Looking to make connections in the greater Austin area

Looking to make connections in the greater Austin area

Rehabber · Georgetown, TX · Member since 2014 · 19 posts · 2 votes

Hi everyone,

I'm not new to BP, but I am new to Texas. I just arrived with my wife 5 months earlier than expected because the Army changed its mind (go figure). Anyway, I have been following Keyword topics on the area and have received a lot of hits on Austin, but we are wanting to focus more north in the Round Rock / Georgetown area. I am aware of the Masterminds lunch at Big Daddy's and plan to attend but am looking to network with anyone involved in the area. We're looking for multi-family properties at the moment (the right SFH would also work) to fix and flip or hold. I have construction experience so as long as it's structurally sound, i'm interested. My wife (BP Katie Reborchick) is looking for a job in the real estate arena. She has 3 years of experience as a property manager between Philadelphia PA and upstate NY. She's looking to work with someone knowledgeable in the property investment side of the house so that we can gain more insight to the processes that work in Texas. We're both excited to be here and start a new chapter in Texas as my Aviation career lead us to this great area . I look forward to hearing from the BP community.

Regards,

Josh

2Reply
36 views

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Involved In Real Estate · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 65 posts · 9 votes
    12y

    Hi @Josh Reborchick 

    I have a couple SF and a 4-plex here in Austin that I self-manage.  I'd love to meet more like-minded individuals in the area as well.  I see you're wanting the north area, but how big is your radius?  Is south Austin something you would look at?

  • Rehabber · Georgetown, TX · Member since 2014 · 19 posts · 2 votes
    12y
    I'm not against it, I just don't know the area. I will be working in the Killeen area which is why I'm looking north of Austin. Also, I know Austin is hot but pricing seems slim on the margins as well as competition.
  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome to BP community @Josh Reborchick  It is a great place to meet new friends and learn about various aspects of real estate and more. 

    Wishing you the best! 

  • Rehabber · Georgetown, TX · Member since 2014 · 19 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Thanks Dmitriy!  I'm looking forward to it.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 139 posts · 89 votes
    12y

    welcome, welcome! I'm moving to the north Austin area myself in a little less than a month. I'll look for you at this Big Daddy's everyone mentions.

    Funny thing, you're moving to Kileen and looking to invest in the north Austin area. I'm moving to the north Austin area and thinking about investing in Killeen once I get my feet on the ground. The grass is always greener, I guess. 

    As you say, the market down there is pretty competitive. I was hoping to buy a house right away and then it into a rental next year but that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

    Good luck with the move!

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    12y

    @Josh Reborchick 

    welcome to the site.

  • Real Estate Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 21 posts · 24 votes
    12y

    The Big Daddy's lunch really is great - there is a wide mix of backgrounds (investors, wholesalers, developers, title guys, money guys, and even a self-described organic lady who does almost all of the above) and it is always packed, so get there on time for sure. There are some other meetings listed at meetup.com as well, as you are right that it is a very active investor community. I have to ask, are you a cash buyer, and are you open to Hutto/Pflugerville and Cedar Park/Leander as well?

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 232 posts · 173 votes
    12y

    @Josh Reborchick 

    Welcome to Fort Hood!

    If you do end up interested in something a little closer to home, there is a local Killeen group here:

    http://www.meetup.com/Real-Estate-Investors-of-Kil...

    We meet at El Chico every first and third Thursday for lunch.

    Killeen seems to be getting even warmer for the buy and hold landlord types. 

    Being a military town, the rental market is fantastic. So it depends on what type of investing you're interested in. I also think with the great rates but 100% financing of the VA loan, there would be a lot of great sub 2 opportunities.

    I also try to keep up on the Wilco area and Austin, too, and am a member of the RENC here:

    http://www.austinrenc.com/. 

    Haven't been to the Big Daddys thing, but should probably work it in, too.  That sounds great.

  • Rehabber · Georgetown, TX · Member since 2014 · 19 posts · 2 votes
    12y
    Scott and Brian, thanks for the response. The Killeen area seems attractive in terms of price, but it also seems overdeveloped. It seems like a 10 year old house will sit on the market Bc there are so many brand new developments to rent. Also, the military is being downsized at the moment. They have given a few thousand captains alone "pink slips" a few grand and a handshake. I don't know the area like you but overproduction and a shrinking renter population seems like a bad combo. The reason I'm thinking Georgetown is the urban sprawl of Austin. Its increasing in price every year (a friend that lives there said every 6 months it seems like a different place) and people that don't want to pay 1200 bucks for a 1 bed studio in Austin are moving to. Just my thoughts without any knowledge on the area. I'm still interested in the meet up to get another's perspective. Ben, I can be a cash investor for a flip but don't want to tie up equity in a hold property. Max in the $80-100k range at the moment. I'm actually driving right now to Killeen airport to figure how long it would take me to get there for work. We really don't want to rent a place but I need to find housing ASAP as I don't want to overstay my welcome with my friend and his wife. The idea was to find a duplex to fix one side and live in the other for the moment then do the live in, fix then flip process. Any ideas? Anyone have any deals they're looking to sell? I'm looking for a realtor at the moment... Thanks again for all of the response guys! I'm looking forward to working with you. Josh
  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 232 posts · 173 votes
    12y

    @Josh Reborchick 

    If I understand correctly, you are looking for multifamilies as investments, but also looking for a duplex for yourselves as owner occupants?  Are you looking to live in the Round Rock/Georgetown area or nearer Fort Hood.

    I am a Realtor myself with StarPointe Realty.  Being former military, I'm probably most familiar with the Killeen area, but have also been growing roots in the Georgetown area.  At a minimum, I can send you comps for any properties in either the Fort Hood or Austin areas if you need them.

    As for your Killeen concerns, they are not unreasonable. I have a SFH rental and 4plex in the area, and it was an uneasy feeling knowing that the town was an "Army town". However with the new hospital they are building on post and the Texas A&M Central Texas campus on the southwest side, Killeen looks poised to continue growing for the foreseeable future, even without the War on Terror being what it was. As for the BRAC realignment, Fort Hood has been pretty well spared. I'm not 100% sure of the numbers, but believe that at top the post might lose a net 4000 Soldiers over the next four years. Not insignificant when considering their families as well, but it looks like the economy in the area is likely to diversify enough to make up for more than that number.

    Definitely the new housing starts kills flippers.  Most of the investors I know up here are landlord types, so it just depends on what you are into.  It does seem like there are more and more Austin investors feeling priced out of that market and heading north.

    Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.  Call any time at (512) 763-7912 or email me at [email protected].

  • Investor · South Jersey, NJ · Member since 2013 · 338 posts · 22 votes
    12y

    Welcome to BP,

    Great luck, I love Texas. I have visited Houston and Dallas.

  • Dave VisayaPro Member
    Moderator
    Audio Engineer and Investor · Cebu City, Cebu · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 881 votes
    12y

    Hey @Josh Reborchick welcome to BiggerPockets! Feel free to jump right in the forums and interact with the 200,000 plus members here! This is indeed a great community!

    BiggerPockets
  • Rehabber · Georgetown, TX · Member since 2014 · 19 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    thanks Greg and Dave!  I've spent a few summers at the shore in south jersey!  Great times.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.