New 22yr Old Member from Northern California!

New 22yr Old Member from Northern California!

Fairfield, CA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 2 votes

Hi!

Hi there, my name's Jonny and I'm living here in Fairfield, CA. I have never purchased a property, but hope to in the very near future.

I'm 22 years old and currently own and operate a Cell Phone & Tablet Repair Business locally; about 4 years in and would love for it to run on its own, but have been scared to replace myself -- shutting down seems foolish after establishing such a great name. (unfortunately, I'm not at all excited about the business)

My girlfriend and I are currently studying for our RE License, mainly for access to the MLS. Heck, I may enjoy selling homes, but who knows?!

What Brought Me Here?

  • I have never enjoyed paying rent. To save on living expenses, my girlfriend and I stay with her family, but it comes at the cost of our sanity and we are quite ready to get out!
  • I have yet to be employed by anyone but myself and really love the flexibility. There is also something so rewarding about taking care of the people that support your business.
  • My current business is of no interest anymore. It's rewarding, but not what I want to be doing.
  • There is a certain drive that keeps me moving forward, and REI seems like a perfect fit.
  • Nearly every successful person around me owns a significant amount of RE. They seem far happier than those who don't. 
  • All my life people have worried about money. I don't want that worry, and I want to help others rid themselves of it too.
  • For the last year or so I've listened to every existing BiggerPockets podcast and finally decided to begin following the online community as well. I have been analyzing deals locally and out of state to get a better grasp on what numbers look like for different types of properties. 

What Type of REI?

  • Buy and Hold Multi-Family Properties

Eventually, we would like to have our hand at flipping but aren't in a financial place to do it on our own at the moment. If the opportunity presents itself through friends and/or family, we will definitely tackle it. 

Short-Term Goal:

  • Purchase a duplex or 4-plex, ideally, that can be house hacked. We are incredibly open to purchasing elsewhere if it means Cash Flow!! 

Long-Term Goal:

  • Build a portfolio that replaces our income. 
  • Be financially stable and independent. (I don't mind giving up some fun now if it means more flexibility in the coming years) 

Problems:

  • In previous years, I wasn't thinking about RE or buying a house. I should have been! Now, my tax returns are weak and are insufficient for a loan. 
  • Being in the same house as my girlfriend's parents, we had always wanted to be somewhere else. This led to careless spending and purchases that prevented us from saving.

Potential Advantages:

  • Never having been employed, I am incredibly creative and fight to make things work even when they seem impossible. (Often succeeding)
  • My girlfriend and I have parent's that could potentially co-sign and/or give us a loan to get started. (We have yet to ask!)
  • We have met a great variety of people in the area who are well established in their lives.
  • Recently, we realized we weren't saving and have started!

HELP:

Everyone's help and opinions are so greatly appreciated, and we look forward to hearing from you all.

Please definitely leave some feedback and advice. My ears are open, and we're ready to do what it takes to get started as quickly as possible!

Happy Holidays!

Jonny

1Reply
9 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Madison, CT · Member since 2014 · 710 posts · 458 votes
9y

@Jonny Allen. My first "deal" was a condo that I lived in for a few years, then rented out. It's been  fine investment, but I wouldn't do it now, and I wouldn't recommend others start with a condo. 

My first purely investment deal was a two-family house in a suburb about 20 minutes from where I live. It came from the MLS. It had been on the market for a while, so I put in a very low offer that was at first rejected, but the sellers came back to me after they had better offers fall through. I put 25% down, using some savings and a cash-out refi on the condo.

All of my properties are local, but I have considered diversifying a little. Connecticut does not have the best long-term outlook for population growth, so that's definitely in the back of my mind.

Hope that helps!

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Madison, CT · Member since 2014 · 710 posts · 458 votes
    9y

    @Jonny Allen. I love your goals and your vision. All great stuff. Work hard and keep learning. You'll get there. Reach out if you have any specific questions about multifamily investing or specific properties you are considering. 

  • Fairfield, CA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    9y
    Kevin Siedlecki Thanks for the response and encouragement Kevin! Great to know it's the right track to be on. Also, thanks for the support on future questions and properties. I'll definitely take you up on that and run some things by you when they come up. For now I suppose I'll fire a few at you: Do you invest in your local area or are you involved with anything longer distance? I definitely understand that for a a first property, it's useful to have it close by for experience and management purposes. How did you structure your first deal and why did you feel it was time? Details? - % down - partner? - multi/SFR? - big/small? - local? - where did it come from? Thanks!!
  • Investor · Madison, CT · Member since 2014 · 710 posts · 458 votes
    9y

    @Jonny Allen. My first "deal" was a condo that I lived in for a few years, then rented out. It's been  fine investment, but I wouldn't do it now, and I wouldn't recommend others start with a condo. 

    My first purely investment deal was a two-family house in a suburb about 20 minutes from where I live. It came from the MLS. It had been on the market for a while, so I put in a very low offer that was at first rejected, but the sellers came back to me after they had better offers fall through. I put 25% down, using some savings and a cash-out refi on the condo.

    All of my properties are local, but I have considered diversifying a little. Connecticut does not have the best long-term outlook for population growth, so that's definitely in the back of my mind.

    Hope that helps!

  • Fairfield, CA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    9y
    Kevin Siedlecki Yea definitely all good things to know! Thanks for your help, I'm sure you'll hear from me again soon
  • Fairfield, CA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    9y
    If anyone else wants to chime in with any starting advice please do!!
  • Investor · Litchfield, CT · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Hey @Jonny Allen, I'd suggest, since you say funds are a bit short at the moment, that you start exploring all of the creative ways to get your first deal. If you haven't read it, Brandon's book on low and no money down (www.biggerpockets.com/nomoney/) is fairly inclusive and does a great job of explaining a lot of the creative purchase options out there. 

    I'm very new to this as well, studying for about the last year or so, but what I've found is that just like they say in the podcasts, and in their articles, you'll be really surprised who has a bunch of money to invest when you start networking and getting the word out that you're looking to invest. 

    Learn the numbers, present a solid deal to your potential investors, and you might just walk into a deal faster than you think. I'm right there with ya. Good luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.