New member from SF Bay Area (originally from Russia)

New member from SF Bay Area (originally from Russia)

San Rafael, CA · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 2 votes

Hi all! I've recently moved to US for work - I am a software developer working in Silicon Valley. 

After reading "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" a few months ago, I started thinking about the ways to generate income other than my current job. 

I've spent some time to find out what strategies might work in Russia - but then we moved to US, and I have to learn here. On one of the financial forums I've stumbled upon a link to BiggerPockets, so now I am here.

I have no savings and no credit history - so I am facing this challenge with only my determination.

1Reply
10 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 69 posts · 16 votes
10y

Welcome to the site! It's a great place for learning. I highly recommend the podcasts. 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 69 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    Welcome to the site! It's a great place for learning. I highly recommend the podcasts. 

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    Welcome @Georgii Ivankin.

    You will want to establish US Credit. 

    Most common way to fast-track that, if you have no super close friends/family/etc in the US, is to drop $500 on a secured credit card, put $25 on it and pay it off as soon as the bill comes, wait a month or two for it to appear on your credit report, then get two or three standard credit cards, $25/month each just like above, then wait another month or too, and poof you now have decent credit.

  • San Rafael, CA · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Thanks @Jake Van Vorhis
    I will definitely look into them!

    Thank you @Chris Mason, that was I was planning to do more or less. Additionally, I've found a bank that offers unsecured credits for expats based only on employment verification letter, so I am on track )

  • Professional · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2014 · 876 posts · 301 votes
    10y

    Welcome @Georgii Ivankin, best of luck on your real estate investment journey!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.