Newbie from Jarrettsville, Maryland

Newbie from Jarrettsville, Maryland

Wholesaler · Jarrettsville, MD · Member since 2013 · 15 posts · 1 vote

Hello, my name is Robert Akens. I am a general contractor in Maryland and am currently learning about real estate investing. I am interested in a variety of real estate investment strategies in hopes to find the one that works best for me. I read as much as I can and follow the BP podcast as often as I can.

I am having a hard time making my first (real) move towards making a deal. I question myself as to whether I am studying something that is worth studying. I also have a big trust problem with people, since I have been burned on numerous occasions as a general contractor. I feel that I would like to find someone who can assist/mentor me in things like wholesaling, ARV, and rehabbing. As a contractor, I am familiar with all facets of home remodeling and improvements, but fail at being able to compute the after repair value.

I am looking for help and hope to be able to find it here. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

1Reply
12 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Robert Akens

    Welcome. Take a good look at student housing see below. Time to build the foundation below.

    Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

    Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses,The Book on Estimating ReHab Costshttp://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and all the cash buyers (rehabbers) you will need.

    You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

    Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

    Good luck

    Paul

  • Real Estate Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Welcome to BP @Robert Akens !! 

  • Wholesaler · Jarrettsville, MD · Member since 2013 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    12y
    Naif Abdullah thanks for the welcome.
  • Wholesaler · Jarrettsville, MD · Member since 2013 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    12y
    Paul Timmins appreciate the advise. I will look into REIA in my area and see when they hold there next.
  • Dave VisayaPro Member
    Moderator
    Audio Engineer and Investor · Cebu City, Cebu · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 881 votes
    12y

    Hey @Robert Akens welcome to BP! This is a great place to get help and also a reliable source of information. Feel free to jump in the forums. If you like you can check out this page to get to know more about how to use biggerpockets.com: http://www.biggerpockets.com/tour.

    See you around the site!

    BiggerPockets
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.