New to BP DC Metro Area

New to BP DC Metro Area

Professional · Arlington, VA · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 3 votes

Good Morning,

Very excited to have found Bigger Pockets and to start my profile. Real Estate Investing has peaked my interest and after some research I've learned this really is the place to be. Quick background on me- I am a transitioning Navy Veteran off Active Duty looking for a great career change.

I look forward to meeting both new and seasoned Investors. If there is any way I can be of assistance to others, please let me know. 

Thank you,

Sarah

3Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Milton, PA · Member since 2013 · 110 posts · 20 votes
11y

Welcome Sarah! There are a ton of investors from the DC/MD/VA area on here. Most of them are extremely busy (myself included) and love when new motivated investors can add value. I met my mentor in BiggerPockets and he took me in because I lived in DC (he's in VA) and I dove head first in to start adding value to his operations. I had some cash, and I started immediately finding us flips through marketing and networking.

Start thinking of ways you know you can contribute.  Marketing, writing, social media, networking... these are all things that can add value to any team.

Feel free to reach out to me if you need anything!  Always in the market for some new team members!

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2012 · 149 posts · 33 votes
    11y

    Sarah, welcome! I live in Laurel, MD, but used to live in NoVA not that long ago. There's a fair number of DC metro area members here and there's a couple of great meetups and REIAs too. Everyone here is gonna tell you to find your local REIA (real estate investors association), so you might as well do it and see if you can attend a couple of meetings. Some of them are paid, some are free. I'd check out the free ones first.

    There was also a BP-specific DC area meetup, but I haven't really been following, so can't say if that's still happening.

  • Investor · Upper Marlboro, MD · Member since 2014 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    Welcome, Sarah, and thank you for your service.  I'm in PG county MD and still doing most of my deals there and in southern Maryland, but you're right - the NoVa market is quite strong

  • Real Estate Broker · Bowie, MD · Member since 2014 · 242 posts · 44 votes
    11y
     @Sarah Cevallos:

    Welcome! I am a newbie in Suitland, Maryland, and I work in Alexandria, VA so I am very close to where you are. I am so excited for your new start and for that to be in real estate. It's nothing like having a passion and discovering the great ways of making money doing that which you love. Stick with it, read, listen and learn, and you'll go far! Happy learning and the best of hope to you and your success!

    Regards,

    Stephanie Dobbs

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Sarah Cevallos

    Welcome. Thanks for your service. You might check out the year long housing stipend available to homeless veterans guaranteed payment very lucrative.

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers). You can Google to locate them and go to meetup.com

    Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

    Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

    Good Luck

    Paul

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP @Sarah Cevallos Find and network with local investors using find feature! http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet

    Also, be sure to set up “keyword alerts” to notify the topics that interest you. 

    Wishing you the best!

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Sarah Cevallos

    BP is full of useful resources such as forums and blogs. Welcome to the Bigger Pockets community-be sure to check out all the awesome BP blogs under “Learn.”

  • Investor / Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 667 votes
    11y

    @Sarah Cevallos

    Welcome and I am looking forward to transitioning from military service to full time REI in a few years. I just moved from Southern MD to FL recently. Good luck!

  • Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Paul Timmins:

    @Sarah Cevallos

    Welcome. Thanks for your service. You might check out the year long housing stipend available to homeless veterans guaranteed payment very lucrative.

    Paul, I'm not familiar with this, what else can you tell me about it??

  • Investor · Milton, PA · Member since 2013 · 110 posts · 20 votes
    11y

    Welcome Sarah! There are a ton of investors from the DC/MD/VA area on here. Most of them are extremely busy (myself included) and love when new motivated investors can add value. I met my mentor in BiggerPockets and he took me in because I lived in DC (he's in VA) and I dove head first in to start adding value to his operations. I had some cash, and I started immediately finding us flips through marketing and networking.

    Start thinking of ways you know you can contribute.  Marketing, writing, social media, networking... these are all things that can add value to any team.

    Feel free to reach out to me if you need anything!  Always in the market for some new team members!

  • Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    Welcome Sarah! I'm a newbie investor and new to BP as well. Here's some info on a REIA in NoVA in case you haven't heard about it yet.

    http://tractionreia.com/th_event/traction-reia-tys...

    I've been going to their meetings for the past few months. It's a good group. The next meeting is this Thursday. Maybe I'll see you there. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.