Newbie looking to get into flipping and rentals... any tips?

Newbie looking to get into flipping and rentals... any tips?

Beachwood, OH · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 1 vote

Hello Everyone,

My journey to real estate investing started when I decided not to pursue health-professional school because of the high cost of debt. I calculated, upon graduation I would be over $300k in debt. That's not what I wanted and overall I lost interest in the professional. Real estate was my backup option because my parents have been involved in the profession for over 30 years. I am currently in the process of my first flip through hard money. I also want to build a rental portfolio with flipping on the side. I need a strategy. Any tips?

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 22 votes
10y

There are a few forums you might want to review to help your knowledge. Here are a few I replied to: 

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/311/topics/35...

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/49/topics/352...

I would also review this group: 

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/12-starting-o...

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 114 votes
    10y

    Hi and Welcome to Biggerpockets @Otis Bevel! All the best on your real estate ventures!

  • Real Estate Agent · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 22 votes
    10y

    There are a few forums you might want to review to help your knowledge. Here are a few I replied to: 

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/311/topics/35...

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/49/topics/352...

    I would also review this group: 

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/12-starting-o...

  • Jill DeWitPro Member
    Investor · Scottsdale AZ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 423 votes
    10y

    Hello @Otis Bevel and welcome to Bigger Pockets! Bigger Pockets is your golden ticket to great success. Get deals done the right way and reach out to experienced real estate investors on Bigger Pockets.

    Congratulations and I wish you all the best.

  • Spring, TX · Member since 2016 · 70 posts · 13 votes
    10y

    Welcome @Otis Bevel, good financial choice on the college, i chose the same path on skipping college debt. Thats awesome your parents are involved in real estate and can give you some pointers. Also kinda following your same strategy of cash flow with some flipping and wholesaling on the side. My tip would be to network and get as much info from BP as you can, and when your ready, pull the trigger

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    This is at once a thoughtful question, and a meaningless one :)

    Everyone who succeeds in this game does so in their own way, @Otis Bevel. It's impossible to offer any thoughts on a strategy that'll work for you. But, it's certainly a good thing to think about!

  • Beachwood, OH · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Thanks for all of the feedback! I really appreciate the advice! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Lehi, UT · Member since 2016 · 136 posts · 91 votes
    10y
    Take lots of pictures, document your repairs and costs, and treat it like a business. The flippers who I know that struggle just want these "rich dudes" to give them money for a flip without any organized or professional data to back up their requests. If you want a great relationship with a hard money guy then have a professional looking portfolio to show them. Find some top producing listing agents who you can rely on for good market data. Good luck!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.