Landlord and Licensed Real Estate Agent Seeking Growth!!!

Landlord and Licensed Real Estate Agent Seeking Growth!!!

Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 107 posts · 37 votes

Greetings! First time poster, long time lurker and enthusiastic podcast listener. 

My name is Michael Kovac, I have been a landlord now for a little over 5 years and I am looking to take my experience and portfolio to the next level. I must say that BP certainly has a wealth of information for REI that is not otherwise available. I have spent many hours listening to podcasts, reading the blogs and trolling the forums to sharpen my skills. I have decided to become more active on BP as I assume it will help me grow in the world of REI and also professionally.

Cliff Notes on me, I am a 27 year old UCONN graduate with 5 years of REI, property management and landlord experience. I currently own and manage $1.5MM of property located in Fairfield County, Connecticut. As a day job I enjoy my other passion, working with exotic, collectable and rare vehicles.

I have decided to be proactive in achieving my financial freedom and taking the next step in becoming a full time real estate investor and property manager. Last week I passed my CT salesperson exam in the hopes of finding a broker in the area that specializes in commercial and income property to affiliate with and learn from.  

My goal is to eventually start my own property management company to create additional passive income while at the same time growing my own portfolio. I would also love to get involved in syndication and moving into larger commercial units ie apartment buildings, retail etc. With that being said if anyone in the local area can put me in touch with a professional that can "show me the ropes" I would certainly be much obliged, I will be doing my own scouting and research as well in the days to come. Thanks in advance, I look forward to becoming part of the community.

2Reply
6 views

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP @Michael Kovac.  Always great to see other people from Connecticut getting involved on the forums.

    There are a lot of great people on the forums from Fairfield County on here and I know the meetup has been valuable down there as well for a lot of BPers.

  • Upen PatelPro Member
    Lender · Nationwide Lender · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 814 votes
    11y
    @Michael Kovac Welcome to BP.

    If it was me, I would keep playing with my exotic cars. :-) But that would not pay the bills, so I see the dilemma.

    Upen Patel

    Federal NMLS# 1374243

  • Real Estate Broker · Orange, CT · Member since 2013 · 951 posts · 218 votes
    11y

    Just find a few buildings your interested in and lookup who is managing them..

  • Real Estate Broker · Fairfield, CT · Member since 2015 · 312 posts · 231 votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP! Its a whole lot of fun if nothing else! And always nice to see someone in the area looking beyond SFH... Might suggest looking in Stamford for a solid commercial broker with whom to hang your hat... what are your holdings in Fairfield? And what is your next target acquisition?

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y

    @Michael Kovac

    Welcome to the site.

    Sounds like you have a solid background in the industry.

    Good luck to you and ill see you around the forums.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 107 posts · 37 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Phil Z.:

    Just find a few buildings your interested in and lookup who is managing them..

    Phil, thanks for the advice. I believe we actually met back last winter, you showed me the REO at the end of Sasco Hill in Fairfield.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 107 posts · 37 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Travis Lloyd:

    Welcome to BP! Its a whole lot of fun if nothing else! And always nice to see someone in the area looking beyond SFH... Might suggest looking in Stamford for a solid commercial broker with whom to hang your hat... what are your holdings in Fairfield? And what is your next target acquisition?

    Thank you Travis.

    Stamford seems to be a local hotbed for commercial property, the only issue is that I need to keep a day job for the purposes of verifiable W2 income. From my understanding most commercial brokers want their agents to be full time and at the moment unless I can get a full time position with a property management firm that provides me with a steady paycheck, benefits etc. it will be hard to make the transition. I am beginning to think that doing rentals PT might be smart until I can get my foot in the door or make some connections.

    Currently my holdings are as follows:

    • SFR in Trumbull
    • SFR in Fairfield
    • 2 Family in Newtown
    • 1.33 Acres of Vacant land in North Stamford currently on market

    This upcoming winter I would like to refi at least two properties and then acquire two additional MFRs in the black rock area or the sacred heart area in Bridgeport this upcoming spring.

  • Real Estate Broker · Fairfield, CT · Member since 2015 · 312 posts · 231 votes
    11y

     Black Rock is wonderful, though probably not as undervalued as the Sacred Heart area is. Still, great deals can be found in both.

  • Engineer, Investor, Entrepreneur · Newtown, CT · Member since 2014 · 111 posts · 37 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Travis Lloyd:

     Black Rock is wonderful, though probably not as undervalued as the Sacred Heart area is. Still, great deals can be found in both.

    What type of areas are these? Do you guys own any investment properties around Black Rock or SHU? I just checked them out on Google Street View and it seems like a nicer multifamily district....comparable to West Hartford multis. I am more familiar with Southwestern and Central Connecticut and have not ventured too deep into the Bridgeport/New Haven area.

  • FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 357 votes
    11y

    @Michael Kovac,

    Welcome to the Best Real Estate Site on the Net.
    It is always nice to see another Ct., resident in the forums.
    Click on the "learn tab" at the top of the page, and you could be spending many hours on the Information that is available.
    Raymond

  • Real Estate Broker · Fairfield, CT · Member since 2015 · 312 posts · 231 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Rob Brautigam:
    Originally posted by @Travis Lloyd:

     Black Rock is wonderful, though probably not as undervalued as the Sacred Heart area is. Still, great deals can be found in both.

    What type of areas are these? Do you guys own any investment properties around Black Rock or SHU? I just checked them out on Google Street View and it seems like a nicer multifamily district....comparable to West Hartford multis. I am more familiar with Southwestern and Central Connecticut and have not ventured too deep into the Bridgeport/New Haven area.

     Black Rock is wonderful, I love the little town they have built there. You almost (almost) forget you're in Bridgeport... Sacred heart area doesn't have that - but they have the college kids, who don't have much of a chance. If you go with a multi in Black Rock, you will get a lot of new grads as tenants, and 20 somethings moving out of their parents' houses in Fairfield. Great renters... but watch out for the flood zones - they're in a lot of places you wouldn't expect by looking at the map.

  • Engineer, Investor, Entrepreneur · Newtown, CT · Member since 2014 · 111 posts · 37 votes
    11y

    Thanks for the insight @Travis Lloyd, appreciate it. 

  • Investor · Fairfield-New Haven-Hartford County, CT · Member since 2013 · 825 posts · 413 votes
    11y

    @Michael Kovac congrats on accumulating a nice portfolio!

    I wouldn't call being a property manager a passive job, but I think I understand what you meant and where your goals are - they sound great.

    I might have a commercial broker to put you in touch with - feel free to PM me for details. Also, there is a nice meet-up we've been having in your hometown to meet other like minded investors.

    Looking forward to seeing you around.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.