Digital Marketer/FB/Google Ad Specialist looking to get into REI

Digital Marketer/FB/Google Ad Specialist looking to get into REI

Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 1 vote

Hi everyone!

I've been listening to the weekly podcast for 3-4 years+. I've consumed a TON of REI info.

I'm now in a place to start trying to figure out how to get my first deal done by the end of 2027 (faster if possible). Long story short, my wife and I rolled the dice on a franchise in early 2008 and like a lot of people, 2008 was a bust and we had bad timing. 

I'd like for my first deal to be as close to a sure thing as possible. We have a camper and have been renting it on Outdoorsy and we us it stationary in the winter for about 3 months (weekend warriors). I've thought about trying to find 1 acre with a dilapidated trailer (that we could remove for the water/septic/power) so that we could set it up as an Airbnb with a deck & hot tub and start cash flowing. Keep the investment small.

I was actually beside a property manager for one of the largest cabin rental places near us in the mountains this weekend and he suggested finding an acre, putting a modular home on it and LTR it since there isn't enough housing in the investment area where we want to be. Ideally, I'd love to STR, so the plan could potentially be STR, if that doesn't work or the numbers don't work, LTR, if we don't love that, we could just sell the property and he said we'd make a profit in 2 years with appreciation in the area. It was a curve ball I hadn't thought of...

I've also thought about possibly wholesaling using Facebook/Google ads and using my expertise to enter the REI game.

Ultimately, I'd like to create a small STR 'resort' with 5-10 A frame or tiny houses that could be rented individually or as an entire resort. However, I think that is going to involve partners, etc. to make happen it seems unwise for a first property.

I don't want to have paralysis by analysis, my vision is to retire my wife in 10 years (end of 2037). I need to find a way to get started. 

Looking forward to being a part of the BP family!

1Reply
84 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Florida / Georgia · Member since 2025 · 58 posts · 28 votes
    7mo

    Hey David,

    Have you run any real numbers yet on what the land + structure + setup would cost? Before you do anything, it helps to map out the full picture of your acquisition, utilities, site prep, the structure itself, and what it'll take to get it STR ready. Once you know your total investment costs, you can figure out your break‑even point and how long it'll take to earn your initial investment back.

    I do DSCR loans for clients building STR portfolios, and the first thing we do together is pull rental comps in the exact neighborhood they're targeting. You want to make sure the projected income from the STR comfortably covers the mortgage. There also websites online that can give you these estimates. Some charge a fee for this or you can manually do it using online MLS services or even Zillow. That way, if the STR side doesn't perform the way you expect or if you ever need to pivot to a long‑term rental, you're still protected and your investment deal still works.

    If you can verify all your numbers and cross‑check what you’re hearing from people on the ground in your market, it should give you the confidence to move forward without overthinking it.

    As for using Facebook/Google Ads for wholesaling. It's better to be boots on the ground talking to folks and building relationships. Too much friction online to convert home sellers and there is too much competition. Most of these sellers won't look online but would rather deal with someone they know or have spoken with. Hope it works out for you. 

    All the best!

    • Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 1 vote
      7mo
      Quote from @Samuel Awosolu:

      Hey David,

      Have you run any real numbers yet on what the land + structure + setup would cost? Before you do anything, it helps to map out the full picture of your acquisition, utilities, site prep, the structure itself, and what it'll take to get it STR ready. Once you know your total investment costs, you can figure out your break‑even point and how long it'll take to earn your initial investment back.

      I do DSCR loans for clients building STR portfolios, and the first thing we do together is pull rental comps in the exact neighborhood they're targeting. You want to make sure the projected income from the STR comfortably covers the mortgage. There also websites online that can give you these estimates. Some charge a fee for this or you can manually do it using online MLS services or even Zillow. That way, if the STR side doesn't perform the way you expect or if you ever need to pivot to a long‑term rental, you're still protected and your investment deal still works.

      If you can verify all your numbers and cross‑check what you’re hearing from people on the ground in your market, it should give you the confidence to move forward without overthinking it.

