New Member In Salt Lake City, Utah

New Member In Salt Lake City, Utah

Accountant · Midvale, UT · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 1 vote

Hello BP Community!

My name is Garrett and I've just joined the site yesterday.  I just found the BP podcast last week so it's been a new, exciting few days listening to the podcasts and reading all the content.  

As a way of introducing myself, I was born and raised in Dallas, Texas.  I attended university in Utah and obtained my Bachelor's in Accounting and my Masters in Tax.  After school, I moved to San Francisco to work for a public accounting firm, focusing on real estate and technology.  11 years ago, I moved to Salt Lake City to continue my career in public accounting, working on multifamily, private and public REITs, storage, homebuilders, and tech companies.  

I am now a tax partner at a locally owned CPA firm in Salt Lake City.  Much of my time is spent advising my clients on tax issues as it relates to real estate and other industries.  I have a lot of experience from the tax and accounting side of things but I'm now thinking about doing my own investing and so I'm currently in the information gather / process phase.  Recently I've been reading a lot of books and listening to podcasts to try and find my niche or at least an area of real estate that I'd be interested in investing.  Right now, I'm thinking of starting small and getting into the vacation rental space.  For those of you who haven't visited Utah, there are a lot of vacation opportunities, for locals and those who visit from other states.  We have mountains, skiing, lakes, hiking, etc.  So, I feel there are opportunities in this area.  Anyway, that's where my heads at now.  Maybe that will change.  

I look forward to meeting and interacting with all of you.   

Thanks!

Garrett

1Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Roy, UT · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 4 votes
10y

Welcome @Garrett Koerner ! I too just joined the site yesterday! Glad to see another person from Utah. You may come in handy when tax season rolls around again. Are you going to remain with your CPA firm in SLC as you venture out into REI?

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Roy, UT · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Welcome @Garrett Koerner ! I too just joined the site yesterday! Glad to see another person from Utah. You may come in handy when tax season rolls around again. Are you going to remain with your CPA firm in SLC as you venture out into REI?

  • Accountant · Midvale, UT · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Thanks @Amanda Prince! Yes, my REI activities will take place in addition to my day job! I love what I do, working with clients and solving their tax problems so nothing will change there.

  • Investor/Agent · Eagle Mountain, UT · Member since 2013 · 44 posts · 14 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP @Garrett Koerner and @Amanda Prince!  There is diffinitely a lot of information to take in with the podcasts and forums.  It's also pretty neat that you can network and get ideas from investors here in our area about and find out what's working or just brainstorm about an idea (like the vacation rentals).  What area are you hoping to find those in? 

  • Real Estate Agent · Ogden, UT · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    Welcome @Garrett Koerner,

    Utah has so many different ways to invest in RE. Truly an amazing place to be and invest!

  • Accountant · Midvale, UT · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    10y
    Kammon Hiatt thanks for the reply. I've been tempted with the Bear Lake area. I have some ideas that I think would work with Airbnb and VRBO but I'm still trying to refine my approach. I would also like to find a duplex in Salt Lake City.
  • Investor/Agent · Eagle Mountain, UT · Member since 2013 · 44 posts · 14 votes
    10y

    @Garrett Koerner we love going Bear Lake, and in fact, my familly just got back last week.  Unfortunately, I didn't get to go with them this time since I was at scout camp.  Good luck with finalizing your plan and I look forward to hearing about your success.  Feel free to contact me if you ever need help in the Salt Lake market.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.