Which cities in the US have the best rental properties?

50 Replies

Originally posted by @Dan G. :

Hello, 

My name is Dan and I'm new to Bigger Pockets and to real estate investing. There aren't many great deals in my area so I'm thinking about investing out-of-state and using a property manager. Where in the US can I get the highest possible cap rates for single family homes (preferably 3/2/2) without having to buy in bad neighborhoods that would have a lot of evictions/vacancies and other headaches?...Dan

What  is your investment budget? That sort of dictates both where (location) and what price range you invest/play in. Also housing price growth is not always speculation in some areas but rather a driven by demand and supply of inventory in that particular area.

Major cities in TX. DFW & Houston specifically. Yes taxes are high but the population growth and economy is outrageous. We all know that these homes do not perform unless there is someone willing to pay you rent to live there. Why not limit that vacancy risk by investing in a state and city that is seeing the highest population growth in America. 400 people a day move to DFW! If you want a property that you will be able to easily lease and keep occupied go with DFW and Houston.

Originally posted by @John Larson :

Major cities in TX. DFW & Houston specifically. Yes taxes are high but the population growth and economy is outrageous. We all know that these homes do not perform unless there is someone willing to pay you rent to live there. Why not limit that vacancy risk by investing in a state and city that is seeing the highest population growth in America. 400 people a day move to DFW! If you want a property that you will be able to easily lease and keep occupied go with DFW and Houston.

This dude is right on.  I live in San Diego and wouldn't invest anywhere else but Houston (well soon PHX and Vegas simply because Houston stock is having a hard time keeping up :)

Cody

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you