      As for using Facebook/Google Ads for wholesaling. It's better to be boots on the ground talking to folks and building relationships. Too much friction online to convert home sellers and there is too much competition. Most of these sellers won't look online but would rather deal with someone they know or have spoken with. Hope it works out for you. 

      All the best!


      Thank you for the advice!! I appreciate it! What sites are you speaking about specifically? AirDna? others for STR comp research? I'd love to have a site that helps to determine costs associated with setting up a property from land (utilities, septic, zoning, etc.).

      I know what counties I am looking in. I even have a property that I am interested in that is FSBO, so I am going to reach out to them and ask some questions, but I'd like to come across like an educated buyer vs a newbie. Any advice there?

      Thanks again for stopping by to welcome me.

    • Lender · Florida / Georgia · Member since 2025 · 58 posts · 28 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @David Phillips:
      Quote from @Samuel Awosolu:

      Hey David,

      Have you run any real numbers yet on what the land + structure + setup would cost? Before you do anything, it helps to map out the full picture of your acquisition, utilities, site prep, the structure itself, and what it'll take to get it STR ready. Once you know your total investment costs, you can figure out your break‑even point and how long it'll take to earn your initial investment back.

      I do DSCR loans for clients building STR portfolios, and the first thing we do together is pull rental comps in the exact neighborhood they're targeting. You want to make sure the projected income from the STR comfortably covers the mortgage. There also websites online that can give you these estimates. Some charge a fee for this or you can manually do it using online MLS services or even Zillow. That way, if the STR side doesn't perform the way you expect or if you ever need to pivot to a long‑term rental, you're still protected and your investment deal still works.

      If you can verify all your numbers and cross‑check what you’re hearing from people on the ground in your market, it should give you the confidence to move forward without overthinking it.

      As for using Facebook/Google Ads for wholesaling. It's better to be boots on the ground talking to folks and building relationships. Too much friction online to convert home sellers and there is too much competition. Most of these sellers won't look online but would rather deal with someone they know or have spoken with. Hope it works out for you. 

      All the best!


      Thank you for the advice!! I appreciate it! What sites are you speaking about specifically? AirDna? others for STR comp research? I'd love to have a site that helps to determine costs associated with setting up a property from land (utilities, septic, zoning, etc.).

      I know what counties I am looking in. I even have a property that I am interested in that is FSBO, so I am going to reach out to them and ask some questions, but I'd like to come across like an educated buyer vs a newbie. Any advice there?

      Thanks again for stopping by to welcome me.


      No problem David. I have used Airdna, Rabbu.com, Bnbcalc. You can then use co-pilot or Chat GPT to help you analyze the data even further if you want to get granular. If you know the true costs or have estimates. The AI platforms can help you put numbers together for you to see the big picture. With FSBO's, having conversations should help you gauge their experience level.

  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7mo

    I'd go down the rabbit hole of utilizing your FB/Google ad specialty. Find leads for yourself, partner with someone or you can wholesale them out. If you guys are lean cash wise then wholesaling or partnering would be ideal. Finding deals is the hardest part for most investors, if you can utilize your expertise you'll find deals and make $$ along the way. As you grow then you can invest by yourself. One thought I'd have is, it can be expensive running ads so if you do then keep that in mind. 

    • Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 1 vote
      7mo
      Quote from @Caleb Brown:

      I'd go down the rabbit hole of utilizing your FB/Google ad specialty. Find leads for yourself, partner with someone or you can wholesale them out. If you guys are lean cash wise then wholesaling or partnering would be ideal. Finding deals is the hardest part for most investors, if you can utilize your expertise you'll find deals and make $$ along the way. As you grow then you can invest by yourself. One thought I'd have is, it can be expensive running ads so if you do then keep that in mind. 


      Yes! I am exploring this option. Running the ads in a certain geo shouldn't be a problem, I could set aside a few thousand dollars to do a test, but it seems like what I might need to do first is to start finding some REI's to wholesale to...in other words, build a list.

      I will probably start with a few FB groups in my area and just make in intro and start to build a list of people who would like to get more deals.

    • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @David Phillips:
      That is a good way to start. Networking in person or virtually will be your best bet. If you find a good deal you'll find a buyer
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.