New member from Texas (stationed in Mississippi)

New member from Texas (stationed in Mississippi)

San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 1 vote

Greetings all!

I'm going to say it upfront. I'm a complete newbie! I'm 27 and have been in the US Air Force now for 9 years. I've been married to my beautiful wife Elisa for four years now. I'm an Information Technology supervisor in the Air Force, and will continue this field after retirement. Currently, our goal is to make the military a career and retire at 20 years (so about 10 years from now), and soon after move back to San Antonio, Texas and begin our Commercial Real Estate ventures there. As previously mentioned, we're complete newbies, all that know is that between Residential and Commercial real estate, Commercial is the way to go. So for the next half of my career, we plan on gathering as much knowledge needed through these forums, connections, and articles to successfully delve into our real estate venture. 

We can't wait to start learning!

-Jesse

1Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Meridian, MS · Member since 2015 · 39 posts · 10 votes
10y
Where in MS are you? I'm stationed in Meridian. The family and I are working on our first investment property right now. Should be down in the next couple week. Send me a PM if your nearby maybe we can get a cup of coffee and bounce ideas off each other.
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Meridian, MS · Member since 2015 · 39 posts · 10 votes
    10y
    Where in MS are you? I'm stationed in Meridian. The family and I are working on our first investment property right now. Should be down in the next couple week. Send me a PM if your nearby maybe we can get a cup of coffee and bounce ideas off each other.
  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Hey Joseph, I'm currently stationed in Biloxi here at Keesler AFB. How has your first business venture process been going?

    -Jesse

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Look into a book called the Armchair Millionaire. It talks about owning triple net commercial properties (NNN) in a passive sense. Thank you for your service.

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Jesse Lerma

    Welcome. Thanks for your service. Have a buddy who closed on 242 units while deployed. Fill in the foundation below.

    We do free MultiFamily investing training for veterans EMAIL me for info my BP PM does NOT work check my profile.

    Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

    Check out BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide - A fantastic free book that walks through many of the key topics of real estate investing.

    Check out the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. And you get the benefit of having over 100 past ones to catch up on.

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers). Find them through Google and meetup.com

    Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

    Consider checking out HUD homes for small multi's owner occupied gets first crack.

    You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

    Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

    Good Luck

    Paul 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.