New Member soon to be in Oklahoma City

New Member soon to be in Oklahoma City

Investor · Prosper, TX · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 3 votes

My name is Carson Brickey, and I will soon be moving from SE New Mexico to Oklahoma City. I am actually from Katy, Texas, and I graduated from Texas A&M University in May of 2015. In the past year I graduated, began working as a petroleum engineer, moved to New Mexico, got married, and now my wife and I are expecting our first child in July.

I have been fortunate enough to avoid the layoffs in the oil & gas industry thus far, and will be transferred to Oklahoma City soon. We hadn't planned on having kids so quickly, but hey things change. That, paired with the unstable industry I'm working in, has driven me to think about ways to increase my passive income. And thus I found my way to REI and BP.

I'm still wanting to build up my emergency reserves, but I feel like there might be some good opportunities emerging soon in OKC. I'm thinking the downturn in Oil & Gas might provide a good time to enter the OKC market. I'm also interested in the College Station, TX market due to the steady inflow of new renters every year. 

I'm about 25 BP podcasts in, and I've read Rich Dad Poor Dad since the first 25 BP podcast guests all mentioned it. I'm still trying to learn a lot more before I make my start. Next step for me is to read the UBG!

3Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 58 votes
10y

With my partner, Jimmy, we just started a Meeup called OKC Real Estate Deal Maker Sessions.  Our first meeting will be on April 11th, 2016 at the Tower Hotel in Oklahoma City.  We will meet on the 2nd Monday of each month thereafter.  Go to www.meetup.com and join.  It is free to join and it is free to attend the meetup.  We will be inviting all the real estate investors in OKC to present wholesale deals.  We hope that there will be Buyers too.  This is a national organization, and we are glad to be a part of it!

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Homeowner · Perkins, OK · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Welcome!  Let me know if there's anything we can do to help.

    Robert Gould

  • Real Estate Broker · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 58 votes
    10y

    With my partner, Jimmy, we just started a Meeup called OKC Real Estate Deal Maker Sessions.  Our first meeting will be on April 11th, 2016 at the Tower Hotel in Oklahoma City.  We will meet on the 2nd Monday of each month thereafter.  Go to www.meetup.com and join.  It is free to join and it is free to attend the meetup.  We will be inviting all the real estate investors in OKC to present wholesale deals.  We hope that there will be Buyers too.  This is a national organization, and we are glad to be a part of it!

  • Deborah BurianPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 412 votes
    10y

    Hey Carson, welcome from a fellow OKC investor.  Shoot me an email if we can do anything to help.

  • Rental Property Investor · Yukon, OK · Member since 2013 · 44 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    Welcome!!

  • Investor · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2013 · 277 posts · 78 votes
    10y

    @Carson Brickeywelcome to BP! Congrats on all of your life events recently, that's awesome. I wish I had started investing in real estate just after college as well. 

    OKC is a great market to get started in. There are plenty of neighborhoods in town with nice houses that aren't prohibitively expensive for a new investor. Start crushing through some of the books on this list and you'll be very prepared once you decide to dive in. Feel free to drop me a line if there is anything I can do to help.

  • Rhett TullisBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 617 votes
    10y

    lots to look at and do here in okc.  good idea to not depend so much on oil/gas industry (although not sure anyone can really leave it all together).  let me know if there is any way I can be of service to you.

  • Full Time Investor · Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2013 · 320 posts · 154 votes
    10y

    @Carson Brickey check out The Savvy Landlord Radio Show for a great podcast from a local Oklahoma Guy!  Good luck with your journey.

  • Investor · Prosper, TX · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 3 votes
    10y
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Richard McLain I don't think I'll make it to OKC before the first meeting, but I hope y'all have a good turn out! Tyler Flagg thanks for that reading list I was looking for some more books to read!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.