Yet another new kid on the block from Princeton, NJ

Yet another new kid on the block from Princeton, NJ

Homeowner · Princeton, NJ · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 3 votes

Hi, my name is Brian Szucs and I am finally taking the plunge into real estate investing. But first what I am currently doing. I am a software engineer and have been for the past 17 years. I make what other consider "good money" but I just do not like working, never did. Let me be specific, I do not like working for someone else on their terms, no, actually I don't like the entire idea that I HAVE to work. I originally started my self improvement venture 17 years ago when I first entered the software/IT industry with How to Win Friends and Influence People. From there it was on, I was addicted, I listened to all of Tony Robbins courses, Think and Grow Rich, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People etc... but it wasn't until I finally read Rich Dad, Poor Dad in which I questioned the whole "work" thing. I then read or listened to all of Robert Kiyosaki's books/CD's as well as purchased Cash Flow, joined my local investment club, went to meetings and was primed and ready back in 2003 but was too fearful to make a move. I listened but still didn't take action. I had gotten my real estate license, attended even more seminars, such as Dave Lindahl's Apartment House Riches, (Which is one strategy I am very interested in) had great credit and even cash on hand but was too fearful of making a huge mistake. I also made too big of goals that started out of my comfort zone. I think I did this because of Tony Robbins saying shoot for the stars. I've done a lot of maturing since then and realize I should have just started as small as I could. And now, I have a perfect role model that I know. I watched a good friend go from struggling to being 100% financially free and he is my inspiration. I know this market may not be the same as then but I have learned, and continue to learn, that there is money to be made and the most buck for your time is in real estate. Commercial is my end goal but I am ready to start small, slow and calculated. I was too impatient before. This time I am going to be patient and I have a 5 year plan instead of my famous 3 month plan. I understand the rule, you get out what you put in and I am all in.

1Reply
9 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 603 votes
12y

I started typing a response to your introduction before your second post. My only guess as to what happened is sometimes people get intimidated by big long paragraphs :)

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Homeowner · Princeton, NJ · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    I am completely serious and want true and constructive feedback. 

    I have noticed I am the only new member within the past hour or so that hasn't gotten a single response and I seem to have this problem in life also and figure there are some brutally honest people on here that can help. 

    Do I come across in a distasteful way? 

    What can I focus on that may make me more likable?

    Do I sound too green? 

    Too overconfident? 

    Did I miss/break a rule? 

    I apologize if I did and I am not kidding, constructive feedback is the only way I can learn. The only world I know is in my head and boy its a doozie!

    Brian

  • Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 603 votes
    12y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets @Brian Szucs, thanks for introdfucing yourself tro the community. I'm a big proponent of self development and it's awesome to see that material shape your thinking. 

    Hopefully the site as a whole can act as a mentor for you moving forward. See you around!

  • Homeowner · Princeton, NJ · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    Thanks @Mehran K. I think this site is going to be the equivalent of Facebook for my wife. Way too much information, I am going to get in trouble for not finishing my day "job" work. 

    Brian

  • Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 603 votes
    12y

    I started typing a response to your introduction before your second post. My only guess as to what happened is sometimes people get intimidated by big long paragraphs :)

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome to BP community @Brian Szucs  It is a great place to meet new friends and learn about various aspects of real estate and more. 

    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

    Wishing you the best! 

  • Homeowner · Princeton, NJ · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    Ahhh, thanks for that insight @Mehran K. I guess I wasn't considering that because there is soooo much reading to do here it would just become second nature but for an introduction, I can see that point clearly. 

    Brian

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Spring Hill, FL · Member since 2014 · 234 posts · 132 votes
    12y

    @Brian Szucs 

    Its not you...its that there are so many threads! I find if the title is not catchy or doesn't grab my attention, then I don't open and read it :0

    I seen you're from NJ, I know of a duplex for sale up there thats not on the MLS ( at least I'm pretty sure its not) Let me know if you'd like the details.

    Good luck!

  • Homeowner · Princeton, NJ · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    @Amanda Young

    Ahh, great point, thanks. I do need to get better at content for humans. Being a current software developer I am isolated a lot and do not write sentences to people, I rather write sentences to a computer and they act totally different, can you believe the nerve??? I should send them to the Da KrakenWagen. (Sorry, I was at an Octoberfest party and they were playing those "How German Sounds Different than Other Languages" videos. (Ok... "They" is ME). But they are hilarious;

    Enjoy

    Brian

  • Dave VisayaPro Member
    Moderator
    Audio Engineer and Investor · Cebu City, Cebu · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 881 votes
    12y

    Hey @Brian Szucs welcome to the site! Feel free to jump in the forums and check what matters most for you. Also, podcasts are great too!

    BiggerPockets
  • Jonna WeberPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 736 votes
    12y

    Welcome @Brian Szucs!  I visted Princeton this Summer for the first time, very charming town.    

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.