New Investor in MS Executing First Structured BRRRR (Section 8 Focused)

New Investor in MS Executing First Structured BRRRR (Section 8 Focused)

Member since 2026 · 14 posts · 3 votes

Hi everyone,

I'm a new investor in Lauderdale County, MS working on my first BRRRR. The property is a rural 3/2 SFR that's about 90% complete. I'm securing short-term capital (~$40K) to finish it, stabilize under Section 8, then refinance at 65–70% LTV.

ARV is supported by conservative rural comps (excluding city limits, distressed, and manufactured properties).

Estimated rent is based on FY 2026 HUD 3BR FMR ($1,204), modeling at $1,200 with a $1,150 stress test.

Plan:

  • Finish renovation

  • Pre-market to voucher holders

  • Stabilize 2–3 months

  • Refi

  • Preserve reserves

  • Roll into Rental #2

I'm here to learn from investors who've scaled in smaller/rural markets using conservative leverage and Section 8. Any insight on first-pass inspection success, DSCR refi timing, or reserve discipline would be appreciated.

1Reply
184 views

Most Popular Reply

Drew SygitBusiness Member
Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
7mo
Quote from @Samantha Hagwood:

Hi everyone,

I'm a new investor in Lauderdale County, MS working on my first BRRRR. The property is a rural 3/2 SFR that's about 90% complete. I'm securing short-term capital (~$40K) to finish it, stabilize under Section 8, then refinance at 65–70% LTV.

ARV is supported by conservative rural comps (excluding city limits, distressed, and manufactured properties).

Estimated rent is based on FY 2026 HUD 3BR FMR ($1,204), modeling at $1,200 with a $1,150 stress test.

Plan:

  • Finish renovation

  • Pre-market to voucher holders

  • Stabilize 2–3 months

  • Refi

  • Preserve reserves

  • Roll into Rental #2

I'm here to learn from investors who've scaled in smaller/rural markets using conservative leverage and Section 8. Any insight on first-pass inspection success, DSCR refi timing, or reserve discipline would be appreciated.


 Hopefully, you are rehabbing with "tenant-proofing" in mind and not like you would live in it!

Maintain to the Market!

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jaycee GreenePro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
    7mo
    Quote from @Samantha Hagwood:

    Hi everyone,

    I'm a new investor in Lauderdale County, MS working on my first BRRRR. The property is a rural 3/2 SFR that's about 90% complete. I'm securing short-term capital (~$40K) to finish it, stabilize under Section 8, then refinance at 65–70% LTV.

    ARV is supported by conservative rural comps (excluding city limits, distressed, and manufactured properties).

    Estimated rent is based on FY 2026 HUD 3BR FMR ($1,204), modeling at $1,200 with a $1,150 stress test.

    Plan:

    • Finish renovation

    • Pre-market to voucher holders

    • Stabilize 2–3 months

    • Refi

    • Preserve reserves

    • Roll into Rental #2

    I'm here to learn from investors who've scaled in smaller/rural markets using conservative leverage and Section 8. Any insight on first-pass inspection success, DSCR refi timing, or reserve discipline would be appreciated.

    Hey @Samantha Hagwood, welcome to the BP Forum! Do you have a specific lender in place for the refi?

  • Member since 2026 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    7mo

    My plan is to refinance with the same local bank that provides the completion loan, assuming their portfolio terms align once the property is stabilized.

    I’ll be confirming their seasoning and cash-out guidelines upfront so the exit is clear.

    • Jaycee GreenePro Member
      Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Samantha Hagwood:

      My plan is to refinance with the same local bank that provides the completion loan, assuming their portfolio terms align once the property is stabilized.

      I’ll be confirming their seasoning and cash-out guidelines upfront so the exit is clear.

      That sounds like a good plan @Samantha Hagwood. Assuming you're working with a commercial lender (rather than a "consumer" mortgage lender), I suspect they may go up to 75% of the ARV, min DSCR of 1.25x-1.30x, amortization of 20-25 years, and an interest rate in the high 6% to low 7% range.

