New to BiggerPockets and new to real estate, excited to start learning. I’m originally from Atlanta and moving back there soon from Texas. I was recently laid off after spending most of my career in EV charging sales, and I’m now looking to make a career change into commercial real estate, something I’ve wanted to do for a while.
Would love to connect with people already in the industry and learn from your experiences. If anyone’s in Atlanta, I’d love to meet up when I’m back next month.
Also curious if anyone here has made the switch into CRE from a completely different field and did it independently rather than joining an established firm. How did that transition go? What challenges did you run into? Any initial advice?
Real Estate Agent · Cumming, GA · Member since 2016 · 226 posts · 157 votes
11mo
Hey Daniel,
Welcome back to ATL! I made a transition from Corporate Sales into a institutional CRE firm back in 2022. I had a very close personal connection at the firm and second, I had been actively looking and acquiring small CRE on the side of my W2.
I've since split off from all W2 life and on my own as MF operator (300 units with partners) and also have my RE License here in GA.
Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2023 · 177 posts · 109 votes
11mo
Hey Daniel — welcome aboard, brother. 👏
I respect the pivot you’re making. Leaving a steady path after a layoff and leaning into commercial real estate isn’t easy, but it’s often where real purpose starts to show up. Your background in EV charging sales actually gives you a solid edge — you understand infrastructure, location strategy, and energy systems. That perspective translates beautifully into CRE site selection, development, and asset positioning.
A few quick thoughts as you make the transition: 1️⃣ Leverage what you already know. Position your past as value — not a detour. EV and sustainability are massiveconversation points in modern CRE. 2️⃣ Network with intent. When you get back to Atlanta, look for local CRE meetups, chamber events, and NAIOP(commercial real estate development association). Shake hands. Tell your story. People respect bold transitions. 3️⃣ Learn the capital stack and creative finance side. Understanding how deals actually get funded will separate you from 90% of new entrants.
I made a similar jump myself — and it's been one of the most fulfilling moves I've ever made. If you'd like, I can share a few templates or books that helped me make sense of the CRE world from a relationship-first perspective.
Welcome to the field, Daniel. The mission continues. 💪
Joshua, I appreciate the advice and encouragement - thank you. I hadn't thought about positioning my EV charging sales and project development background as an asset in CRE, but that makes sense and I'll lean into that going forward.
I’d love to check out any templates or book recommendations you have. The financing side seems like the biggest hurdle for me right now, aside from continuing to build industry knowledge.
When it comes to getting started with a first investment, is there a specific property type you’d suggest focusing on, or does it mostly depend on the market and timing?
Thanks again for taking the time to share your insight.
Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2023 · 177 posts · 109 votes
11mo
Daniel, I appreciate your openness, brother — that mindset alone puts you way ahead of the curve.
You’re already thinking like a builder, not a follower. That EV charging and project-development background is gold in commercial real estate — you understand infrastructure, logistics, and scaling systems. Lean into that; it’s your edge.
For resources, I’d start with two books that changed how I think about wealth and service: 📘 Wealth Without Cash by Pace Morby — creative finance 101 from someone who proves resourcefulness beats resources. 📗 Limitless by Kris Krohn — breaks through the beliefs that keep most investors playing small.
As for your first deal, remember this: your buy box should fit you — your story, your service, your mission. If we chase what everyone else is doing, we risk dimming our own light and losing the reason we started. Niche down where your experience adds value; that’s how you build with both purpose and peace.
I’d be glad to connect further — maybe grab coffee or hop on a short call once you’re back in Atlanta. We can talk strategy and get that flywheel turning the right way. 👊
— Joshua “Sarge” Hardin Renewed Legacy Group | Freedom Ranch “Lead with Love. Serve through Legacy.”
Thank you for the book recommendations Joshua. They are on my list to get once Im back in Atlanta. I'm currently reading The Pursuit of Excellence by Ryan Hawk, a good one I'd recommend.
It would be great to connect - would you be open to a call sometime next week? I appreciate you being willing to help.
And I love that verse, perfect timing as well. Thanks!
Real Estate Agent · Cumming, GA · Member since 2016 · 226 posts · 157 votes
11mo
Hey Daniel,
Welcome back to ATL! I made a transition from Corporate Sales into a institutional CRE firm back in 2022. I had a very close personal connection at the firm and second, I had been actively looking and acquiring small CRE on the side of my W2.
I've since split off from all W2 life and on my own as MF operator (300 units with partners) and also have my RE License here in GA.
Thanks! Excited to be heading back to Atlanta and closer to family. I recently started studying for my RE license and hope to have that wrapped up later this year or early next.
That’s awesome that you own a multifamily property - I hope that’s going well. I spent several years in the EV charging space, and most of my clients were MF properties. If you don’t already have EV chargers on-site, you might be able to add them as an amenity with little to no upfront cost. Happy to share what I know if that’s of interest. I drive an EV myself and always look for communities that offer charging.
I’d love to connect if you’re open - always enjoy learning from others and hearing their stories. Would you be up for a call next week?
New to Real Estate · Miami, FL · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 457 votes
11mo
Welcome, Daniel sounds like you're turning a tough transition into a major opportunity. Atlanta's a strong commercial real estate market with diverse asset classes and continued growth, especially around industrial, multifamily, and mixed-use developments.
Your background in EV charging could actually be an edge, especially as sustainability and infrastructure play a growing role in CRE. Plenty of investors are carving their own path outside of firms, but it takes deep market knowledge, sharp underwriting, and strong local relationships. Start building those now.
Drago, thanks for the note and encouragement. I'm excited to be making the move into CRE and to get connected with the community in Atlanta. It's an exciting time to be there with all the growth happening. Thanks again!