in the best place here on BP to find REI groups and connect with other investors. I could be wrong, but I don't think Georgia REIA has a specific subgroup in Coweta or Fayette. That said, Facebook is a great place to check for investor meetups and networking events in those counties. All the best!

  • Member since 2025 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    1y

    @Lateefah Mathews Thank you!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.