New In Wonderful Gatlinburg Tn

New In Wonderful Gatlinburg Tn

Investor · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2015 · 75 posts · 33 votes

Good afternoon everyone,

After following BP for almost a year, it is time to get involved. My lovely wife and I moved here 4 months ago from Chicago Illinois. We now live off of our Vacation Rental Cabins here and are looking to purchase more as well as converse with the community about other investing. 

This site is a wealth of information. 

2Reply
20 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Engineer · Oakland, CA · Member since 2014 · 121 posts · 76 votes
    11y

    What are your vacancy rates like over the year in Gatlinburg?

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y

    @Robert R. 

    Good too see another member getting involved in the forums. Welcome to the site.

  • Investor · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2015 · 75 posts · 33 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Evan R.:

    What are your vacancy rates like over the year in Gatlinburg?

     We rented 249 days at one cabin last year and 248 at the other. In January and February the weekends only rent. The rest of the year is terrific. 

  • Service Business Owner · Germantown, TN · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Hey Robert and all Gatlinburg fans. Robert, Did you own and rent the cabins in Gatlinburg prior to moving to the area?

    Do you manage them yourself? I found 1 that charges 22% , The rest are at 50-70 % = crazy.  How is your experience with management companies or Yourself in doing it? Is it demanding to do for guests ?

    I friend of mine purchased 6 large cabins in Cobbly nob - 1 in 2010 and the others last year. The older one is doing very well and speaks highly of the overnight rental market there.

  • Real Estate Investor · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Robert,

    I have a rental in Chalet Village that does pretty well. I'd like to ask you how you protect yourself from liability in the cabin rental business. Specifically, how do you structure your business? I have my cabin in an LLC and also have a large umbrella policy. I have a pretty tight rental policy, but want to be as worry free as I can. How do you handle your hot-tubs? I'm not sure how the law applies to single-family cabins, but I'm pretty sure the hot-tub isn't classified as public, so the law requiring sound-activation in the hot-tub doesn't apply.

    Any info would be appreciated. Thanks,

    Jim Huefner

  • Taft, TX · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
    9y

    Does the rental price per night make a big difference on the vacancy rate???

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.