New to REI: what 5 books would you read?

New to REI: what 5 books would you read?

Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 19 votes

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to get into real estate investing in the next year or two, but I want a full education (or as much of an education I can get from books) before I even think about making my first deal. I have a high-paying, full-time job that I'm not looking to replace, but rather supplement with passive income and tax breaks in the future (ie buy & hold with a management company). 

What books would you recommend for a newbie like me? Here's my tentative list:

1) The Book on Rental Property Investing by Brandon Turner

2) The Book on Managing Rental Properties by Brandon & Heather Turner

3) What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow... And 36 Other Key Financial Measures, Updated Edition by Frank Gallinelli

4) Hold: how to find, buy, and rent houses for wealth by Gary Keller

5) The happy couple's guide to investing in real estate : a comprehensive manual for working together as a couple to build a brighter future by Chakib Jaber
- Admittedly, this last one is help quell my wife's anxiety about REI

What are you thoughts on my book list? Any suggestions of your own?

0Reply
11 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 167 posts · 89 votes
    10y

    Looks like you've got a buy and hold strategy in mind. Honestly, I love both Keller and Turner's books and find them to be pretty solid. I'm also a fan of Robert Kiyosaki (although, NEVER pay to attend any workshop branded with his name... you could save time tossing $20s in to a fire).

    Another book I like to recommend to buy and hold investors is "What Every Landlord Needs to Know" by Richard Jorgensen. It's an easy read, but it prepares people for handling their investing like a business rather than a hobby which I find is MUCH more common of a problem than one may think.

  • Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 19 votes
    10y

    Thanks for the response Seth, I'll take a look at those. Would you suggest Kiyosaki's "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" or his "Cashflow Quadrant"?

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 76 posts · 64 votes
    10y

    I liked Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller, The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs by J Scott, The One Thing by Gary Keller, The Book on Investing in Real Estate with No an Low Money Down by Brandon Turner, and Rich Dad Poor Dad. Those books should get you started!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.