New Investor in South Florida. Looking for MFRs

New Investor in South Florida. Looking for MFRs

Miami, FL · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 3 votes

Hello BP! 
I have been looking on the site and listening to the podcasts for a while now ( I have listened to over 50 of them so far, Great job on them!) and decided I feel confident enough in my plan to finally make a post in hopes to reach out and start connecting with other investors, contractors, lenders, agents, ect! 

So here's the background. @Danielle Larsenand I are looking to buy a 3-4 unit MFR in Dania Beach, in hopes to house hack and live in one of the units while renting out, and cashflowing on the property. We are definitely leaning towards a fourplex at this, because... why not? Go big or go home. I think the difference between 3 and 4 units will also allow the ability to cash flow even while we are not paying rent depending on the property. The plan for financing is to use a FHA 203k loan and finding a property that may need some minor or serious rehab to get up to a newly-emerging market standard. I dont mind the more serious rehab because although I am absolutely NOT a handyman (I work with saltwater aquariums and marine biology) it doesn't sound like the FHA 203k allows for the owner to do the work anyway. Is that correct?

Here are my questions:

Does anyone in the Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Dania Beach, Hollywood area know, or happen to be a 203k lender that is familiar with the process, and investor friendly? 

I have what I believe to be a good team put together between plumbing, electrical, landscaping, and general contractors, but will I be able to use anyone who is not on the "203k approved" list?

Once I get the 203k Prequalification, am I free to go shopping? Am I able to go finding home owners and asking them if they are interested in selling? Will that complicate the 203k process or is it the same thing? If not, what property types are "off limits?" I know short sales and REOs are supposed to be much more difficult with 203k loans from what I have read. 

Thank you all, I look forward to meeting everyone!
Xavier

3Reply
42 views

Most Popular Reply

Residential Real Estate Broker · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2016 · 33 posts · 21 votes
10y

203k loans does not have to be listed on the MLS for you to qualify. However, income, assets and reserve are a must. 2 to 4 units are not considered commercial so this specific loan is perfect for what you want to achieve. Please contact me at your earliest convenience and I will assist you as I am in the fort Lauderdale, Hollywood Dania area

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 99 posts · 32 votes
    10y

    Good luck Xavier

    Is a borrower allowed to do the rehabilitation work?

    While this is allowed under FHA and Fannie Mae's guidelines, most lenders do not allow "self help." This ruling was put into place to mitigate the risk associated with the loan.

    http://203krehabnow.com/frequently-asked-questions...

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2016 · 33 posts · 21 votes
    10y

    203k loans does not have to be listed on the MLS for you to qualify. However, income, assets and reserve are a must. 2 to 4 units are not considered commercial so this specific loan is perfect for what you want to achieve. Please contact me at your earliest convenience and I will assist you as I am in the fort Lauderdale, Hollywood Dania area

  • Miami, FL · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jose R.:

    Good luck Xavier

    Is a borrower allowed to do the rehabilitation work?

    While this is allowed under FHA and Fannie Mae's guidelines, most lenders do not allow "self help." This ruling was put into place to mitigate the risk associated with the loan.

    http://203krehabnow.com/frequently-asked-questions...

     Thanks for the link @Jose R. 

  • Miami, FL · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    203k loans does not have to be listed on the MLS for you to qualify. However, income, assets and reserve are a must. 2 to 4 units are not considered commercial so this specific loan is perfect for what you want to achieve. Please contact me at your earliest convenience and I will assist you as I am in the fort Lauderdale, Hollywood Dania area

     Thanks, I will send you a PM now! Thanks for the help!

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2016 · 33 posts · 21 votes
    10y

    Anytime

  • Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    10y
    Have you been pre approved for the loan yet?
  • Miami, FL · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    @Raymond DiazNo. We are looking for a lender with a lot of 203k experience right now.

  • Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    10y
    Vdiaz@myccmortgage. com She has been working as a loan officer for three years now and can get you what you need. Contact her with any questions that you have.
  • Miami, FL · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Thanks for the reference @Raymond Diaz Does she work with 203k loans?

  • Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    10y
    Yes, she works at a firm that works with the majority of loan for properties, she is currently helping me with mine!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.