My name is Kim Gray. I've been self-managing rental properties long enough to have made most of the mistakes landlords make — receipts everywhere, spreadsheets that fell apart by March, showing up to my CPA embarrassed.
I'm here to learn from others who have figured this out and share what I know along the way.
Realtor · Willow Grove, PA · Member since 2017 · 979 posts · 642 votes
4mo
Welcome, @Kim Gray. Honestly, the fact that you’ve made mistakes and kept going probably means you’ve learned more than many. A lot of long term success in landlording comes from building better systems over time.
Realtor · Willow Grove, PA · Member since 2017 · 979 posts · 642 votes
4mo
Welcome, @Kim Gray. Honestly, the fact that you’ve made mistakes and kept going probably means you’ve learned more than many. A lot of long term success in landlording comes from building better systems over time.
Investor · Hatboro, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 854 votes
4mo
Welcome @Kim Gray. One of the investors in my group always says to look at messes and mistakes as failing forward. Honestly, that mindset is a huge part of long term success in real estate. And of course, being here on BP is one of the best places to get real world advice from people who have actually been through it.
Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
4mo
I'd recommend doing your bookkeeping monthly. Fundamentals:
1. Use one bank account and credit cards for your rental property activity owned in the same entity.
2. Use a spreadsheet or bookkeeping system such QBO, Stessa
If you want, I can send over a spreadsheet that I use and also make my clients fill out if they don't have a bookkeeping system.
3. At the end of the year, match mortgage interest, property taxes, and insurance to the 1098.
4. for property purchased in the year you're doing taxes for, have your cpa calculate the basis of the property. If you did rehab, you'll need to add all of those costs in.