New investor from Iowa City, IA

New investor from Iowa City, IA

Investor · Iowa City, IA · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 3 votes

My name is Elliot and have been listening to BP podcast for the last month or so; I'm hooked!  I got my feet wet in the early parts of 2015 with a buy-and-hold duplex in downtown Iowa City. This area is huge for renting to college students/staff from The University of Iowa with lots of potential growth.

I graduated with a Health Science degree and currently work full time for a Bone Marrow Transplant Program at The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. I also freelance as a skydiving instructor and professional demonstration jumper for events large and small.  In my free-time I also serve as Reserve Sheriff Deputy for Johnson County.

I recently joined BP as a PRO member with the intention to grow my business in real estate, network, and possibly find my next deal or partner.  I like to learn, so I can't wait to see what other members on this site have done in real estate!

0Reply
39 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 1 vote
5y

Thank you @AJ Leman, and I would love to attend and begin my long game journey.  How frequently do said meetups take place and when?  I really wish I lived in Tiffin 10 years ago as what a change that has occured.  Prices continue to rise here.  

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Cedar Rapids, IA · Member since 2014 · 71 posts · 38 votes
    10y

    @Elliot Kelley welcome to BP!  I work in IC on various U of I construction projects but invest in CR. Not really familiar with the IC market but would imagine there would be a great market around the campus. 

  • Systems Engineer · North Liberty, IA · Member since 2012 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Andrew I've been trying to find a wholesaler in CR for a flip. Know any good ones?

  • Investor · Juneau, AK · Member since 2015 · 980 posts · 741 votes
    10y

    welcome Elliot, you literally jumped right in ( pun intended) and very impressed with how you work in landlording with your busy and exciting life....

  • Investor · Cedar Rapids, IA · Member since 2014 · 71 posts · 38 votes
    10y

    @Beau Brown I really don't work with wholesalers. I saw your other recent post and I haven't seen anything worth buying in the under 30k range for a long time. Are you looking to flip or buy and hold? I see your in Iowa but are you familiar with the Cedar Rapids area? Are there any areas of town that you are more interested in or not interested in?

  • Systems Engineer · North Liberty, IA · Member since 2012 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    I'm in North Liberty. Buy and hold is the end goal but I was thinking the SW side of CR is ready for a turn around as many of those houses are getting reno'd but still selling at very reasonable prices. Im always looking for and would still entertain a good multifamily buy, but most of the stuff I've seen in the IC area are ridiculously priced at or above retail. The NL market is the same way at the moment. 

  • Investor · Iowa City, IA · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Thanks for the welcomes, I'm excited to see who all is around the area in the buy-and-hold market.

  • Home Builder / Developer / NH Realtor · Manchester, NH · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    10y
    Welcome to BP Elliot! :) Best of luck to you on your new venture here on BP. Like you I am also a newly joined Pro member with hopes of learning, meeting and helping others finding great success in the Real Estate rental market. Let me know if I can be of any help to you.
  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    Just came across this thread and am brand spanking new to the real estate investor game.  Burning through these podcasts as fast as I can, also reading Brandon's book "How to Invest in Real Estate" and am very excited to start exploring ideas and properties.  I live in Tiffin, IA and am not quite ready to jump in with two feet.  I am currently in the networking phase trying to gather knowledge and prepare myself to make moves when the time is right.  I am very handy and would love to connect with like minded people and potential down the road learn how to help others while helping myself.   

  • Investor · Iowa City, IA · Member since 2017 · 137 posts · 85 votes
    5y

    Hey @Dan Caraher,

     Welcome to BP. Lots of great info here! There is a virtual meetup that you may find helpful run by some folks in the corridor. Let me know if that is if interest to you.

    We invest in and around the area. It’s a good market. Good luck on your journey! Tiffin is a booming area!!

  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    Thank you @AJ Leman, and I would love to attend and begin my long game journey.  How frequently do said meetups take place and when?  I really wish I lived in Tiffin 10 years ago as what a change that has occured.  Prices continue to rise here.  

  • Investor · Iowa City, IA · Member since 2017 · 137 posts · 85 votes
    5y

    Dont worry, ten years from now people will be saying the same thing.

    Look up Doug Karkow on BP - he runs the meetup.  It happens once a month.

    Best of luck

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.