      I like how you're "stress testing" your model, but I'm curious about your FMR of $1,204. I'm seeing the average FMR for a 3 BR in that county is just over $1,300.

    • Member since 2026 · 14 posts · 3 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Jaycee Greene:
      Quote from @Samantha Hagwood:

      My plan is to refinance with the same local bank that provides the completion loan, assuming their portfolio terms align once the property is stabilized.

      I’ll be confirming their seasoning and cash-out guidelines upfront so the exit is clear.

      That sounds like a good plan @Samantha Hagwood. Assuming you're working with a commercial lender (rather than a "consumer" mortgage lender), I suspect they may go up to 75% of the ARV, min DSCR of 1.25x-1.30x, amortization of 20-25 years, and an interest rate in the high 6% to low 7% range.

      I like how you're "stress testing" your model, but I'm curious about your FMR of $1,204. I'm seeing the average FMR for a 3 BR in that county is just over $1,300.

      I checked the most recent HUD FMR data — the FY 2026 FMRs are now published and used for voucher standards. Based on available county data, the 3-BR FMR in Lauderdale County is closer to ~$1,300/mo, so I used $1,200 as a conservative base with stress tested scenarios below that.

      I figured underwriting slightly below the published FMR gives a margin of safety, and let the local PHA's payment standard (90–110% of FMR) work in my favor if possible.

      In your experience with rural PHAs, do lenders underwrite to actual contract rents or to these HUD FMR ranges when assessing DSCR?




    • Jaycee GreenePro Member
      Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Samantha Hagwood:
      Quote from @Jaycee Greene:
      Quote from @Samantha Hagwood:

      My plan is to refinance with the same local bank that provides the completion loan, assuming their portfolio terms align once the property is stabilized.

      I’ll be confirming their seasoning and cash-out guidelines upfront so the exit is clear.

      That sounds like a good plan @Samantha Hagwood. Assuming you're working with a commercial lender (rather than a "consumer" mortgage lender), I suspect they may go up to 75% of the ARV, min DSCR of 1.25x-1.30x, amortization of 20-25 years, and an interest rate in the high 6% to low 7% range.

      I like how you're "stress testing" your model, but I'm curious about your FMR of $1,204. I'm seeing the average FMR for a 3 BR in that county is just over $1,300.

      I checked the most recent HUD FMR data — the FY 2026 FMRs are now published and used for voucher standards. Based on available county data, the 3-BR FMR in Lauderdale County is closer to ~$1,300/mo, so I used $1,200 as a conservative base with stress tested scenarios below that.

      I figured underwriting slightly below the published FMR gives a margin of safety, and let the local PHA's payment standard (90–110% of FMR) work in my favor if possible.

      In your experience with rural PHAs, do lenders underwrite to actual contract rents or to these HUD FMR ranges when assessing DSCR?




      @Samantha Hagwood Now I get it! Sounds like you know what you're doing. On the lender side, they will more than likely underwrite to the contract rents - you'll need to provide leases or other documentation. 

  • Mayo GilfurtPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Connecticut Ct · Member since 2026 · 130 posts · 30 votes
    7mo

    This is a well-structured first BRRRR, especially for a rural Section 8 execution — your rent assumptions and stress test look disciplined.

    A couple things that tend to matter most on the DSCR refi side in smaller markets:

    • Lenders usually want final HAP contract + first inspection pass completed before they'll credit full FMR.

    • Even if stabilized in 2–3 months operationally, many DSCR lenders still prefer 90 days of documented collections post-HAP start.

    • Rural refis are often capped by appraisal methodology, not cash flow, so conservative comps like you’re using help.

    On reserves, keeping post-refi liquidity is smart — especially since Section 8 timelines can drift if inspections get delayed.

    Curious: are you planning to refi immediately after the first HAP payments hit, or waiting for a full quarter of collections to strengthen lender options?

  • Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2018 · 198 posts · 84 votes
    7mo

    Welcome to BP, Samantha. You're doing this the right way and your plan is solid. I run 10 Section 8 BRRRR doors in Birmingham, AL so I can share some real numbers on your three questions.

    HQS inspection tips: The most common fail items I see are smoke detectors (must be in every bedroom and on every level), GFCI outlets in kitchens/bathrooms, peeling paint (especially on pre-1978 homes, which triggers lead paint protocols), and handrails on stairs with 3+ steps. My approach: I do a self inspection using the HUD HQS checklist before scheduling the official one. Takes 30 minutes and saves you the 2 to 4 week delay of a re-inspection. Also make sure all appliances work, windows open/close/lock, and there are no exposed wires or plumbing leaks. If your rehab is 90% done and you're doing it right, you should pass first try.

    DSCR refi timing: Most lenders want 6 months seasoning minimum from the date of purchase (not from rehab completion). A few will do 3 months but the terms are worse. I budget for 6+ months of hold costs (mortgage/hard money payments, insurance, taxes, utilities, lawn care) before the refi closes. On a $40K short term loan at 12%, that's roughly $2,400 in interest alone during seasoning. Make sure this is in your numbers. At 65 to 70% LTV you should be in good shape for most DSCR lenders. Expect rates in the 6 to 6.5% range right now, 1.25x DSCR minimum, and they'll want to see the lease in place.

    Reserve discipline: I keep 3 months of total monthly costs (mortgage + insurance + taxes + PM fee) per property in a separate account I don't touch. On a $1,200/month rent with a $700 total monthly cost, that's $2,100 per property in reserves. This covers vacancy, a failed HVAC compressor, or a gap between tenants. The temptation on deal #1 is to roll every dollar into deal #2. Don't. Build the reserves first, then scale.

    One thing I'd add to your Wpellacno:m es ttaor tB Pb,u iSladmianngt hyao.u rY orue'lraet idoonisnhgi pt hwiist ht hteh er ilgohcta lw ahyo uasnidn gy oauurt hpolraint yi sn oswo,l ibde.f oIr er uyno u1 0n eSeedc ttihoenm .8  IBnRtRrRoRd udcoeo ryso uirns eBlifr,m iansgkh aamb,o uAtL  tshoe iIr  claann dslhoarrde  osnobmoea rrdeianlg  npurmobceersss ,o na nydo ufri ntdh roeuet  qtuheesitri ocnusr.r

    e

    nHtQ Sv oiuncshpeerc twiaoint ltiispts :s iTzhee.  mSoosmte  cPoHmAmso nm ofvaei lf aistte,m so tIh esrese  taarkee  smmoonkteh sd.e tKencotwoirnsg  (tmhuesitr  btei mienl ienvee rhye lbpesd ryoooum  palnadn  oyno uerv eprrye -lmeavrekle)t,i nGgF CtIo  ovuotulcehtesr  ihno lkdietrcsh emnosr/eb aatchcruoroamtse,l yp.e

    e

    lGionogd  plauicnkt  w(ietshp etchiea ldleya lo.n  Yporuer- 1s9t7r8e shso mteess,t iwnhgi caht  t$r1i,g1g5e0r sv sl etahde  p$a1i,n2t0 4p rFoMtRo ciosl ss)m,a ratn.d  Thhaantd rcaoinlsse rovna tsitvaei rasp pwriotahc h3 +i ss twehpast.  sMeyp aarpaptreosa cthh:e  Ii ndvoe sat osresl fw hion sspceacltei ofnr oums itnhge  tohnee sH UwDh oH QoSv ecrheexctkelnids to nb edfeoarle  #s1c.heduling the official one. Takes 30 minutes and saves you the 2 to 4 week delay of a re-inspection. Also make sure all appliances work, windows open/close/lock, and there are no exposed wires or plumbing leaks. If your rehab is 90% done and you're doing it right, you should pass first try.

