Nurse, Investor · Hudsonville, MI · Member since 2015 · 28 posts · 4 votes
My wife and I have one duplex which is our first investment property. We lived in one side and fixed it up and then moved to the other side and are fixing it up currently. We are looking to do the same several times over. After we have a few duplexes, we would like to get into larger unit complexes and vacation rentals. I am much more committed to buying and holding long term in order to get a good consistent income that won't go away.
I am a emergency room nurse full time and investor part time and my goal is to flip that around some day to be a part time nurse and full time investor.
Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 2 votes
10y
Hi Mitchell, welcome to BiggerPockets. You are in the right place. There is a ton of people just like you and a wealth of knolwedge here in BP. Listen to podcasts, read on topics that you are interested in, involve in discussions, and talk to other people. You can also go to local meet-ups and there is one in Grandville, second Monday of every month, 6-8pm at 44th st Buffalo Wild Wings.
I highly recommend setting your keyword alerts to your relevant areas - Michigan, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, whatever floats your boat. If you're looking for a specific type of knowledge, you can set those words too (such as 'flip,' 'hard money' 'duplex' etcetera). That way, you can jump into relevant conversations quickly.
Real Estate Professional · Lansing, MI · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 8 votes
10y
@Mitchell Van Overloop I am planning to do the same thing with the duplex I am living in. My boyfriend and I are renting the lower unit, and our landlord reimburses us for most of the changes we make. We are looking into buying the place and flipping it. Best of luck to you, and welcome to BP!
Residential Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2013 · 803 posts · 689 votes
10y
@Mitchell Van Overloop Sounds like you have a plan to move forward. This site is full of great information. Let me know if you ever need help finding that next duplex. I am a Realtor that specializes in working with investors all over the GR market.
Nurse, Investor · Hudsonville, MI · Member since 2015 · 28 posts · 4 votes
10y
@Lauren Baker Nice work! It's a lot of fun to make improvements and always a good skill in the real estate market! Keep it up and you'll have a deal in no time.
Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 5 votes
10y
Welcome Mitchell,
This is definitely the place to be to learn. Congratulations on purchasing a duplex to start out. I unfortunately was unable to persuade my wife to do the same. And thanks for all you do as a nurse, that's a tough job for sure.
Nurse, Investor · Hudsonville, MI · Member since 2015 · 28 posts · 4 votes
10y
@Jeremiah Jordan Yea it took a little while to convince her, but once we got in there and fixed them all up, she's totally onboard and wants to live in duplexes for 5 more years to get thiings rolling :)