Buy-and-hold rental properties from Massachusetts

Buy-and-hold rental properties from Massachusetts

Investor · Petersham, MA · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 2 votes

Buy-and-hold rental properties in Massachusetts with decent land size

 I manage EdibleProperties.com and rent out 1-5 acre homesteads to people who want to grow their own food and raise their own animals in right-to-farm townships.  We have been blessed to live on a homestead for the past eight years and it has been a wonderful, amazing experience.   More or less, I produce most of the food for my wife and I for the year on our homestead. Living here, we have discovered many other people that want to do the same thing but cannot afford a mortgage. My first property to try this niche is a 3 bedroom home with office on a 5 acre property in Belchertown MA. It is  up for rent now as of September 9, 2015. I hope this crazy idea works! We want good tennants,  we want cash flow, and we want to help earnest people find a chance to enjoy the good life of homesteading.  If this cannot be a win-win situation I'm not sure I'm interested.  I live for win-wins in all my negotiations. 

About Bigger Pockets: I am quite impressed with the humble nature of this website and the people on it, with the podcasts, with the blogs, the forums, everything. This community has been very inviting and encouraging and it's so great to be involved with this community and feel like I am not dealing in some kind of future upsale or sales scam.  In a nutshell it is down–home! The podcast and the free PDFs have been an excellent education for me. I look forward to earning cash flow while at the same time helping people. I look forward to corresponding and meeting you here.

Kent Byron

1Reply
5 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Leominster, MA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 589 votes
    11y

    good luck @Kent Byron. It sounds like you found a great market to be in. Keep us updated. 

  • Investor · Petersham, MA · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    Hi Rob!

    Thanks for your reply. I hope we have a good idea. Idealists like myself say "yes" to it, others say no. I'm not sure I ran the figures right to buy this place even though we bought it at a discount. We guess the rent since there are no comps in that area for rent. We estimated it at 1% of the mortgage, and that still seems high. Any lower and we will most likely be losing money on this property.  What kind of real estate are you into? Do you landlord? Take care Amigo, Kent Byron

  • Mike HurneyPro Member
    Real Estate Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 542 votes
    11y

    @Kent Byron Interesting niche! Good luck.

  • Justin ReppPro Member
    Realtor · Beverly, MA · Member since 2015 · 108 posts · 19 votes
    11y

    @Kent Byron I love this idea!  I wish you the best of luck.  I could actually see this idea working well closer to the city.  Although the land would be much pricier, I think this idea would resonate well with the millennial generation who are already overpaying in the crowded city.  Just a thought...good luck!

  • Investor · Petersham, MA · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    Thank you Justin. Thanks for the positive energy. I think to keep investment costs down I could even find properties in the cities near a farther-away T station so folks can commute without a car. With bio-intensive gardening techniques one can plant a lot of food on 1/4 to 1 sunny acre of land with far more yield than commercial growers can do. Permaculture experts around the globe are proving this fact on crop yield to be true. I want to see people turning their lawns into food and my way of promoting this is investing to help people homestead on rentals. Thank you very much for your note.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.