An Accountant's Bob Villa's Dream - South Florida

An Accountant's Bob Villa's Dream - South Florida

Accountant · Coconut Creek, FL · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 1 vote

Hey everybody! My name is Kia and a few months ago I moved back to South Florida from Iowa...got out just in time for the winter! My intention here on BiggerPockets is to learn more about the rehab side of the business. I have some relatives that have experience with residential properties so I'll be getting some hands-on experience soon. I figure changing a couple of plumbing pipes and tiling a few floors will help me get into the trenches in order to start my education. As a kid, I was fascinated with Bob Villa's television shows and thought one day I could be the female Bob Villa, but those ideas were abandoned due to the real world saying you need to get a "real job". So now I'm an accountant for a small non-profit and looking to pursue those childhood passions again. If you have any tips on how to break into the rehabbing business or just need me to paint a wall let's chat.

1Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Weston, FL · Member since 2015 · 44 posts · 24 votes
10y

Congrats and welcome to BP and south Florida.

Hands-on is the way to break into this business is what I've found.

You need hustle so stick with it.

Check out the webinars, funny, informative, and inspirational.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Weston, FL · Member since 2015 · 44 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    Congrats and welcome to BP and south Florida.

    Hands-on is the way to break into this business is what I've found.

    You need hustle so stick with it.

    Check out the webinars, funny, informative, and inspirational.

  • Investor · Cedar Rapids, IA · Member since 2013 · 494 posts · 407 votes
    10y

    welcome @Kia Rainey There's lots to learn but it's fun.  Good luck.

  • Accountant · Coconut Creek, FL · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Thanks @Glenn McCrorey! I'm looking forward to the journey. Hope your not getting to much snow!

  • Accountant · Coconut Creek, FL · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Thanks @Miguel Perez, hustle is the word that stuck with me last night on the 6 Steps for Newbies webinar. I definitely understand I have to get my hands dirty.

  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Kia Rainey:

    As a kid, I was fascinated with Bob Villa's television shows and thought one day I could be the female Bob Villa, 

    You couldn't have done that.  Because I was going to be the female Bob Villa.  I was fascinated by that show in a way that all the fix n flip shows on TV just doesn't satisfy.  The contrived drama, lack of detail and overall fast pace of today's tv shows just doesn't hold a candle to Bob and Norm tackling old wainscotting or crown moulding or keeping a turn of the century house from sliding down a cliff.  Throw in their laid back attitudes and broad New England accents and it's an era of TV that's sadly missing today.

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets!

  • Mike HurneyPro Member
    Real Estate Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 542 votes
    10y

    @Miguel "Mike" Perez Welcome.

    "hands on" I agree!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.