Hello everyone. My name is Deb and I have been in healthcare for 25 years. It is getting exhausting and increasingly more complicated. I really want to be proactive in property investment with the goal of earning enough passive income to be my own boss without crazy and unpredictable work hours. I have been thinking about real estate for quite a while but unsure about how to approach it on a beginner level. I am the single income provider so I do not have a lot of extra funds to drop 20% on an investment and curious how others can invest in multiple properties? How does one become part of an investment group to gain more capital to put towards more property? My goal is to invest in the Kansas City area where I eventually want to end up at in the next 3-5 years. Thank you!
Hello everyone. My name is Deb and I have been in healthcare for 25 years. It is getting exhausting and increasingly more complicated. I really want to be proactive in property investment with the goal of earning enough passive income to be my own boss without crazy and unpredictable work hours. I have been thinking about real estate for quite a while but unsure about how to approach it on a beginner level. I am the single income provider so I do not have a lot of extra funds to drop 20% on an investment and curious how others can invest in multiple properties? How does one become part of an investment group to gain more capital to put towards more property? My goal is to invest in the Kansas City area where I eventually want to end up at in the next 3-5 years. Thank you!
Hey @Debra Anderson, welcome to the BP Forum! What type of properties most interests you, SFR, 2-4 MF, or 5+ MF? What is your price range/down payment amount? Are you looking for turn-key properties or something along the lines of a "fixer upper"? Where in KC are you most interested in, KCK or KCMO?
Hi, I was thinking more single family short term rentals to start with to see how that goes then transition to longer rentals. Fixer upper properties are an option as long as it isn’t a total remodel, I would need to do some research on contractors that are reliable and reasonable to do that. I would assume that a turn key might be a better option to start with? Currently my maximum cash down payment would be $10,000 and would like to stay under $175,000 for price range.
That looks like a decent one pending foundation. Says there is a basement but no pictures. Since it has a fireplace as a rental, I am assuming I would have to have that inspected? I haven't looked into rental rules in Missouri yet to know all of the requirements
Hello everyone. My name is Deb and I have been in healthcare for 25 years. It is getting exhausting and increasingly more complicated. I really want to be proactive in property investment with the goal of earning enough passive income to be my own boss without crazy and unpredictable work hours. I have been thinking about real estate for quite a while but unsure about how to approach it on a beginner level. I am the single income provider so I do not have a lot of extra funds to drop 20% on an investment and curious how others can invest in multiple properties? How does one become part of an investment group to gain more capital to put towards more property? My goal is to invest in the Kansas City area where I eventually want to end up at in the next 3-5 years. Thank you!
This works anywhere, I explain to anyone, in detail, upon request.
Are you new? Buying an "Off Market" property with "Subject To" and "Wraps" & Selling "Lease / Option"
When buying a property to cash flow, you need to know what your expenses are. The following is one I actually purchased in Phoenix that was a pre-foreclosure. The seller and I negotiated the terms. I did not offer a number to him, he told me what he needed. This first portion is the end result. The following portions are how we got there. Click on images to enlarge.
The house was not suitable for the MLS. The seller had waited too long to fix the problem and just wanted out. He said he needed $10,000 so he could move back to his home state. So, this is how we put the deal together.
First, you determine ARV (After Repair Value) so you can see if this one is actually worth buying. In this case it’s worth $245,00 fixed up.,(ARV).
You enter the Blue Numbers only, the rest are calculated. Enter the ARV (it's MLS value after it's all fixed up) on line 23, you get that number from looking at "comps". On line 24 you enter the payoff amount. We’ll take care of the arrears in a minute.
We always go through Escrow and Record, so we need to account for those costs. We Record because it’s the right thing to do and we want to know about any actions that come up against the property. Some people say don’t Record because of the Due On Sale clause, or to use a Land Trust to defeat the DOS which is bad information. If a lender wants to enforce a Due On Sale, a Land Trust violates the DOS anyway so it is ineffective in stopping the Due On Sale call.
Line 35 is always negotiable, but the seller needs enough to rent an apartment and move their belongs or they will become squatters which causes serious problems. There will be closing costs.
And of course, since this is a pre-foreclosure, the arrears have to be brought current.
Sometimes, a property will have a second loan or lien. Usually those can stay in place, but sometimes you have to pay those to buy the property. You can get the payoff amount from the lender. There is a specific process for doing that properly. If you are new, I would have someone help you with the process.
So, on this property, I paid line 37 $13,628 (which included $10,000 to the seller & closing costs $3,628), brought the loan current $10,597 line 48, took over the 2nd loan of $11,592 and took over the main mortgage of $118,145. I paid $153,862 and got a $245,000 property. But, I didn't need all $153,862, I only needed $24,225 to do so.
When you are new, looking for lenders & considering Fix & Flip, BRRRR, or rental, as a buyer, learn to ask the owner/seller to be one of your private lenders with creative financing. This works in Southern California (CA), AZ, WA, and GA & TX. Slight variations work elsewhere.