Newbie in Minocqua, WI (The Northwoods)

Newbie in Minocqua, WI (The Northwoods)

Minocqua, WI · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 3 votes

My name is Brittni Romaker, and husband and I just moved from Texas (where I've been my whole life). His family is here, we have no kids, so we decided why not?! I graduated college a few years ago (and have finally started using my degree), and Ryan is retired Army currently pursuing his passion, BUT we are really interested in learning about REI and want to dive in! We both currently work and are trying to work our butts off to pay off the wedding, move, etc. But, I know that if we wait until all of our financial "stuff" is all settled, and our ducks are all in a row, then we might be waiting forever!

I am 26, my husband is 30, and we are both doing what we love, but neither of those jobs are going to bring us the financial freedom that we are looking for. Actually, we want to always do those jobs part-time because they are our passion, they will just never make us the money or provide us with the life that we want.  I do psychosocial rehabilitation counseling, and run a one-woman office for a construction company, and he is a personal trainer and welder. We are big dreamers with goals of living abroad, owning real estate all over the place, traveling, and living a financially free life together just exploring and enjoying life. Many people are dreamers, but we have the motivation and gumption to do it, we just need the education to learn. Without kids or any major ties to anyone (or any place)... we know that now is the perfect time to learn and jump in, we just need help... hence BiggerPockets! 

It's nice to "meet" y'all, and we are so glad to be here!

~ Brittni Romaker 

1Reply
23 views

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Trexie E.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Support · Davao, Davao del Sur · Member since 2015 · 937 posts · 163 votes
    10y

    Hi @Brittni Romaker

    Welcome aboard! We are happy that you have joined BP! I can't wait for you to get started. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or clarifications. We are always happy to help!

    BiggerPockets
  • Investor · King of Prussia, PA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 339 votes
    10y

    @Brittni Romaker welcome to BP! Best/first thing to do is get educated. Read read read! Read books on investing in real estate, listen to the podcasts, attend webinars and stay active on the forums while connecting with other investors in your area and pick a niche. Best of luck!

  • Minocqua, WI · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Thank you @Trexie E., I'm very excited.. and I'm sure I will have tons of questions once I get educated enough to have some! ;)

    Thank you@Ayodeji Kuponiyi, I have already listened to a few podcasts and I am signed up for a webinar, and I have downloaded the ebook.. I want to learn as quickly as possible!!

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Brittni Romaker

    Welcome. Thanks for your husbands service.

    Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers). Find them through Google and meetup.com

    Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

    Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

    Good Luck

    Paul

  • Investor · King of Prussia, PA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 339 votes
    10y

    @Brittni Romaker have you picked a niche? Are you interested in SFH? Duplex,Triplex, Fourplex? 5+ units (apartments) mobile homes, storage, etc?

  • Minocqua, WI · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    @Paul Timmins Thank you so much for the info!! I will look into all of that!! (Love the profile pic by the way- Barbara is awesome!) Since we just moved from San Antonio, TX to a tiny little tourist town, the connections are going to be more difficult, but hopefully there are still some up here! haha 

    Again, thanks for the info!

  • Minocqua, WI · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    @Ayodeji Kuponiyi I don't know yet... I just got my husband excited about this idea the last few days, so we are super newbies. I would prefer SFH or duplexes I think, and I love the idea of flips- I definitely have the personality for it :) We have always been very interested in owning storage units, but so far it has seemed like that is very expensive to get started in... - I guess we just need to find that hidden deal that allows us to get started without using much cash upfront or hurting our credit. I've read different stories of people being able to do it with nearly no money down if they look hard enough and hustle lol I'm just at the point now that I know I've got the personality and drive for it and I'm ready to make that decision that will change our lives, I just need to learn how.

  • Investor · King of Prussia, PA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 339 votes
    10y

    @Brittni Romaker Continue researching and educating yourself. Find your niche and learn as much as you can about it. You don't want to be a 'jack of all trades,  master of none'. Avoid the the shiny object syndrome and find that one niche that you enjoy and master it.

  • Minocqua, WI · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    @Ayodeji Kuponiyi I definitely will. I want to find our niche and then become the best at it. I have been listening to podcasts and heard a lot of the "shiny object syndrome" thing that newbies get. I will be careful not to do that. So far, my husband and I love the idea of being able to somehow purchase the duplex that we are in, live in the one we are currently in and then live rent free because the one next to us. Both are constantly rented. It's a great layout and amazing location. People try really hard to get these duplexes, but they always get snagged the second they are available (which is great from an investment standpoint). We could do some updates (cosmetic) and then when we are ready to leave WI we can keep them both and rent them out for a bit more to cater to the clientele that want the more updated/modern home. I think that will be our first focus for getting educated, because that might (might- not sure yet) be a good place for us to start... ? Still just brainstorming... 

  • Investor · Woodruff, WI · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Hello Britain, I am a local investor in the Minocqua/Woodruff area, if you guys want to get together and chat sometime about the area and opportunities here let me know. We could use a Northwoods REIA

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.