New investor in Jefferson County, WV

New investor in Jefferson County, WV

Realtor / Listener / Coach · Charles Town, WV · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 23 votes

Hello Everyone!

I'm new to this as a business but "accidentally" wound up with some experience as both a landlord and rehabbing a property, thanks to the combination of the real estate crash last decade, and our tight finances forcing us to purchase a "fixer-upper" when our family grew.

When my wife and I first got married, we bought a small "starter home" in a quiet neighborhood, pretty much at the peak of the real estate market for our area. Real estate values came crashing down, but our family was getting bigger, and we realized that we needed to start looking for a house with a little more space. Being $50,000 upside down on our house, we couldn't afford to sell it, and so we decided to rent it out. And being tight on money, we couldn't afford a home that was "move-in ready."

We bought an old farm house for $135,000, put $60,000 into it, and when we finished (two months after the purchase) we refinanced to get a fixed rate loan (all we could qualify for at the time of purchase was an ARM), and the appraisal came back from that refinance at $225,000. First home was rented out for $200 over the mortgage, we had $30,000 more in equity than we'd put into the second home (the farm house, our current home), and I thought "hmm... this worked out pretty well! Too bad I don't have the time or money to do this again!"

Fast forward several years, I've got a little more time and money, so it's time to try this again, and this time as a real business, not just "by accident." My goal is to start slow and eventually be able to do this full-time.

We've steadily accumulated equity in the property we're in as we've continued to improve it, and the last appraisal we had (October 2012) had a value of $280,000, so I'm hoping to tap into that via a HELOC to fund purchases. Anything we decide to hold and rent we'll refinance to a fixed-rate loan.

So, I've been doing everything I know how to do to educate myself. I've read about a dozen books so far, listened to probably a hundred hours of pod casts and free online training, been reading blogs, and I've been driving around looking for interesting properties. I actually visited one distressed property that's for sale in my area and my wife and wrote up a rehab plan "just for fun" (yes, I really did think it was fun!), but the seller is asking $50k and according to my estimates it needs to be at $25k for there to be $10k in profit left after the rehab. The past month I've been spending my weekends prepping for another appraisal on our property (minor improvements like paint, spreading fresh gravel on the driveway, some minor landscaping, etc.), in the hopes of getting the largest possible HELOC.

So, that's where I'm at. Hopefully I'll at least be in the "made an offer" club before another 60 days pass, and I'd really like to have finished my first flip before the summer is out. You can hold me accountable :-)

  -Josh

1Reply
12 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Dallas TX, United States · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Welcome Josh

    You will like it here on BP. If you ever travel to Pittsburgh then I would like to invite you to come and check out my club the Pittsburgh REIA. We offer a lot of education, and we can help accelerate your goals

    To your success

    Josh

  • Investor · Shepherdstown, WV · Member since 2013 · 39 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP... I'm just outside of Shepherdstown.

    It sounds like you're off to a great start!

    Do you attend any of the REIAs out here?

  • Realtor / Listener / Coach · Charles Town, WV · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 23 votes
    11y

    So far I haven't been able to find a local REI club... can you point me towards one? I've thought about going into eastern Loudoun where there are some clubs, but that's a bit of a drive, and it's a different market than Jefferson.

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Joshua Beall

    Welcome. 

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers). You can google for clubs and check meetup.com

    Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

    Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

    Good Luck

    Paul

  • Real Estate Investor · Reston, VA · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    @Joshua Beall, what about this: http://www.meetup.com/Frederick-Tax-Lien-and-Real-...

    You had me curious so I searched a little... Are you closer to Frederick than Leesburg?

    If that's not what you're looking for maybe you'll find another meetup nearby.

  • Realtor / Listener / Coach · Charles Town, WV · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 23 votes
    11y

    Hi D'Aydra,

    Thanks for the suggestion! To answer your question, I'd generally say I'm a hair closer to Frederick than Leesburg, but it really depends on where in Frederick or Leesburg we're talking about. If it's the far side of Frederick vs the near side of Leesburg, it might take quite a bit longer to get to the Frederick location.

    I'm open to visiting a club in nearby counties, like Frederick MD, Loudoun VA, or Frederick VA, but those are not really the market I'd like to get started in, so when I said couldn't find any local REIAs, that's what I meant: I couldn't find any in Jefferson or Berkeley County WV.

    However, thanks to @Bill Kenny, I did find a group in Berkeley County. I don't know why I couldn't find their listing anywhere, but Bill sent me a direct link to their website. Unfortunately I'm gone for their next meeting (in May), but am planning on going in June. I may also attend a few other groups just for the experience (probably would be good for me), but I'm most excited/interested about being connected with a local group. I'd like to find a group that's not a long drive that I can visit each month.

    Are you in a group in your area? Do you like it? Do you have a link with more info?

    Thanks!

      -Josh

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.