Georgia apprasier wanting to start out in REI

Georgia apprasier wanting to start out in REI

Member since 2008 · 19 posts · 0 votes

Hello everyone,

I'm new around here, though I've been reading around the boards for about a week or so. Everyone around here seems really knowledgeable, and there has been a wealth of information thus far.

Here's some background on me: I'm 20 years old, and a full time college student. My father has been a certified real estate appraiser for about 8 years, and has his own LLC with which he does very well for himself. Last Christmas, I decided to sign up for an appraisal class and get my registration. Fast forward to nine months later, and I'm currently doing about three appraisals per week (potentially, I could do about eight per week, but business has been slow lately). I have access to MLS, FMLS, as well as Redlink (a piece of software that lists deed transfers and URAR information).

I just have a few questions that I would like to get some input on, because I'd like to get started with real estate investing within the next year or two. I'd like to save up the money to pay for my first deal cash, so I won't have to rely on getting a loan for it. My father is doing very well for himself in the appraisal industry, and I'll be able to do just as well once I get my college degree (I'm about 3 years from completing this). However, I'd love to get into REI as a nice source of supplemental income. If I enjoy it, I'd like to eventually own my own appraisal-based LLC and have employees working for me while focusing much of my time on REI.

Here are the questions that I have that I can think of right now:

1. I'm assuming that having direct access to the MLS system in Georgia will help me. However, just how valuable of an asset will this be to me? I like the idea of being able to find many deals for myself, instead of relying on a birddog to find them for me.

2. I know that I'm very young, and still inexperienced in REI. I'm still considered an apprentice appraiser, though I'm on my own and appraising properties without my dad even coming to the property at all. How easy is it to dabble in REI as supplemental income, rather than a full time job?

3. How much money should I anticipate having to spend on my first deal? I know that each market is different, as is every deal. However, I'd like to get some details on the veterans' initial deals. How much were your initial investments, and what kinds of profits did you turn?

I'm actually sitting in class right now, so I can't think of all the questions that I had wanted to list. As they come to me, I'll try to post them. My desire in this thread was basically to introduce myself, and to get input based on what you guys think about my situation.

Thanks a lot ahead of time guys!

0Reply
14 views

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2008 · 19 posts · 0 votes
    19y

    Ah, sorry for putting this thread in the wrong section!

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 9 votes
    19y

    Hey there Kabong,

    No problem, we are all glad that you just dropped in and became one of our new members. I would just like to say enjoy all of our forums and threads that are open for discussion. Feel free to ask what ever questions you may have if one of us does not have an answer one of us will. Once agin thanks for becoming a new member and please browse to the best of your abilities, and enjoy the gesture below!

    :welcome: To BP!!

  • Member since 2008 · 19 posts · 0 votes
    19y

    Thanks for the warm welcome, Loki! I won't tell on you for electronically contributing to the consumption of a minor =)

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 9 votes
    19y

    Thats too funny Kabong,

    But in your case there Non-Alcoholic beers! Or they can just be the standard root beer in your case, I like you humor and I hope to see you posting around in the near future. So what that being said go learn as much as you can and post advice when you know about something. thanks for you time and enjoy the new gesture below!

    Starbucks bro and if you dont like Starbucks
    Its what ever you love to drink!!

    :zzz:

  • Member since 2008 · 19 posts · 0 votes
    19y

    Lol I'm just yanking your chain. After reading up throughout the past few days, I'm very excited about the opportunities I may have within the next few years. I plan on using the resources given here as much as I can, so I doubt I'll be leaving this board anytime soon.

    Thanks again.

  • Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2008 · 18 posts · 1 vote
    19y

    Hello El Kabong,
    Welcome to the forum, I would suggest first decide what level of real estate investing you want to start at. Do you want to buy and flip, buy old homes and fix them up and sell them, do you want to be a landlord, Residential, commercial or just a birddog.

    Once you decide where you want to start, focus all of your time and energy seeking out the resources necessary to help you accomplish your goals. Good Luck to ya!

    :welcome:

    ww2

  • Real Estate Investor · London · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 74 votes
    19y

    :welcome: to BP.

    To address your questions a bit.

    Having direct MLS access is helpful but not all that critical. You need to value properties when investing. How one gets that done will vary. MLS is one way. Other investors use other means. Or they just have a friendly Realtor do the work. So, the data matters but MLS as a specific tool can be swapped for other solutions. As an appraiser you will have MLS access at some price. Use it to make money and do not worry about the cost.

    Almost all RE investors start part time. Hence doing so is not that hard. The book Weekend Millionaire is targeted at RE investors who have a day job during the week. Your day job makes RE investing a lot easier than some other professions.

    How much money depends on the deals you do. Cash always helps and more is better than less if you want a great price. Granted learning to invest when you lack cash is also a great way to sharpen your skills. The key to cash is you need more than you expect when you own a property (running costs, etc). If you are not holding long term them it is all about the short term costs. If you buy for all cash you have fewer transaction costs. If you use a lot of debt your return on equity looks a lot better.

    GA has (had?) the largest REIA group in the country. There are many people you can network with.

    A word of advice: Stick to doing clean appraisals. Do not hook up with investors who want to aggressively influence the numbers. They will get found out so they are a short term opportunity.

    John Corey

  • Member since 2008 · 689 posts · 23 votes
    19y

    I know a smart appraiser who flipped houses when he worked as an appraiser. His brother is a near do well and served as contractor. Went in a few of his houses and they were shoddy as we say. He did sell his products but he got out of flipping and started his own home inspection company. He is used alot by realtors who love his confidence and professional approach.

    I consider him extremely knowledgeable and one of the few in his field in our area that is competent. That came from years of appraising houses in the area. I don't have alot of confidence in Junior Appraisers as I have run across too many of them trying to appraise investment property when I have
    to repeat the appraisal visit with the senior appraiser when the lender requires it. Why can't lenders get that straight?

    Juniors needs a long time to learn the business but I would shorten the learning curve as much as possible by going to appraisals of investment properties.

    I just rehabbed a house and dumped $80,000 in it. The bank sent the appraiser and he just looked inside apparently and gave them a low number that they could feel good about. Let's say, $20,000 increase in value from sell price for a brand new kitchen, bath, windows, roof, etc. etc. I could have gotten physical with the guy after all of that work and no appraisal report. I keep asking for a copy of the appraisal but the bank says there isn't one. Now how professional is that. I'm sure the home equity loan they offered at prime plus 1.9% was priced simply because the ltv was so tight due to the "non-appraisal"

    You all have a complicated world. Welcome to simpler times here at bigger pockets.

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 447 votes
    19y

    Welcome to BP! Learning to appraise properties will be a great asset to you, you will be able to spot a truly great deal where others can’t. Like most investment arenas, information is a huge factor and you will have access to a lot of it. It is not necessary to have a lot of money if you can find good deals. You do need to have some reserves to live on but you don’t need tens of thousands of dollars to invest.

    8)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.