Building a Flexible Rental Portfolio in Tucson

Building a Flexible Rental Portfolio in Tucson

Member since 2026 · 3 posts · 1 vote

Hi everyone,

I’m based in Tucson and currently in the acquisition phase of building a flexible rental portfolio focused on hybrid-use properties. My strategy centers on assets that can perform as long-term, mid-term (travel professional), or short-term rentals depending on market conditions.

My background is in business analytics and structured financial environments, so I approach underwriting conservatively with defined exit strategies and strong downside protection.

I’m currently analyzing duplex and single-family properties in the $325k–$400k range and looking forward to connecting with experienced Arizona operators and private lenders who prioritize disciplined deal structure and risk management.

Excited to learn from the community and contribute where I can.

1Reply
116 views

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    7mo

    Nadia, welcome to the BP community. I like your hybrid use strategy. Flexibility across long, mid and short-term rentals can be a strong hedge if underwriting is conservative and zoning supports it.  Connecting with experienced local investors and lenders is smart. Strong deal structure and clear exit plans will separate you from the crowd.

  • Member since 2026 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7mo

    Hi Janice!  thank you so much for the warm welcome and for sharing your insight. I really appreciate your perspective on conservative underwriting, strong deal structure, and clear exit planning  that’s exactly the mindset I’m trying to stay grounded in.

    Grateful to be part of this community and learning from experienced professionals like you.

  • Jonathan LeeBusiness Member
    Lender · FL · Member since 2025 · 86 posts · 30 votes
    7mo

    Hi Nadia,

    I’m a mortgage broker and work with a lot of investors building rental portfolios, including duplexes and single-family properties. I help structure financing that aligns with cash flow and long-term growth, and I’m always happy to be a resource if you ever want to run numbers or explore options.

    Wishing you success as you grow your portfolio, and feel free to reach out anytime.

    Helm Mortgage Corp.5126 Reviews
    View Page
  • Member since 2026 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7mo

    Hi Jonathan, thank you for connecting and reaching out. I truly appreciate it, and I’ll definitely keep you in mind as I move forward.

  • Property Manager · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2019 · 27 posts · 14 votes
    7mo

    This sounds great Nadia, my only concern is that you mentioned Duplexes. The Tucson Market has a variety of Duplexes and I'm sure you can find one that is suitable for 12 month leasing and possibly Mid-term Rental, though for anything travel related I find that large one bedrooms are the most attractive ( I manage Furnished rentals as well as 12 month lease).

    To conservatively underwrite you would need to use the base rent of a 12 month lease up, no furnishings (much less popular in the old pueblo).

    What areas are you looking to Invest? Close to I-10? Close to Corporate centers? or Close to Views? I ask because some of the Condominium complexes along river are selling for a great price IMO and they provide veiws and quick travel access. 

    I am not affiliated with any FYI just a thought. Have fun on your adventure and if you need a manager you know where to find me

    Joe Watson

    New Concept Properties

    8830 E speedway blvd, Tucson Az

  • Member since 2026 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6mo

    Hello Nadia, I really like your post will you be house hacking with this property? 

  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 929 votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Nadia Thompson-Joseph:

    Hi everyone,

    I’m based in Tucson and currently in the acquisition phase of building a flexible rental portfolio focused on hybrid-use properties. My strategy centers on assets that can perform as long-term, mid-term (travel professional), or short-term rentals depending on market conditions.

    My background is in business analytics and structured financial environments, so I approach underwriting conservatively with defined exit strategies and strong downside protection.

    I’m currently analyzing duplex and single-family properties in the $325k–$400k range and looking forward to connecting with experienced Arizona operators and private lenders who prioritize disciplined deal structure and risk management.

    Excited to learn from the community and contribute where I can.


    Sounds like you’ve got a smart, analytical approach, exactly what helps make rentals work long-term. If you’re open to out-of-state options, the Midwest has some undervalued duplexes and small multifamily properties that cash flow from day one. Tons of opportunity to pivot between long-term and short-term rentals, and you can rely on a solid local team for property management, contractors, and lenders to make it easy to manage from afar. It’s a great way to scale while keeping risk in check.
  • Steven GlickBusiness Member
    Lender · Buffalo · Member since 2024 · 115 posts · 33 votes
    6mo

    Welcome to BP, Nadia. Your analytical approach is going to serve you well, especially with a hybrid-use strategy where the underwriting is more nuanced than a straight long-term rental.

    One thing to keep in mind early is that most lenders will underwrite these deals closer to long-term rental income, even if your plan includes mid-term or short-term use. Depending on your market, that can either create a cushion or make the deal tighter than it looks on paper.

    At your price point in Tucson, having the deal work on long-term rents alone gives you a solid floor, anything you capture on the mid-term or STR side becomes upside rather than something you're relying on.

    Curious, are you seeing a meaningful spread between long-term and mid-term rents in the areas you’re targeting?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.