New to Norwalk

New to Norwalk

Hendersonville, TN · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 9 votes

Hi BP Community!

My family and I just relocated to Norwalk, CT from WI. I've been interested in real estate investing for awhile, I've read several books from the bigger pockets peeps and an avid podcast listener. AND I just watched my first webinar (thanks Brandon)! I'm mostly interested in SF rental and flipping. I'm still trying to get my hubby on board with all this, he is the non-risk taker (that's a good thing, we balance nicely).

My first question for the community: I've been thinking of getting my real estate license, even while I lived in WI. Is there benefit in having it for doing deals? I would think it would be an asset. My hubby is on board with me taking the classes and getting my license. 

I look forward to talking more with everyone! Thanks in advance for your input!

2Reply
71 views

Most Popular Reply

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Norwalk, CT · Member since 2016 · 203 posts · 69 votes
    10y

    Welcome!

  • Rental Property Investor · Norwalk, Connecticut (CT) · Member since 2016 · 140 posts · 44 votes
    10y
    Hey there! I'm moving to Norwalk in a few weeks. We're in the process of closing on a house. I'm also getting into investing and have thought being a realtor would help find deals. So I say yes. Do it. Hope to catch up with you soon in the city.
  • Hendersonville, TN · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed Awesome! What area will you be in?? I really love it so far. I did a lot of research before moving and so happy with the area. Look forward to meeting you!

  • Hendersonville, TN · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 9 votes
    10y
  • Realtor · Norwalk, CT · Member since 2016 · 203 posts · 69 votes
    10y
  • Hendersonville, TN · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    I'll try to get to the meet up. Thanks!

  • Rich N.Pro Member
    Investor · Haverhill, MA · Member since 2015 · 761 posts · 328 votes
    10y

    Welcome to biggerpockets

  • Jill DeWitPro Member
    Investor · Scottsdale AZ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 423 votes
    10y

    Hi @Alison Koenig and welcome to the BP community. BP is a great place for all things real estate. BP has free online courses and videos for you to watch and learn. BP also has it's own podcast in itunes for you to listen to as well. The possibilities are endless. You came to the right place and I wish you all the best. 

  • FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 357 votes
    10y

    @Alison Koenig,

    Welcome to the Best Real Estate Site on the Net.
    It is always nice to see another Ct., resident in the forums.
    Click on the "Education Tab" at the top of the page, and you could be spending many hours on the Information that is available.
    Raymond

  • Rental Property Investor · Norwalk, CT · Member since 2013 · 276 posts · 147 votes
    10y
    Welcome to Norwalk!! I also live here and work here and in surrounding towns. If you would like to get together there is a great investor Meetup on Thursday mornings at 7am at Valencia Luncheria on Main Ave in Norwalk. Then there is also always the monthly meetup at Anna Liffeys that was mentioned earlier.
  • Hendersonville, TN · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    Thank you @Daniel Raposo and @Raymond B.! I don't think I can get to the morning meet up but I'm hoping to get to the evening one. Also thanks for the education tips! I will definitely look into them!

  • Hendersonville, TN · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    I see that someone "voted" for me, what does that mean? Is it a "like" as in Facebook or an "endorsement" as in Linkedin? 

  • FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 357 votes
    10y

    @Alison Koenig,

    A vote for you is the same as a like at Facebook or an "endorsement" at Linkedin.

    Raymond

  • Hendersonville, TN · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    Thanks @Raymond B.!

  • Ashburn, VA · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Hello there, I may be moving to Norwalk area in the next few months with my family of 4. 

    Looking to do a live-in flip.  Can anyone recommend an agent to help find a fixer-upper in a top-school neighborhood?

    thanks!

  • Hendersonville, TN · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    @Juan Gisone...welcome! I'm really loving Norwalk, just got here in April. From all my research and where I settled, the East side is the best school side (east of Hwy 7/Merritt Parkway) and I settled in the Cranbury area which does have the highest rated Elementary school. Wolfpit is the other good one, same-ish area. Or you can go a little North to Wilton that has excellent schools, or a little farther east to Westport, but Norwalk is by far the most affordable. I have found some good flip deals in Wilton I've been investigating but we aren't ready to buy. I'm not a realtor (yet) but I could definitely answer a lot of questions for you because I just did all the research before we moved and have really been doing a lot to start planning my first flip. Let me know if you are interested in chatting more! 

  • Actuary · Norwalk, CT · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    Hi Alison! I am new to REI as well, but not new to Norwalk or CT, so if you have any questions about the area maybe I can help. As for your question about getting your real estate license, everything I've heard in my research, it seems like it's a pretty individual decision. I plan on getting mine. In one podcast I listened to, the couple was able to make/save 45K because the wife got her RE license. It might have been J Scotts podcast now that I'm thinking about it (Flipping 101).

    Here are some links on pros/cons getting a real estate license:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2010/02/2...

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/02/1...

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/04/1...

    Best of luck. (And maybe see you around!)

    Courtney

  • Kim HandelmanPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Guilford, CT · Member since 2014 · 193 posts · 88 votes
    10y

    Welcome@Alison Koenig I am an investor here in the Fairfield - New Haven area. I just got my license to aid in my investing but have found that I am really liking being an agent. I just signed with an amazing broker named Adriana Morrell. We're with the Higgin's Group. I couldn't be happier. I go to most of the BP meet-ups at Anna Liffy's or if you'd like to talk one on one, I could do coffee (ok, I drink tea) one day or evening if evenings are better for you.

  • Kim HandelmanPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Guilford, CT · Member since 2014 · 193 posts · 88 votes
    10y

    Hmmm, Just thought that through, was that last post promoting? If so please excuse the fopaux! I'm a new agent and am simply excited about where I am. Sorry folks! 

  • Investor · New Haven, CT · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    @Alison Koenig, I'm a new member up in New Haven, CT. One thing I've learned in my recent purchase of a Fannie Mae REO is that they do not allow anyone affiliated with a broker to purchase a Fannie Mae listed home that is listed by that brokerage (even if in another office). I'm sure there are plenty of ways around this if one is interested in FM REO's, but thought I would mention it.

  • New Haven, CT · Member since 2016 · 90 posts · 99 votes
    10y

    @Alison Koenig

    My girlfriend just started her classes at The Connecticut Real Estate Institute in Stratford, which is said to be the better place to go. You have one in Norwalk, and yes it will help vastly. Even if it's used as a tool just to buy and sell properties on your own, i'm sure you will make back the money it costs to maintain your license, office, MLS etc. My best friend says he sells about (2) $200,000 homes on the side and that covers everything for the year at Century 21. Imagine when you want to look up a house in MLS or schedule a showing for yourself and it takes a minute vs.. hold on let me find my realtor or a realtor and wait for them to get back to me. I have missed out on a few extremely good properties because he was busy for a day or two.

    Go get it, it will help.

    Matt

  • Hendersonville, TN · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 9 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Kim Handelman:

    Hmmm, Just thought that through, was that last post promoting? If so please excuse the fopaux! I'm a new agent and am simply excited about where I am. Sorry folks! 

    I don't know if it was promoting or not but I appreciate the info! I will starting the classes to get my license in the fall. Thank you everyone for the helpful info! Kim I am planning on getting to the next meet up or would love to meet for coffee or something. Thanks again!

  • Real Estate Broker · Windsor, CT · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 268 votes
    10y

    Welcome to biggerpockets! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Ridgefield, CT · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 37 votes
    10y

    @Alison Koenig Welcome to CT and glad to read all your excitement for the area! 

  • Investor · Stamford, CT · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    welcome Alison - another newbie investor here, also in the area. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.