Hello all! I'm brand new and from Tulsa, Oklahoma

Hello all! I'm brand new and from Tulsa, Oklahoma

Shipping Container Sales, Infrequent Real Estate Investor · Van Buren, AR · Member since 2015 · 78 posts · 25 votes

I'm a relative novice in real estate from the investment view.  Check out my profile or message me if you want to know more about how I "got started" in real estate.  I do have some experience with fix-n-flips, wholesaling, and owner finance.  Of course, I would like to learn more. However, and more importantly, I want to DO more. I've been "thinking about" and "wanting to" for a long time. I believe there comes a point where you just have to jump in and get start getting dirty.  I think I'm there.  

My big "carrot on a stick" goal for my family is to be able to buy a live aboard sailboat and sail around the world. Several years ago my wife and I sold everything thing we owned and walked 1,000 miles, across 5 states, with nothing but backpacks.  We didn't know where we would lay our heads at night and it was the most amazing feeling of freedom you could imagine!  Our little saying was, "you can't be lost if you have nowhere to be."  We want to live out a version of that freedom everyday and bring our children up in it. So we have chosen RE as the vehicle to get us there.  I stumbled upon bigger pockets through the podcast on my phone. I LOVE THE PODCAST!  If you haven't listened to the podcast you really don't know what you're missing. 

I can't wait to meet some folks and make some friends.  Wishing you full sails and bigger pockets from Tulsa, OK.

1Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Tulsa, OK · Member since 2014 · 30 posts · 7 votes
11y

Welcome to BP @Jeffrey Vandagriff. I'm new to real estate too. My wife loves the idea of living aboard a sailboat and sailing around the world. I had never sailed before meeting her six years ago, but she's taught me a lot and I love it. And that sounds awesome about your walking journey. I'm a big advocate for walking and bicycling in Tulsa. There's no better way to experience the city and your surroundings. 

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP

  • Property Manager · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2008 · 186 posts · 208 votes
    11y

    @Jeffrey Vandagriff 

    Welcome to BP. Sounds like one heck of a journey!

  • Shipping Container Sales, Infrequent Real Estate Investor · Van Buren, AR · Member since 2015 · 78 posts · 25 votes
    11y

    Thanks @Tamela Shannon!

    @Nate Garrett Thanks! It was an amazing journey.  I'll post a link to our walking blog as soon as I find an appropriate place.  Lots of great stories to read about.  Right now we are just starting our real estate "journey." 

  • Edmond, OK · Member since 2014 · 34 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    Great intro!  Welcome to BP.  I'm not too far from over in OKC.

  • Tulsa, OK · Member since 2014 · 18 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    Hey Jeff welcome to BP great to have you. 

  • Shipping Container Sales, Infrequent Real Estate Investor · Van Buren, AR · Member since 2015 · 78 posts · 25 votes
    11y

    @Natassha Brown Thanks!  It was great to meet you and Zachary last thursday.  Hope to see you both again soon. 

  • Investor · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2013 · 277 posts · 78 votes
    11y

    @Jeffrey Vandagriff welcome to BP man! What an awesome goal. My fiance and I talked about the same thing after we got done sailing for the first time around BVI last year...what an amazing way it would be to spend a year. From the sounds of it, Tulsa is a pretty good place to be investing. Best of luck to you.

  • Tulsa, OK · Member since 2014 · 30 posts · 7 votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP @Jeffrey Vandagriff. I'm new to real estate too. My wife loves the idea of living aboard a sailboat and sailing around the world. I had never sailed before meeting her six years ago, but she's taught me a lot and I love it. And that sounds awesome about your walking journey. I'm a big advocate for walking and bicycling in Tulsa. There's no better way to experience the city and your surroundings. 

  • Investor/RE Broker · Eugene, OR · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 968 votes
    11y

    @Jeffrey Vandagriff

     Hi and welcome to BiggerPockets! It’s a great place to learn more about investing and meet the people you want to meet. If you haven't yet, be sure to check out the The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing and don't forget to set up your Keyword Alerts!

    Your walking journey sounds incredible.

  • Shipping Container Sales, Infrequent Real Estate Investor · Van Buren, AR · Member since 2015 · 78 posts · 25 votes
    11y

    @Tyler Flagg Thanks!  I'd love to get over to the BVI's and spend a week or two on a charter.  That would be a blast.  Of course, it would be better in my own boat...  I used to live in Norman and OKC, in fact, that is where I had my 2 live-in flips.  

    @Stephen Lassiter I guess i need to officially learn HOW to sail one of these days if I want to live aboard. And yes, seeing the world around you go by at 2 mph is beautiful. It took us two solid weeks of walking before the pressures of societal living fell off.  I even got rid of my wrist watch!

    @Larry Fried believe me, I feel very welcomed!  Sure wish I had known about this great community sooner, but I've found it now and I'm excited to be here.  Thanks for the tips on the guide and keywords.  I've already skimmed the guide and set up a few alerts.  Great stuff!  See you around the site.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.