New to BiggerPockets (Houston) — Looking for Mentors + Active Buyers

New to BiggerPockets (Houston) — Looking for Mentors + Active Buyers

Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2026 · 2 posts · 2 votes

Hi BiggerPockets community!

I’m based in Houston and excited to officially plug into this space in 2026. My focus this year is simple: learn from real mentors, stay close to community, and build a strong foundation as I grow in my real estate investing journey.

I come from a hospitality and legal background. I've worked in consulting groups, restaurants, and other service-driven environments where details matter, consistency is key, and results come down to how well you prep and execute. That experience shaped the way I think about real estate: ROI is more than the property's value, it is also about operational efficiency, tenant experience (aka guest or client satisfaction), and strong problem solving.

Looking to Connect

After spending plenty of hours learning in Facebook groups and on YouTube, I’ve grasped one thing quickly: real estate is a team sport! 

I’m looking to connect with seasoned Houston and national investors who are open to mentorship, partnership, or simply sharing wisdom. If you’re actively buying in Houston or surrounding areas, I’d love to learn your buy box so I can stay aligned with what serious investors are actually acquiring.

I also currently have a couple of properties under contract and would appreciate any insight on breaking out of the Facebook dispo cycle (beyond LLC searching, which can feel a little daunting and impersonal). I'll be attending a few REIA meetings this week, so I'm looking forward to building stronger investor relationships and community connections offline as well.

I’m eager to provide value, share boots-on-the-ground insights, and grow alongside other BP newcomers. Let's go!!

2Reply
182 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jaycee GreenePro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
    8mo
    Quote from @Victoria Gray:

    Hi BiggerPockets community!

    I’m based in Houston and excited to officially plug into this space in 2026. My focus this year is simple: learn from real mentors, stay close to community, and build a strong foundation as I grow in my real estate investing journey.

    I come from a hospitality and legal background. I've worked in consulting groups, restaurants, and other service-driven environments where details matter, consistency is key, and results come down to how well you prep and execute. That experience shaped the way I think about real estate: ROI is more than the property's value, it is also about operational efficiency, tenant experience (aka guest or client satisfaction), and strong problem solving.

    Looking to Connect

    After spending plenty of hours learning in Facebook groups and on YouTube, I’ve grasped one thing quickly: real estate is a team sport! 

    I’m looking to connect with seasoned Houston and national investors who are open to mentorship, partnership, or simply sharing wisdom. If you’re actively buying in Houston or surrounding areas, I’d love to learn your buy box so I can stay aligned with what serious investors are actually acquiring.

    I also currently have a couple of properties under contract and would appreciate any insight on breaking out of the Facebook dispo cycle (beyond LLC searching, which can feel a little daunting and impersonal). I'll be attending a few REIA meetings this week, so I'm looking forward to building stronger investor relationships and community connections offline as well.

    I’m eager to provide value, share boots-on-the-ground insights, and grow alongside other BP newcomers. Let's go!!

    Hey @Victoria Gray, welcome to the BP Forum! What type of properties most interests you, SFR, 2-4 MF, or 5+ MF? What is your price range/down payment amount? Are you looking for turn-key properties or something along the lines of a "fixer upper"?

  • Investor · Houston · Member since 2022 · 56 posts · 27 votes
    6mo

    Welcome to Houston.

    Your background in hospitality and operations will translate well, especially if you end up working in shared housing or anything that involves multiple tenants under one roof.

    One thing I’ve seen locally is that execution tends to matter more than the initial deal itself. A property can look strong on paper but still underperform if the operational side isn’t dialed in.

    Sounds like you’re already thinking about that the right way. Happy to stay connected as you get further into your first few deals.

  • Member since 2026 · 21 posts · 5 votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Victoria Gray:

    Hi BiggerPockets community!

    I’m based in Houston and excited to officially plug into this space in 2026. My focus this year is simple: learn from real mentors, stay close to community, and build a strong foundation as I grow in my real estate investing journey.

