Hi all,
My name is Justin. I am new to real estate investing. I am located within the Hartford, CT market. I am looking to start out doing some fix and flips with the goal of transitioning into buy and holds. Two of my troubles I am having in my market is acquiring a deal, and finding flipping friendly GC's. These problems are circular as it makes it harder for me to get a deal because I do not have a contractor to perform a statement of work for the hard money lenders. And I can't get a contractor because I don't have a deal. Does anyone in this market have any suggestions for these two problems.
Thanks,
Justin
Hey Justin,
Welcome to the game, you're already ahead of many by asking the right questions early.
Hartford, CT is a market with solid potential, especially for fix and flips in neighborhoods seeing revitalization like Parkville, West End, and South End. But like many emerging investors, you're hitting that classic catch-22 between finding a deal and locking in a GC.
Here’s what works in your situation: start building relationships with contractors now, even before you have a deal. Attend local real estate meetups (REIAs), investor-friendly contractor events, or use platforms like Thumbtack and HomeAdvisor to vet a few GCs who’ve worked with flippers. Let them know you’re serious and have funding plans in place, they're more likely to engage when they see your intent is real.
On the deal side, focus on pre-foreclosures, probate, or tired landlords. Drive for dollars and use tools like PropStream or DealMachine to find motivated sellers. You might also consider JV'ing your first deal with a more experienced investor who already has a GC on board there's a lot to gain just by being part of a full cycle.
Once you secure even a loose partnership with a GC who can ballpark renovation costs, you’ll be in a much stronger position with lenders, even a rough SOW can get you to the next step.
Feel free to reach out if you want to chat more about strategies or market trends in Hartford.
Drago
How much capital do you have? A full deal cycle can run 50k+. That's first thing, don't get in a a deal and can't be able to finish it.
So, I'd call GCs and ask a ton of questions. You won't get all the answers from one, they'll end the call eventually, and also you'll get conflicting info. Someone wants 5k to paint the house, and someone wants 3k. Is there a diff, is there not? But grill the GCs on the items in a budget:
DEMO - you can call a million of them and get prices
Mechanicals - plumbers, electricians, HVAC. Get numbers on new plub job, rewires, and HVAC install
Roof - get prices for a new roof - small, med, big
Exterior work - grass, wees, planting shrubs. You can get pricing
Kitchens/Baths - call some they'll tell you a price per square foot
The sheetrock, spackle, mud, finish, paint: THIS IS the make or break. This is the one area it is worth it to spend a little. You can call pro companies that specialize in this trade. It's not cheap. I'd say 100 to 125 per sheet of sheetrock for everything. You have to find out what that number is for you. Cause then you just need an estimate of how many sheets a house needs, and you get that number by dividing the number of sheets by the square footage to get a rough estimate and now when you look at a house that is 1800 square feet you'll know how much floors are per square foot, the sheetrock, the paint, the demo. You'll have all the numbers boiled down to per square foot of house. Then it is just multiplication.
But where do you start? You pick up the phone and talk to people who know more than you about scopes of work. Who would that be you think?
it's tough to get a deal in ANY market right now, so that is fairly typical.
are you looking both on and off market? are you networking with other local investors? have you talked to contractors to see what they would need? i agree that once something hits you have to move quickly so you'll have to try to get that set up.
if you can tell us what you've done so far we can try to help.
@Nicholas L. My biggest problem is timing. Trying to get a GC to look at a property before if goes under contract. The properties I am looking at go fast. Which is why it would be ideal to find a hard money lender that would allow me to prepare the schedule of work estimates. I would build in a solid cushion for overages. This led me to work on off-market strategies. I have currently made a long list pf properties locally that look like the owners would appreciate a cash buyer help them change their situation. I think this will help. But still interested in knowing if anyone could recommend a hard money lender that would allow me to make a schedule of work as a non-contractor. Thanks
@Justin M. Pillion - I'd try to talk with @David Morizio (he's a contractor I've used on renovation projects previously). Yes, HML would allow you to make a schedule of work as a non-contractor. I do it all the time with my partner. As long as it makes sense to them, they do not need a quote from a contractor. Many of them know that time is of the essence. I use Theo DeVoie of TMD capital out of Springfield. You can call him and let him know that Sam Eddinger recommended him.
I'd be happy to have a follow up conversation. DM me if interested.
@Samuel Eddinger - Thanks for the multiple replies on my recent posts. I appreciate the recommendation of @David Morizio . I will connect with him. We have previously connected through CTREIA Members Zoom huddle in which you recommended Theo. I spoke to him and am getting the process started with him. Thanks for helping out.
Hey Justin,
Welcome to the game, you're already ahead of many by asking the right questions early.
Hartford, CT is a market with solid potential, especially for fix and flips in neighborhoods seeing revitalization like Parkville, West End, and South End. But like many emerging investors, you're hitting that classic catch-22 between finding a deal and locking in a GC.
Here’s what works in your situation: start building relationships with contractors now, even before you have a deal. Attend local real estate meetups (REIAs), investor-friendly contractor events, or use platforms like Thumbtack and HomeAdvisor to vet a few GCs who’ve worked with flippers. Let them know you’re serious and have funding plans in place, they're more likely to engage when they see your intent is real.
On the deal side, focus on pre-foreclosures, probate, or tired landlords. Drive for dollars and use tools like PropStream or DealMachine to find motivated sellers. You might also consider JV'ing your first deal with a more experienced investor who already has a GC on board there's a lot to gain just by being part of a full cycle.
Once you secure even a loose partnership with a GC who can ballpark renovation costs, you’ll be in a much stronger position with lenders, even a rough SOW can get you to the next step.
Feel free to reach out if you want to chat more about strategies or market trends in Hartford.
Drago
Yeah the classic chicken-and-egg thing in CT! I'd hit the contractor angle first tbh - cruise HD Pro or local lumber yards and ask who their regulars are that flip. Then work backwards from there. Most hard money lenders actually have contractor lists they'll share when you get pre-approved, so that could solve both problems at once. Have you tried getting pre-approved anywhere to see what they'll share?