Long Time Investor & Listener / Finally Introducing Myself!

Long Time Investor & Listener / Finally Introducing Myself!

Member since 2011 · 152 posts · 113 votes

I'm Joel Miller from Erie, PA. I've been investing in rentals since 1978, flipped over 100 houses since 1991, and I've been a hard money lender to the other investors in our area since 2018. Over the years I have also contributed articles to real estate publications as well as written a best-selling book on investing in rentals, and I teach beginner and advanced courses for our area landlord association in landlording, house flipping, and hard money lending. I have been in leadership in our association since 2009.

4Reply
101 views

Most Popular Reply

G. Brian DavisPro Member
Investor · Hatboro, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 854 votes
8mo

Great to meet you, @Joel Miller! It’s especially nice to meet a fellow writer; I’m a writer as well, and I always appreciate investors who take the time to share what they’ve learned. 

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8mo

    @Joel Miller Thanks for introducing yourself. We look forward to your contributions. 

  • G. Brian DavisPro Member
    Investor · Hatboro, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 854 votes
    8mo

    Great to meet you, @Joel Miller! It’s especially nice to meet a fellow writer; I’m a writer as well, and I always appreciate investors who take the time to share what they’ve learned. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Missoula, MT · Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    7mo

    Hey Joel - Thanks for introducing yourself! I am from the Erie area and have been investing in properties the past 5 years in various places throughout the country (wherever work sent me, I tried to buy there). Oddly enough, PA was only my most recent state. 

    100 house flips is no small feat. Congrats. Are you still flipping? 

  • Member since 2011 · 152 posts · 113 votes
    7mo

    I mainly operate our rentals in anticipation of selling them to our son in a few years while doing hard money lending to the other investors in the area. My son, who is 20, is just starting his first flip now, so I am assisting him with that. but no more flips for me!

  • Michael K GallagherBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7mo

    @Joel Miller great to meet you, and thanks for joining BP.  Very much looking forward to following your posts and contributions here given your wide experience.  

  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    7mo

    Joel, that's a hell of a run - 1978 to now, you've seen it all. Something I've noticed with guys who've been doing this for decades: you usually have systems locked down that us newer investors are still figuring out. When you went from flipping a few houses to 100+, what was the biggest thing you changed operationally to handle that volume?

  • Member since 2011 · 152 posts · 113 votes
    7mo

    Just having a team in place to use over and over. I also used the same products over and over so I didn't have to spend as much time thinking about what we were going to do at the property.

  • Terrance HillPro Member
    Realtor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2010 · 425 posts · 117 votes
    7mo

    Hi Joel,

    Wow, what an incredible track record! It’s inspiring to see someone who’s been so active across rentals, flips, and lending for decades. I’d love to connect and learn from your experience, especially your perspective on hard money lending and growing a rental portfolio over time.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.