New member living in Houston Texas 77007

New member living in Houston Texas 77007

Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 2 votes

Hello all,

I just joined the BP community after listening to the podcast for about 3 weeks and reading up on some real estate investment material. I plan to practice analyzing good rental deals in my current area, after viewing this video that Brandon posted on YouTube "How I quickly Analyze a Rental Property for Cash Flow". 

I plan to purchase my first home this year, and prefer to purchase a townhome in the inner loop (preferably Rice Military/ Heights vicinity), but I know it is a pricey area. My plan was to purchase live in it, then transition it to a rental. I thought it would be good to run the rental investment numbers as if it were a rental deal to ensure it is a good investment. I am sure I will be reaching out soon to get everyones opinion on whether my analysis' are legit. Excited to get started!

Thanks,

Devin

1Reply
22 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 2 votes
    10y
    Great to hear about your life a little bit Devon. I'm from the Victoria area so not too far from you. Keep up the research and never be afraid to ask questions. People are always willing to help here on BP. Best of luck. Chris
  • Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Welcome Devin. I also live in that area. It will be interesting to see how the market responds in the next 8 months as well as some of the areas in East Downtown / 3rd Ward. Anybody Houston real estate analysts have any thoughts?

  • Real Estate Investor · Houston , Spring TX, TX · Member since 2014 · 34 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Welcome Devin Hedgepeth. I also purchase a live in to get started. I'm really enjoying the Real Estate life. I'm learning so much. If you have any questions inbox me

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    10y
    I have been wondering the same thing Michael. I think there is typically a lag from the oil industry taking a hit but not sure how that will relate to our area. Gut feeling was around winter would be a good time to purchase?
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Spring, TX · Member since 2015 · 99 posts · 62 votes
    10y

    @Devin Hedgepeth

    Welcome to BP!

  • Licensed Real Estate Broker & Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2012 · 521 posts · 104 votes
    10y

    @Devin Hedgepeth Hey Devin, welcome to Bigger Pockets!

    I'd hesitate to say that there are abundant opportunities to buy for future rental potential inside the loop, but it is certainly possible. What's more likely is that your primary residence will appreciate to the point where you'll be able to re-finance and pull equity out of the property. That money can then be used to finance additional rental properties.

    Best of luck with this strategy and let us know if we can ever be of assistance!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.