4 High School Graduates that want Financial Freedom

4 High School Graduates that want Financial Freedom

Real Estate Investor/Flipper · Altoona, IA · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes

                                           Potentially Meaningless Backstory       

_._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.

Graduating high school felt like more of a chore than an accomplishment. Attempting to look into the next chapter of my life, it was nothing but a haze. Even the idea of college didn't feel right, although I have already been admitted and will be in a dorm with a stranger not 30 days from now.

At orientation we played a get-to-know-you game where a question ball was passed around. The ball was eventually fumbled around to me due to the plethora of uncoordinated music majors and my question read:

What is your dream job? 

Without hesitation I simply said, "To not have one." The group found it clever but I was even surprised myself. There was no conscious effort in thinking up such a reply. I pondered my own response and asked myself what it meant. It was years and years of the education system conditioning my mind as well as everyone else's. "Get good grades to get into a good college to get a good job and raise good children that get good grades to get into a good college to get a good job and raise good..." My brain was telling me that it didn't have to be that way. It was then I realized that I had a true thirst for Financial Freedom.

_._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.

                                             Potentially Less Meaningless Information

Now, I am here, with three others who want the same as I (One of which who has recently made there introductory forum post @NathanThompson). The four of us plan to reach the bulk of our financial freedom through real estate investing. 

As mentioned in Nathan's Intro, we have no real estate experience other than our book knowledge and our own attempts to vaguely analyze properties and understand our own market. In the next 30 days we will all be at a university, myself at the University of Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls and the other three at the University of Iowa in Iowa City.

We all come from central Iowa (Des Moines/Pleasant Hill/Altoona) and are currently debating on whether or not we close our first deal in a market that we have grown up in only to be shipped off to University a month later, or to wait, and learn our market in a college town and invest there. 

_._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.

                                              Almost finished, don't worry

Essentially, we are four ambitious individuals who want to get our "skin in the game" (cliche, I know). It is time to put the books down and take action.

That being said, any advice from anyone regarding real estate investing in Iowa City and in college towns in general would be greatly appreciated. 

                Salute to anyone who took the time to read all this,

                                                                                                    Steven.

_._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.        

                                                              Books

  • Think and Grow Rich
  • Rich Dad, Poor Dad
  • The Richest Man in Babylon
  • The 4-Hour Work Week
  • The Art of War
  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
  • The ABCs of Real Estate Investing
  • The Book on Rental Property Investing
  • The Book on Investing in Real Estate with No and Low Money Down
  • The Book on Flipping Houses
0Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Xenia, OH · Member since 2016 · 41 posts · 25 votes
10y

I liked reading your post!  Welcome, and congratulations on having already taken great educational steps towards your goal of financial freedom! 

Do you guys have capital?  Who's bank-rolling tuition/room/board?  (Loans, parents, scholarships, self, etc)  My gut says take first semester to learn your market and develop a local plan to execute come second semester. 

And...please...don't screw up freshman year with those common time-management/social life pitfalls!  Keep everything in balance and moderation, if you can.  Even if you ultimately don't think college is right for you and decide to leave, you'll want to leave in good standing to keep doors open in the future.  (I dropped out by deliberate choice in good standing to gain work/life experience because I felt I was spinning my wheels in college initially...and dropped right back in to the same school on my employer's dime a couple years later because I left in good standing.  And they paid for a masters a few years after that.  And they're paying for my PhD now, 16 years after I initially dropped out!  Crazy.)

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dave VisayaPro Member
    Moderator
    Audio Engineer and Investor · Cebu City, Cebu · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 881 votes
    10y

    Hey @Steven Hove, glad to have you here! Let us know how we can help! And you should jump in, the community is pretty great here. You'll love it :)

    BiggerPockets
  • Real Estate Investor · Iowa City, IA · Member since 2013 · 13 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    Hi Steven,

    I have lived in the Iowa City area for about 25 years.  Before that south of Des Moines for 8 years and before that (K-4th grade) I was in Pleasant Hill.  You say you have your first deal, but didn't say where it was.

    Is it a property that you would have a manger look after or family member(s)?  The Iowa City area is growing and there will always be college students to rent to, but you didn't say what kind of deal you are looking for.  

    Let me know and I can give you what I see from my perspective. 

    But welcome to the community on both fronts!

    Tim

  • Xenia, OH · Member since 2016 · 41 posts · 25 votes
    10y

    I liked reading your post!  Welcome, and congratulations on having already taken great educational steps towards your goal of financial freedom! 

    Do you guys have capital?  Who's bank-rolling tuition/room/board?  (Loans, parents, scholarships, self, etc)  My gut says take first semester to learn your market and develop a local plan to execute come second semester. 

    And...please...don't screw up freshman year with those common time-management/social life pitfalls!  Keep everything in balance and moderation, if you can.  Even if you ultimately don't think college is right for you and decide to leave, you'll want to leave in good standing to keep doors open in the future.  (I dropped out by deliberate choice in good standing to gain work/life experience because I felt I was spinning my wheels in college initially...and dropped right back in to the same school on my employer's dime a couple years later because I left in good standing.  And they paid for a masters a few years after that.  And they're paying for my PhD now, 16 years after I initially dropped out!  Crazy.)

  • Rental Property Investor · Marion, IA · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Hey Steven. If you want to get into real estate I might suggest not going to college, especially if you're undecided on what you're going for. Instead I would suggest getting a job that is real estate related and saving up some money to get into your first deal. One of the best ways in my opinion is to buy a four plex with a fha loan and you will control your first four units with very little upfront investment. Best of luck to you, and welcome to the site.

  • Real Estate Investor - Internet Marketing Professional · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 181 posts · 41 votes
    10y

    @Steven Hove congrats on having a dream and making it happen.  

    Might I suggest reading the following two books:  The Miracle Morning and Traction as well.  They're helpful in the sense that they'll give you some organization to your business.  I actually live out in Denver, but also invest in Des Moines/Iowa as well.  I could use some extra hands/boots on the ground out there, and if you're interested we can talk and get you going.  We can see if we're a good fit and go from there.  

    Thanks,

    Austin-

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.