New member in the Kansas City area

New member in the Kansas City area

Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 1 vote

Hi, I am new to the real estate investing world. I would like to eventually create my own rental property business with single family homes. I have read many books and talked with many people already in the business. I do not know where to start or how much money is needed to start with my first property. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated! Have a great day!

1Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
10y

@Account Closed

Welcome. Fill in the foundation below.

Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers). Find them through Google and meetup.com

Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Consider checking out HUD homes for small multi's owner occupied gets first crack.

Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

Good Luck

Paul 

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lenexa, KS · Member since 2015 · 206 posts · 53 votes
    10y

    Hey Blake, welcome to BP. I'm a buy/hold investor & Realtor living in Lenexa & investing in KCMO. Feel free to reach out, I'd gladly help you start down this wonderful path of investing. 

  • Jill DeWitPro Member
    Investor · Scottsdale AZ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 423 votes
    10y

    Hello @Account Closed and welcome to BP. BP is a great place for new real estate investors. Not only can you connect with other investors, you can take the free online courses and watch the free online videos that BP has to offer! You came to the right place for real estate investing and I wish you all the best.

  • Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 104 posts · 47 votes
    10y

    Welcome Blake,

    I am a newbie investor also. One advantage you have is the opportunity to invest locally and I would suggest that you use that advantage. I would say that you could get in with a 15-20k cash starting point depending on the property class, location, and strategy of your investing, as long as you are financing. Just my newbie opinion. Good luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2016 · 58 posts · 52 votes
    10y

    Blake, I'm not far removed from being in your shoes.  This year I finally went from learning and reading to "doing" and bought my first duplex in Shawnee.  This website is amazing, the hardest part for me was finally telling myself I understand the basics and will learn the rest as I go (they refer to it often on here as analysis paralysis).  I just joined MAREI (Mid America Association of Real Estate Investors) and attended one of their meetings this week.  It's a great place to network, I would highly recommend it.  Would be happy to share what I have learned

  • Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 104 posts · 47 votes
    10y

    Welcome Blake,

    I am a newbie investor also. One advantage you have is the opportunity to invest locally and I would suggest that you use that advantage. I would say that you could get in with a 15-20k cash starting point depending on the property class, location, and strategy of your investing, as long as you are financing. Just my newbie opinion. Good luck!

  • ., OH · Member since 2015 · 361 posts · 127 votes
    10y

    Welcome @Account Closed. You have already set yourself up for success by joining BiggerPockets!!
    This is really the premier place to start learning about RE and what it can do for you!

    Since you asked (the most asked question ever) how does one get the initial capital to invest in a RE deal. Well, that answer lies within math and yourself. See, first, what do you want to do (you mentioned SFH). Ok, so if you want to buy a SFH, you'll need at least 3 1/2% (FHA) or closer to 20% (conventional) for a down payment.. so for an 'average' $100k house, that mean $3.5 or $20k..

    There are several other methods to raise money (side hustle, wholesale, etc..) but you need some to start. The "invest in RE with NO money down" concept is a farce.

    1. First things first, learn the basics --> http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

    2. Then, download the BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide and start reading some more!!
    The UBG will will walk through many of the key topics of real estate investing. Ask anyone here, its an invaluable resource. --> https://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investin...

    3. Once that's done, get to listening to the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A really great podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. --> https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/category/...

    4. Now you're ready to face the RE world !! GO GET IT!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Overland Park, KS · Member since 2016 · 205 posts · 85 votes
    10y
    Blake, welcome to BP! Feel free to reach out anytime.
  • Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Thanks for all the responses! What a cool site to talk to like minded people! I can see how this can help keep you motivated.

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Account Closed

    Welcome. Fill in the foundation below.

    Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers). Find them through Google and meetup.com

    Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

    Consider checking out HUD homes for small multi's owner occupied gets first crack.

    Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

    Good Luck

    Paul 

  • Real Estate Services · Olathe, KS · Member since 2015 · 329 posts · 57 votes
    10y
    Welcome to BP! I am in Olathe and like to connect and chat.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.