    I come from a hospitality and legal background. I've worked in consulting groups, restaurants, and other service-driven environments where details matter, consistency is key, and results come down to how well you prep and execute. That experience shaped the way I think about real estate: ROI is more than the property's value, it is also about operational efficiency, tenant experience (aka guest or client satisfaction), and strong problem solving.

    Looking to Connect

    After spending plenty of hours learning in Facebook groups and on YouTube, I’ve grasped one thing quickly: real estate is a team sport! 

    I’m looking to connect with seasoned Houston and national investors who are open to mentorship, partnership, or simply sharing wisdom. If you’re actively buying in Houston or surrounding areas, I’d love to learn your buy box so I can stay aligned with what serious investors are actually acquiring.

    I also currently have a couple of properties under contract and would appreciate any insight on breaking out of the Facebook dispo cycle (beyond LLC searching, which can feel a little daunting and impersonal). I'll be attending a few REIA meetings this week, so I'm looking forward to building stronger investor relationships and community connections offline as well.

    I’m eager to provide value, share boots-on-the-ground insights, and grow alongside other BP newcomers. Let's go!!

    @Victoria Gray, welcome! I'm new to the community to. Learning as much as I can. I have a few properties but am new to the game. Would love to connect and share insight. 

    • Investor · Houston · Member since 2022 · 56 posts · 27 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Jeff M Collinsworth:
      Quote from @Victoria Gray:

      Hi BiggerPockets community!

      I’m based in Houston and excited to officially plug into this space in 2026. My focus this year is simple: learn from real mentors, stay close to community, and build a strong foundation as I grow in my real estate investing journey.

      I come from a hospitality and legal background. I've worked in consulting groups, restaurants, and other service-driven environments where details matter, consistency is key, and results come down to how well you prep and execute. That experience shaped the way I think about real estate: ROI is more than the property's value, it is also about operational efficiency, tenant experience (aka guest or client satisfaction), and strong problem solving.

      Looking to Connect

      After spending plenty of hours learning in Facebook groups and on YouTube, I’ve grasped one thing quickly: real estate is a team sport! 

      I’m looking to connect with seasoned Houston and national investors who are open to mentorship, partnership, or simply sharing wisdom. If you’re actively buying in Houston or surrounding areas, I’d love to learn your buy box so I can stay aligned with what serious investors are actually acquiring.

      I also currently have a couple of properties under contract and would appreciate any insight on breaking out of the Facebook dispo cycle (beyond LLC searching, which can feel a little daunting and impersonal). I'll be attending a few REIA meetings this week, so I'm looking forward to building stronger investor relationships and community connections offline as well.

      I’m eager to provide value, share boots-on-the-ground insights, and grow alongside other BP newcomers. Let's go!!

      @Victoria Gray, welcome! I'm new to the community to. Learning as much as I can. I have a few properties but am new to the game. Would love to connect and share insight. 

      @Victoria Gray; @Jeff M Collinsworth


      Good to see more Houston folks getting active here.

      One thing I’ve noticed locally is that there’s a big difference between getting into your first few deals and building something that runs consistently over time. A lot of people focus heavily on acquisition, but the operational side ends up being just as important, especially if you’re dealing with multiple tenants or shared environments.

      That’s where things like screening, expectations, and day-to-day systems start to matter more than most people expect going in.

      If either of you end up exploring room-by-room rentals or shared housing, feel free to reach out. That’s where I’ve spent most of my time the past few years and I’m always happy to compare notes.

  • Steven GlickBusiness Member
    Lender · Buffalo · Member since 2024 · 115 posts · 33 votes
    6mo

    Welcome to BP, Victoria. Your hospitality and legal background will serve you well. Investors who treat this like an operations business tend to build more durable portfolios.

    Since you've already got properties under contract, the thing I’d stay on top of early is how clean your path to closing actually is. A lot of newer investors don't lose deals on the numbers, they lose them when timelines slip or something unexpected comes up on the financing side.

    On breaking out of the dispo cycle, you're on the right track focusing on relationships. Getting in front of a few solid wholesalers and proving you can close consistently matters more than being on every list.

    Curious, what kind of deals are you tying up right now?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.