    DSCR refi timing: Most lenders want 6 months seasoning minimum from the date of purchase (not from rehab completion). A few will do 3 months but the terms are worse. I budget for 6+ months of hold costs (mortgage/hard money payments, insurance, taxes, utilities, lawn care) before the refi closes. On a $40K short term loan at 12%, that's roughly $2,400 in interest alone during seasoning. Make sure this is in your numbers. At 65 to 70% LTV you should be in good shape for most DSCR lenders. Expect rates in the 6 to 6.5% range right now, 1.25x DSCR minimum, and they'll want to see the lease in place.

    Reserve discipline: I keep 3 months of total monthly costs (mortgage + insurance + taxes + PM fee) per property in a separate account I don't touch

  • Rental Property Investor · Kansas City · Member since 2026 · 11 posts · 12 votes
    7mo

    @Samantha Hagwood

    You’re thinking about this the right way. Especially modeling rent at $1,200 with a $1,150 stress test. That’s the kind of buffer rural markets need.

    On Section 8 + rural specifically, a few things I’d focus on:

    1. First inspection success
    Make sure you pre-walk it against HQS standards before scheduling. Small things like GFCIs, handrails, peeling paint, outlet covers, and exterior trip hazards can delay you 30–60 days if you fail. In smaller counties, inspector timelines can stretch.

    2. DSCR refi timing
    Don't rush the refi at month 2 if the lease just started. Some lenders want 3–6 months of seasoning + proof of collected rent. In rural markets especially, appraisal variance can be wider, so build margin into your ARV assumptions.

    3. Reserves
    In smaller markets with thinner contractor availability, I personally keep higher reserves than I would in a metro — especially if you’re planning to roll into rental #2 quickly. Section 8 rent is stable, but repair timelines aren’t always.

    If you don't mind sharing... what's your projected all-in vs ARV spread?

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7mo
    Quote from @Samantha Hagwood:

    Hi everyone,

    I'm a new investor in Lauderdale County, MS working on my first BRRRR. The property is a rural 3/2 SFR that's about 90% complete. I'm securing short-term capital (~$40K) to finish it, stabilize under Section 8, then refinance at 65–70% LTV.

    ARV is supported by conservative rural comps (excluding city limits, distressed, and manufactured properties).

    Estimated rent is based on FY 2026 HUD 3BR FMR ($1,204), modeling at $1,200 with a $1,150 stress test.

    Plan:

    • Finish renovation

    • Pre-market to voucher holders

    • Stabilize 2–3 months

    • Refi

    • Preserve reserves

    • Roll into Rental #2

    I'm here to learn from investors who've scaled in smaller/rural markets using conservative leverage and Section 8. Any insight on first-pass inspection success, DSCR refi timing, or reserve discipline would be appreciated.


     Hopefully, you are rehabbing with "tenant-proofing" in mind and not like you would live in it!

    Maintain to the Market!

  • Lender · Hollywood, FL · Member since 2026 · 20 posts · 5 votes
    7mo

    Excellent points, Jaycee.

    @Samantha Hagwood, welcome to the community! Executing a Section 8 BRRRR as your first deal is a very smart move for cash flow stability.

    To answer your question from a Balance Sheet lender's perspective: When we underwrite DSCR loans for Section 8, we typically look at the lower of the two—either the HUD Fair Market Rent (FMR) or the actual lease amount. However, having a confirmed voucher holder ready to go is a huge 'plus' for certainty of execution.

    As Mayo mentioned, most lenders will want to see that first HAP payment hit before completing the cash-out refi. Since you are stress-testing your model at $1,150, you are building in the right safety margin.

    If you ever need a second pair of eyes on how to structure the 'exit' side of your next projects, I'm happy to help!

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6mo

    Here is your actual HUD checklist with their standards so you know exactly what they are looking for. Other forms including the actual HAP contract can be found here for your perusal as well.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.