Building engineer excited to dive into real estate investing

Building engineer excited to dive into real estate investing

Ontario, Canada · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 19 votes

Hey BP community! 

My name is Matt and I live in Toronto, Ontario. I've read the ultimate beginners guide to real estate investing and it has definitely peaked my interest. 

I went to school for civil engineering and just recently started my career with a building engineering firm. My job consists of assessing properties for a variety of real estate investment companies to provide capital plans for major repairs. I have been exposed to multi-res, condominiums, commercial, and industrial buildings and am learning a ton about building construction and operation. 

Student loans have just recently been paid off so now I am looking to invest in money-generating assets. I have also been researching stock investing and current market conditions which intrigues me but seems more risky than real estate. 

I am excited to learn more about real estate as an investment option. As part of my introduction I would love to get some feedback from the community about:

  • resources that apply to Canadian real estate
  • best places/property types/strategies to start investing with little capital
  • how I can get the most out of my job to compliment real estate investing

Ps. Hobbies/interests include travel, hockey, golf, snowboarding, sailing, and drinking craft beers. 

1Reply
23 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.